I guess we can't cruise Alaska with Carnival...

aidansaunt2004

Other lines occasionally have to leave passengers behind, too. Just this year, Princess had to leave a large group behind in Skagway. I think there were 60+, although some were from other lines. They had taken a kayaking excursion (through the ship) which involved taking the Alaska State ferry to Haines and back to Skagway. When it was time to leave Haines, the waters were too rough for the Ferry to get to Skagway. Princess put them on the Ferry to Juneau, with overnight accommodations, and meals. the next morning in Juneau, they chartered a high speed catamaran to delivered them back to the Princess ship in Glacier Bay. EM

We had to eliminate quite a few ships because they don't port in Seattle at the beginning or end of the cruise. Seattle seems to be our less costly option to fly into. Currently it is about $700 for coach for the two of us.

The reason we liked the spa amenities is due to the fact that it was so easy to relax. We decided to invite another couple with us on vacation the last time (we will NEVER do that again!) and when we needed a break we could go into the steam rooms or the thalasso pool and it was basically always empty so it was a pretty nice experience. We had an inside spa room and this time we'll probably have an inside as well so we can save money for excursions etc.

I understand other cruise lines aren't going to have the 2.0 upgrades. It's Carnival's newest thing and if we're cruising Carnival it would be neat to try. I don't require the 2.0 upgrades as I realize it's going to take time to install those options on the ship.

As far as the food comparison of NCL & Carnival, I was simply trying to make a point. The sushi on Carnival is free and so is the pizza. On NCL you have to pay for both. On the Dream for instance, there is a burrito bar, a pasta bar, the buffet, a deli, the grill, the bbq on the lanai etc to choose from during the day, which are all free of charge. On the NCL ship you literally have the buffet and main dining rooms that are free of charge. If a couple was to eat at any of the for a fee places on NCL once a day for 7 days you're looking at an additional $35-$350 just for one meal a day. I can see having one or even two for fee restaurants but I think 10 is overkill. NCL also charges for entertainment on some ships such as the Epic. It just seems like NCL has come up with ways of getting extra money even though their prices are already higher than some of it's competitors.

We were considering the Princess Island but it ports out of Anchorage and Vancouver. The flight would cost us $1500+ for coach. Unless it drops drastically over the next 2 months, it won't be an option.

The HAL Westerdam looks like it might be our option. I looked through some menus last night and they seem to have a pretty good variety of things offered. They have the upgraded spa as well. The only thing I'm concerned about is the entertainment. I've read that the entertainment isn't "Vegas or Broadway" style from some people but then others say it is.

Our main purpose for going on a cruise is to relax and sightsee. The amenities and things offered of course help. We aren't concerned about there being a ton of food because on our last cruise most days we would eat two meals at best. The point I was trying to make is that if something is available you will be tempted to try it and that can add up pretty quickly.

The RCCL event from a few months ago really put me off. In order for the majority of people to go on a cruise they have to take time off work, make arrangements for pets and children, book hotels, flights etc. For a large company to not take any of that into consideration, to me, is wrong on various levels. Carnival went above and beyond their duty. They flew in people who didn't have travel insurance etc. to meet the ship. I think that's exceptional customer service and they deserve praise for doing so. I know someone mentioned some not so great decisions years ago by Carnival and I'm honestly not aware of them. Maybe if I would have had a bad experience with Carnival I would feel differently, but I've had nothing but pleasant experiences.

There are many more free venues than just the MDR and Buffet on NCL. Also, not all the for fee places are $25-$30 a night, many are $10-$15. In a week we usually average $100 total for DW/I for the specialty restaurants. As far as CCL goes, we always go to the Steakhouse at least once during the trip, which is $60 for the two of us just for that meal. So $40 total is not going to sway me one way of the other.

I'm not trying to sell you on NCL, just letting you know that for certain you don't need to spend anywhere near $350 extra to cruise them and eat well....

We had to eliminate quite a few ships because they don't port in Seattle at the beginning or end of the cruise. Seattle seems to be our less costly option to fly into. Currently it is about $700 for coach for the two of us.

The reason we liked the spa amenities is due to the fact that it was so easy to relax. We decided to invite another couple with us on vacation the last time (we will NEVER do that again!) and when we needed a break we could go into the steam rooms or the thalasso pool and it was basically always empty so it was a pretty nice experience. We had an inside spa room and this time we'll probably have an inside as well so we can save money for excursions etc.

I understand other cruise lines aren't going to have the 2.0 upgrades. It's Carnival's newest thing and if we're cruising Carnival it would be neat to try. I don't require the 2.0 upgrades as I realize it's going to take time to install those options on the ship.

As far as the food comparison of NCL & Carnival, I was simply trying to make a point. The sushi on Carnival is free and so is the pizza. On NCL you have to pay for both. On the Dream for instance, there is a burrito bar, a pasta bar, the buffet, a deli, the grill, the bbq on the lanai etc to choose from during the day, which are all free of charge. On the NCL ship you literally have the buffet and main dining rooms that are free of charge. If a couple was to eat at any of the for a fee places on NCL once a day for 7 days you're looking at an additional $35-$350 just for one meal a day. I can see having one or even two for fee restaurants but I think 10 is overkill. NCL also charges for entertainment on some ships such as the Epic. It just seems like NCL has come up with ways of getting extra money even though their prices are already higher than some of it's competitors.

We were considering the Princess Island but it ports out of Anchorage and Vancouver. The flight would cost us $1500+ for coach. Unless it drops drastically over the next 2 months, it won't be an option.

The HAL Westerdam looks like it might be our option. I looked through some menus last night and they seem to have a pretty good variety of things offered. They have the upgraded spa as well. The only thing I'm concerned about is the entertainment. I've read that the entertainment isn't "Vegas or Broadway" style from some people but then others say it is.

Our main purpose for going on a cruise is to relax and sightsee. The amenities and things offered of course help. We aren't concerned about there being a ton of food because on our last cruise most days we would eat two meals at best. The point I was trying to make is that if something is available you will be tempted to try it and that can add up pretty quickly.

The RCCL event from a few months ago really put me off. In order for the majority of people to go on a cruise they have to take time off work, make arrangements for pets and children, book hotels, flights etc. For a large company to not take any of that into consideration, to me, is wrong on various levels. Carnival went above and beyond their duty. They flew in people who didn't have travel insurance etc. to meet the ship. I think that's exceptional customer service and they deserve praise for doing so. I know someone mentioned some not so great decisions years ago by Carnival and I'm honestly not aware of them. Maybe if I would have had a bad experience with Carnival I would feel differently, but I've had nothing but pleasant experiences.

Earlier in the threas I think Tapi recommended the Golden Princess. Is there a reason you are not considering that ship?

Bill

We've been to Alaska on Carnival and HAL. Like HAL better (which was Vancouver-Anchorage) because we had a longer time in ports. Flew to Seattle, took a shuttle (scenery was fab) to Vancouver. Just did Seattle-Seattle in June on Carnival. We were rushed in 3 of the ports. I would never do it again. Also, went in September and June. Weather fine for both but really liked the longer days in June. There is no bad scenery in Alaska and I loved the June trip with many hours of light.

Food good on both but HAL has waayy better room service for breakfast. We found both cruises to be quieter than a Caribbean cruise. Honestly, didn't take part in many of the ship's activities, there is just too much to see and do in Alaska. BTW, Vancouver is wonderful, might want to take an extra day or so there.

Libtrek

Just another plug for NCL Pearl.......we did our Alaska cruise with her. I did alot of research before picking this ship....we had a fantastic time....unfortunately we did not get to use the Spa facilities, but if I remember correctly, we did tour it and it was really nice.

Another nice thing about NCL is that they have the 24hr complimentary restaurant, The Blue Lagoon...which is nice to have a restaurant to go to for some things like burgers, chicken wings etc.

We did not pay, nor were ever tempted to go to a specialty restaurant....there was plenty to eat that was free.

Here is a review I did at the time with pics.....if you are interested, that is.....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1209493

Good luck with your decision....whichever ship you decide, Alaska is beautiful, so if you can swing an aft balcony, be sure to snap one up.....the views are incredible from both sides of the ship!!

Such good info..well then another mainstream plan option with the larger Spa is nice..so NCL..yeah.

Holland America and then Princess have been the best big hitters and competitors with long going experience and many special land extras to each.

You always get more Alaska getting to Vancouver...but i would like ease of Seattle from here too....sarah

I've been looking into an Alaskan cruise for at least 6 months. In September we were on the dream and we fell in love with the cloud 9 spa. We enjoyed the thalasso pool and the steam rooms. The only Carnival ship that is going to Alaska in 2012 is the Spirit and it isn't getting any of the 2.0 upgrades and it doesn't have the updated spa. It's heartbreaking because we really enjoy Carnival and we've only cruised with Carnival. I've looked at HAL and Princess and we had narrowed it down to some of their ships until I realized the best Princess ships (the Coral & Island) don't port in Seattle which will double our airfare, making it out of the question. I'm really at a loss and I don't know what to do. Celebrity seems a little too "stuffy" for us because we're laid back and I've heard HAL's entertainment is lacking. NCL and RCCL aren't even in the equation. If you have ANY advice, please let me know. I've heard that some people use a train between BC and Seattle but that won't work with Anchorage. :(

Not sure why NCL is out of the equation. We did Alaska on NCL Pearl--wonderful ship. Everything was awesome.

Nothing like standing on your balcony in Glacier Bay drinking hot coco made in your cabin:)

I feel so bad for my Dad..because he worked there as a kid before marriage and moi..his only other cruise was a great one with Hal in the 80s..there...but down low in the porthole level on old Nieuw Amsterdam and this summer..the fanciest turning 12 trip for of course the last of the 7 grandkids is Alaska due to his cheer leading and hey...that is ok..it just looks like the funds and circumstances for whole family of 18 will not work as always dreamed of .... unless a lottery and other issues get better but...he gets to share it again with mom and grandchild ..but guess way mom found to share it??..Disney..LOL...I know Disney is wonderful, I would love to try sometime and grandchild will love..they will find a way to do Alaska and see scenery but this is sooo not his choice and they just have a lower level outside again..no balcony..but their rooms are great for granny, papa, and one granddaughter, they will be well suited for this situation but...oh well OP..blessings on getting a better fit..Sarah

Sounds like cost is the biggest factor, so stick with Carnival. We did Alaska on the Spirit two years ago and it was fine, but when we go back in 2013 it will be on Celebrity.

By the way, NCL does have free pizza, and I'd rather pay for good sushi than eat free sushi that is pre-made and mediocre at best. As a couple of others have mentioned, NCL has venues other than the main dining roomsand buffets that are included with your cruise fare, they just have more for-a -fee options than others.

I've been looking into an Alaskan cruise for at least 6 months. In September we were on the dream and we fell in love with the cloud 9 spa. We enjoyed the thalasso pool and the steam rooms. The only Carnival ship that is going to Alaska in 2012 is the Spirit and it isn't getting any of the 2.0 upgrades and it doesn't have the updated spa. It's heartbreaking because we really enjoy Carnival and we've only cruised with Carnival. I've looked at HAL and Princess and we had narrowed it down to some of their ships until I realized the best Princess ships (the Coral & Island) don't port in Seattle which will double our airfare, making it out of the question. I'm really at a loss and I don't know what to do. Celebrity seems a little too "stuffy" for us because we're laid back and I've heard HAL's entertainment is lacking. NCL and RCCL aren't even in the equation. If you have ANY advice, please let me know. I've heard that some people use a train between BC and Seattle but that won't work with Anchorage. :(

We cruised Alaska on the Spirit in '06 and then again in '09 on Princess. Honestly, I can't tell you much about the ship because I could have been in a dingy and not noticed much else besides Alaska! The only "spa" on the Spirit we were interested in was the outside hot tub as we cruised thru some of the most serene beautiful scenery imaginable. THAT is something you don't get to do every day!

Alaska. Port days are long. We only ate in the MDR twice each trip. It wasn't about the ship food either!

We did a lot of deck sitting watching whales, dolphins, etc.

In the Caribbean? That's a whole other story. Food, entertainment, party time!

As someone mentioned, Princess runs shuttles out of Seattle. We flew to Seattle, then to Fairbanks and after disembarking in Vancouver rode a bus to Seattle. I don't think that's the route I'll go next time. Long and expensive.

Alaska...ahhhhhhhhhh...it's not about the ship.

This board got me looking. Westerdam goes to Sitka! We loved Sitka but Carnival doesn't stop there anymore. Beautiful little island and our tour with Davey was outstanding. Downside: tender port & rougher waters getting back to mainland; but not worth giving up Sitka.

Island Princess did have a very good naturalist. They also brought folks onboard a couple times for lectures. Loved the Gathering better than any "non MDR" choices on Carnival (and some Carnival MDRs!). It was open all hours and had a great selection. It was also indoors. Princess comedian and illusionist (?) were both very good. I wasn't thrilled with our selection of travel; but that was my bad. I drank the wrong kool aid!:o

Sounds like you are doing some extensive research. Plan it as if it will be your only trip ever to Alaska...don't miss a thing you might want to do even if it seems entirely too expensive...but then be stunned that you get off the ship planning your next trip back to Alaska!

I can see having one or even two for fee restaurants but I think 10 is overkill.

:confused:

Overkill?? Really?

LOL..I consider that variety and options. I especially like this on long cruises. I know I am going to miss those numerous options when I take my next CCL cruise which is a long one.

We cruised HAL on the Zuiderdam to Alaska on our honeymoon cruise this year. While that sailed out of Vancouver, which you don't want to do - the ship itself is the same style as the Westerdam out of Seattle. We really enjoyed the HAL experience, and they are well known for Alaska, though much pricier than Carnival!

As others suggested, Princess has at least one ship as well that does roundtrip Seattle, though we did not choose them since we wanted to sail out of Vancouver.

We really enjoyed Glacier Bay, which both Princess & HAL do on a regular basis.

Good luck and hope you find the right fit for you!

[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=RoyalBlue]I don't believe the Golden Princess has an updated spa. I looked at their website, and read the review on CC and I don't see anything about the thalasso pool etc. If my memory is correct, I believe they have the outside against the current pool that allows 16 year olds in it. The review states it was constantly filled with kids...that is if I'm thinking of the correct ship. I'm being picky about the spa options and I'm aware of that. It was a large portion of our relaxation. I know we'll see a lot of pretty things etc... but even an hour a day in the spa would be worth it to us.

I would be okay with the cruise starting in Seattle and ending in Vancouver or vice versa. We can find transportation back to Seattle pretty easily from what I've read. I understand the food for instance isn't a make it or break it deal. We're really only looking for 2 things....

A Seattle port and an updated spa. When I search with the Seattle port it limits it to I think 13 cruises and I would guess around 7 ships.

I've done extensive research as far as prices, what it looks like, what is offered, where it goes, spa amenities, what type of entertainment is provided and I've read numerous reviews. I've even taken the time to search CC threads and look at pictures.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Note the beginning and ending ports.

DAY DATE PORT ARRIVE DEPART
Tue Sep 11 Seattle, WA 4:00pm
Wed Sep 12 At Sea
Thu Sep 13 Juneau, AK 2:00pm 11:00pm
Fri Sep 14 Glacier Bay National Park, AK
Sat Sep 15 Skagway, AK 7:00am 4:30pm
Sun Sep 16 Ketchikan, AK 11:00am 7:00pm
Mon Sep 17 Inside Passage (Any Port)
Tue Sep 18 Vancouver, BC, Canada 7:00am

[quote name='cruzeluver']Sounds like cost is the biggest factor, so stick with Carnival. [/quote]

Actually Iv found that Carnival is more expensive to Alaska. Have you actually priced them out? I suspect its because Carnival only has one ship and HAL has 3 ships, that HAL has the bargains. I see prices from $449 and $499 closer up for the May dates for instance on HAL but not bargains on Carnival Spirit.

Don't overlook that Spirit is going into dry dock next month and while not the 2.0 upgrades, for the 2012 season she'll have a handful of changes in preparation for her going down under - so some fun changes nonetheless.

Whatever you decide, dress warm and get a balcony. If you want to relax, sitting on your private balcony (as long as its not raining) watching the eagles, whales, and other wildlife is very relaxing. At least I find it so.

We like Carnival, and love the Spirit.

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='teacher34']I understand what you mean about the spa . My husband and I sailed on the Dream last Mar. and we also fell in love with the spa and the thallaso pool and everything else . We also are going to Alaska the end of May 2012. What we decided is that we will be spending most of our time on deck looking at the beautiful sceanery and out on excursions, so on this trip the spa is not as important to us. When we sail the Caribbean that's a different story. We want so much to see Alaska and Carnival is really the most economical way to do that, plus we really love Carnival, so we're willing to give up the spa for this trip. Good luck making your decision. I can't wait to see Alaska![/quote]
[I] I agree.. Although I have never booked a spa suite seeing Alaska on Carnival is the way to go.:)[/I]

I know you've stated you want the Cloud 9 spa. But I don't think I'd let that stop me from going to Alaska!

The reviews here can only barely touch on the experience. It is truely otherworldly!

So, I'd ask myself..."is it the Spa I want or Alaska?".

Just my $.02 worth.

Adding in my two cents:

I agree with the earlier posting about Princess and their tours. We did the land and sea tours with them and it rocked out! Pricey but worth every penny. I would highly recommend any FIRST TIME visitor to Alaska to take advantage of Princess and their tours.

That said, next time, I will go with Carnival for a variety of reasons, cost being a major factor. I feel comfortable with doing my on thing on land before a cruise.

A couple of thoughts:

We picked a really nice cabin suite on Princess and it was nice but the balcony was huge and exposed. Given that it rained 7 out of the 7 days of the cruise, we could not sit out and enjoy the balcony, even with blankets. Lesson learned, no suites in Alaska. A covered balcony would have been the better choice.

If you cruise the Caribbean, be prepared to NOT enjoy the pools as much as you do in the Caribbean. That sounds like an obvious statement, but it isn't. It was a dead area.

The bottom line is choose what you like and ask the questions you need to make the right choice for yourself. You'll love Alaska!

[B][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=2][COLOR=RoyalBlue]I've been researching options and reading the forums every single day. I had decided on the HAL Westerdam but for the price of an inside room I can get a balcony on Carnival. We would like to have a balcony but I think we've decided on an inside room that is forward so we can access the balcony at the end of the corridor. There is approximately a $900 difference between a forward inside cabin on the verandah deck and the cheapest unobstructed balcony on the Spirit.

We can use the $900 for excursions etc.

My husband was wanting to take the tramway between Vancouver and Seattle so it will work out if we take the Spirit since it ends in Vancouver.

The only thing that I'm not really thrilled about is that the Spirit only cruises Glacier Bay twice the entire season. The very first cruise and the very last cruise. Judging from what everyone says in the forums Glacier Bay is much better than Tracy Fjord.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[B][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=2][COLOR=RoyalBlue]We're still looking to leave Seattle and end in Seattle or Canada due to the costs. A flight to and from is still holding steady at about $600 and I've priced different options to fly out of Alaska and it ends up being double. We're looking to have a fun time, see some amazing things and not necessary "break the bank". [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[quote name='aidansaunt2004'][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][COLOR=RoyalBlue]I've been looking into an Alaskan cruise for at least 6 months. In September we were on the dream and we fell in love with the cloud 9 spa. We enjoyed the thalasso pool and the steam rooms. The only Carnival ship that is going to Alaska in 2012 is the Spirit and it isn't getting any of the 2.0 upgrades and it doesn't have the updated spa. It's heartbreaking because we really enjoy Carnival and we've only cruised with Carnival. I've looked at HAL and Princess and we had narrowed it down to some of their ships until I realized the best Princess ships (the Coral & Island) don't port in Seattle which will double our airfare, making it out of the question. I'm really at a loss and I don't know what to do. Celebrity seems a little too "stuffy" for us because we're laid back and I've heard HAL's entertainment is lacking. NCL and RCCL aren't even in the equation. If you have ANY advice, please let me know. I've heard that some people use a train between BC and Seattle but that won't work with Anchorage[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]. :([/QUOTE]
We did the Princess Sapphire roundtrip from Seattle May 2011 and had a great time. Princess usually has 2 ships doing roundtrip Seattle and 2 or 3 more doing the one way Vancouver - Anchorage route. One of the RT Seattle cruises visits Tracy Arm Fiord and the other Glacier Bay as well as Ketchikan Juneau and Skagway. Our cruise went to Tracy Arm which was magnificent but everyone says Glacier Bay is better so I would choose that one. Great cruise. Good luck and have fun.

Archived