christmas gifts for crew

bandgbasset

And for the same reason some say Merry Christmas..because they are not afraid of saying the word and offending someone. Enough with the politically correct crap about Christmas.

I am not offended if you say Merry Christmas. I hope that you are not offended if I say Happy Holidays!;)

And for the same reason some say Merry Christmas..because they are not afraid of saying the word and offending someone. Enough with the politically correct crap about Christmas.

It's not about being pc, it's about not offending someone with different beliefs than you. How would you like it if you were only offered Happy Hanukkah or Happy Kwanza if you celebrate Christmas. There are so many different religions other than our own and traveling over the holidays really shows that.

I get VERY offended when someone says "Happy Holidays" to me and NOT Merry Christmas..because to me it's CHRISTmas..the whole reason why people even get a day off from work...it's a CHRISTmas tree, not a Kwanza tree. or a hannukah tree.

I also know I am not the only one who gets offended by someone saying Happy Holidays, too. When people do that to me, I correct them and say "You mean to wish me a Merry Christmas". Enough said.

It's not about being pc, it's about not offending someone with different beliefs than you. How would you like it if you were only offered Happy Hanukkah or Happy Kwanza if you celebrate Christmas. There are so many different religions other than our own and traveling over the holidays really shows that.

How do you expect the average person you might casually see during the season to know you celebrate Christmas? Sure, your friends and family but anyone you deal with in business? How do they know what you observe?

Um, they don't..that's why I smile and correct them and say that i believe they meant to wish me a Merry Christmas.

Yes, I do that.

How do you expect the average person you might casually see during the season to know you celebrate Christmas? Sure, your friends and family but anyone you deal with in business? How do they know what you observe?

I get VERY offended when someone says "Happy Holidays" to me and NOT Merry Christmas..because to me it's CHRISTmas..the whole reason why people even get a day off from work...it's a CHRISTmas tree, not a Kwanza tree. or a hannukah tree.

I also know I am not the only one who gets offended by someone saying Happy Holidays, too. When people do that to me, I correct them and say "You mean to wish me a Merry Christmas". Enough said.

Just because YOU celebrate Christmas doesn't mean everyone does. Do you really think that everyone in the entire world or even in the US for that matter are Christians?

Here is a quote from Ben Stein, made on CBS's Sunday Morning Commentary in 2005. The quote has been embellished a lot over the years as it has circulated on the internet. However, but as near as I can determine this is quote is very accurate. IMO it clearly states how he feels as a Jew being wished a "Merry Christmas". Now let have all the rabid PCs step away the soap box and accept the holiday and the friendly greeting for what it is. I am certain the crew understands that, they have seen the decorations and heard the carols for the past month .... it's a holiday greeting for heavens sake not a declaration of war.

"Next confession: I am a Jew, and every single one of my ancestors was Jewish. And it does not bother me even a little bit when people call those beautiful lit up, bejeweled trees Christmas trees. I don't feel threatened. I don't feel discriminated against. That's what they are: Christmas trees. It doesn't bother me a bit when people say, "Merry Christmas" to me. I don't think they are slighting me or getting ready to put me in a ghetto. In fact, I kind of like it. It shows that we are all brothers and sisters celebrating this happy time of year. It doesn't bother me at all that there is a manger scene on display at a key intersection near my beach house in Malibu. If people want a creche, it's just as fine with me as is the Menorah a few hundred yards away."

Ben Stein speaks only for Ben Stein.

I love looking at Christmas trees and have helped friends decorate them many times over the years. I wish my friends Merry Christmas BUT they don't wish ME Merry Christmas because it is NOT my holiday.

I don't like strangers in stores to assume that I celebrate and so that is why I think it is better to say "Happy Holidays"when you do not know the person. It has nothing to do with being PC. It has to do with being considerate of others.

To me the assumption that Christmas is celebrated by everyone is disrespectful to those of us who do not celebrate.

Let each celebrate what they want and respect each other in the process!

I love looking at Christmas trees and have helped friends decorate them many times over the years. I wish my friends Merry Christmas BUT they don't wish ME Merry Christmas because it is NOT my holiday.

I don't like strangers in stores to assume that I celebrate and so that is why I think it is better to say "Happy Holidays"when you do not know the person. It has nothing to do with being PC. It has to do with being considerate of others.

To me the assumption that Christmas is celebrated by everyone is disrespectful to those of us who do not celebrate.

Perfect answer!:)

Sorry, the name of the holiday is Christmas and it is the reason for the season. If you do not observe that is certainly your business but it is not reason for you or anyone to take offense if some one wishes you a Merry Christmas and the joy and goodwill that the season represents. I for one will not tiptoe around your view but nor will I be offended if you choose to wish me the happiness and joy of another holiday that you may observe or cherish.

As an aside, I am a Canadian and I don't become unglued if someone wishes me a "Happy 4th", our national holiday is July 1st, Canada Day. We also observe our Thanksgiving on the 2nd Monday of October, but I don't turn out the lights and close the blinds on the last Thursday of the November I get out and celebrate with my American brothers and sisters and quite enjoy the day and all that goes with it.

With that I wish everyone a Merry Christmas and as I will be on a cruise over this Christmas I will be providing our steward and waiters with a Christmas card with some extra cash in it .... I am certain that not one will be offended or will hand it back to me.

I so agree. Some time ago I worked in an office that had Christians, a Baptist (who is married to a Mormon), Buddhists (yes, more than one), a practicer of Kabbulah, agnostics, and Jews (including me). We tried to be respectful of each other.

I never try to make an assumption of what holiday (if any) that someone celebrates in December. It's more than being PC, it's called "consideration." If I know someone celebrates Christmas, I'll wish them a Merry Christmas. If I know someone celebrates Hanukkah, then I'll wish them a Happy Hanukkah. And so forth. Else it's Happy Holidays. I have no problem if someone expresses the wrong greeting as long as it's not intentional. Then that person is just being a jerk, which goes against the "reason for the season."

And by the way, the reason for the season is Peace on Earth and that is relevant to many religions and spiritual beliefs. And there are some schools that don't take off Christmas if it's a religious school that doesn't celebrate that holiday. My MIL was a teacher at such a school. They did take off Hanukkah.

My point is, dont' assume anything. My other point orignally was, that if you give money its going to be appreciated no matter what one celebrates. Right now, the LWL's in the USA are making a big deal if it's called a Holiday Tree, a Christmas Tree, etc. So it's become a politcally correct thing.

My new point is, why do people worry about offending someone who doesn't believe in Christmas? You can equally offend someone who DOES believe in Christmas. A LOT of people who believe in Christmas are getting sick of the Happy Holiday thing. It's ok to wish someone Happy Hannukah or whatever their spiritual belief is according to the holiday.

Geez.

Sticking to what the original topic is , it's better to give money for a "Christmas Gift" for crew..consider it a tip. But what I wonder is, I wonder if people would do the same for the maid if they were staying in a regular hotel and not on a cruise. Hmm. Like why is it any different for a cruise or should it be?

Just because YOU celebrate Christmas doesn't mean everyone does. Do you really think that everyone in the entire world or even in the US for that matter are Christians?

My new point is, why do people worry about offending someone who doesn't believe in Christmas? You can equally offend someone who DOES believe in Christmas. A LOT of people who believe in Christmas are getting sick of the Happy Holiday thing. It's ok to wish someone Happy Hannukah or whatever their spiritual belief is according to the holiday.

Whether or not a person is offended is entirely their choice - this discussion proves the point - and no amount of explaining that you meant no offense is going to change the mind of someone who chooses to be offended.

Even wearing a cross doesn't guarantee that the person is a Christian, lots of people wear them as decorative accessories rather than religious symbols; unless someone has a tattoo that says "I am a Christian", how would I know?

For what it's worth, I've always assumed that when someone says "Happy Holidays" they are using shorthand rather than say both "Merry Christmas" and "Happy New Year". I choose to hear it that way because I'd rather assume the best about people's intentions and I'd rather be happy than annoyed, offended, ticked off, etc.

Does anyone know how to fold paper money into a holiday ornament? They make towel animals for us, I think it would be fun to make something for them that they could definitely use. Hmmmmmmm, think I will google that. Could be interesting, even for the grandkids.

As a matter of fact, found a great web site for folding dollar bills. I will have to do a few: http://www.origami-resource-center.com/dollar-bill-origami.html

Then we agree to disagree; as a Christian I have no problem with being wished a Happy Hanuka, Diwali, Dōngzhì or Muharram. The world has become smaller and smaller. "Happy" what ever anyone celebrates (even those who celebrate nothing) only offends those who are intolerant.

I agree!!!

As a Christian, I doubt very much if you would EVER be greeted by any of the words mentioned above because folks who celebrate those holidays only greet each other(folks of their own religious beliefs) that way!

It is only the "Christians" that seem to think that "Merry Christmas"needs to be a universal greeting!

To the OP's original Q . . .

It doesn't matter what you call the holiday, whether the crew celebrates it or not . . . they could be the most rabid Christmas hater ever but if you give them extra money as a tip & wish them a Merry Christmas they are going to smile, mumble thank you & keep the money.

Let's get real. No one is going to give the money back. :rolleyes:

Archived