christmas gifts for crew

bandgbasset

We give them extra cash in a holiday card. We've also given them a small box of See's candy, they can share it or keep it for themselves. Nothing big, keep it very small if at all.

Just don't give a gift that has to be stored in their cabin, they have no space. I have had some delightful responses to the cards, one assistant server (female) almost cried when I gave it to her, she was so happy. She said it didn't feel much like Christmas to her with no decorations in her cabin and the card would brighten her room a bit.

cash is best since they really have no place to put stuff.....

last Christmas i did make a dozen or so little bags of candy and handed those out on the ship....they seemed to go over pretty well......but cash is best.

I have also, on occasion, asked if they needed anything from port...(mainly in San Juan..)...one cabin attendant mentioned that she loved Chips Ahoy so I surprised her with a big package...and on Turnaround day on a b2b, i went to the mall....about 5 crew members asked for panty hose and one asked me to pick her up a certain pair of shoes...

Otherwise.....those small, green pieces of paper are your best bet!

Not everyone celebrates Christmas. I would hesitate to give Christmas gifts to people about whom I know nothing and have no business asking. IMO

If you wish to give extra cash at the end of your cruise with a message such as wishing you all the best in the New Year, that might be more appropriate. Everyone turns the calendar to a New Year on January 1 but there are a great many people in the world who would not appreciate having it assumed they celebrate a holiday they do not.

Because of the sort of job they have, they would be forced to smile, thank you profusely and then resent having been put in that position though they (hopefully) will know you meant well.

IMO......

Not everyone celebrates Christmas. I would hesitate to give Christmas gifts to people about whom I know nothing and have no business asking. IMO

If you wish to give extra cash at the end of your cruise with a message such as wishing you all the best in the New Year, that might be more appropriate. Everyone turns the calendar to a New Year on January 1 but there are a great many people in the world who would not appreciate having it assumed they celebrate a holiday they do not.

Because of the sort of job they have, they would be forced to smile, thank you profusely and then resent having been put in that position though they (hopefully) will know you meant well.

IMO......

Very well said.

If you know that your stewards -- cabin and dining room are among those that do celebrate Christmas - cash is the best gift.

But if they are among those that don't celebrate Christmas -- just give cash at the end of the cruise if they treated you well.

Even though many crew members do not celebrate Christmas you will find that many of them will still wish you a Merry Christmas.

Cash in a card wishing them a Merry Christmas is the best gift you can give them. Even if they don't celebrate Christmas they know what is and certainly don't object to being wished a "Merry Christmas".

Really?

I respectfully disagree.

Really?

I respectfully disagree.

Then we agree to disagree; as a Christian I have no problem with being wished a Happy Hanuka, Diwali, Dōngzhì or Muharram. The world has become smaller and smaller. "Happy" what ever anyone celebrates (even those who celebrate nothing) only offends those who are intolerant.

Then we agree to disagree; as a Christian I have no problem with being wished a Happy Hanuka, Diwali, Dōngzhì or Muharram. The world has become smaller and smaller. "Happy" what ever anyone celebrates (even those who celebrate nothing) only offends those who are intolerant.

Well said.

If it was me I would put some cash inside a card (merry xmas or not your choice) with a nice personal note.

Exactly. Would someone from a country where Hindu is the main religion practiced appreciate a beef stick? No.

Money speaks the same language in every country.

IMO......

Chinese New Year is NOT January 1st. In 2012 it is January 23rd. So there goes that thought.

It's a much smaller world when you are a traveler and being travelers I believe we learn to respect differences and maybe even celebrate those differences.

When we sailed over the christmas holiday one of the other couples at our dinner table was Jewish. They thought it was a good itinerary not a christmas cruise.

I did tip extra on that cruise (more then the normal extra) since a) they were either away from their families for the holiday or b) they had to put up with those of us who were traveling at Christmas....win/win I think!

Donna

Chinese New Year is NOT January 1st. In 2012 it is January 23rd. So there goes that thought.

It's a much smaller world when you are a traveler and being travelers I believe we learn to respect differences and maybe even celebrate those differences.

When we sailed over the christmas holiday one of the other couples at our dinner table was Jewish. They thought it was a good itinerary not a christmas cruise.

I did tip extra on that cruise (more then the normal extra) since a) they were either away from their families for the holiday or b) they had to put up with those of us who were traveling at Christmas....win/win I think!

Donna

Those Chinese who live and work in Western Society (including all the international world economy participants), all have to operate off the January 1, New Year Calendar. For their cultural observations, they abide by their Chinese Calendar but not for world participation.

Respect...... Exactly. You said it. It is a matter of respect to notice and acknowledge not all in the world celebrate what some percentage of the world does. You specifically said travel educates us to that concept and hopefully leads to respect of others' beliefs and lack thereof.

IMO

Respect...... Exactly. You said it. It is a matter of respect to notice and acknowledge not all in the world celebrate what some percentage of the world does. You specifically said travel educates us to that concept and hopefully leads to respect of others' beliefs and lack thereof.

Again, you are on target here.

hello:

we're sailing on the sapphire princess over the christmas holiday. would like to get our steward a christmas gift, or is cash the best thing?

thanks for your help

gerry

Here we go again w the gift thread. Have not had one of these in at least a week.

DON

Cash is king & there are too many ways to run afoul even with the best of intentions.

That said I might be tempted to give out Chocolate Santas, holiday wrapped Hershey's kisses or candy canes but even food gets dicey b/c you don't know if somebody is diabetic, has food allergies or is even trying to lose weight.

Here we go again w the gift thread. Have not had one of these in at least a week.

DON

Have patience. There are newcomers here all the time who may not have seen the question asked before. This person may not be a newcomer, but with less than 100 posts, may not frequent the boards.

If you don't want to read threads with questions you have seen before, just don't click on them.

Folks who celebrate Christmas really may not realize that others do not enjoy being wished a "merry Christmas" if they don't celebrate that holiday.

That is why very often these days people say" Happy Holidays" when they don't know the person to whom they are speaking.

Travel does broaden your outlook if you learn from it!

And for the same reason some say Merry Christmas..because they are not afraid of saying the word and offending someone. Enough with the politically correct crap about Christmas.

Folks who celebrate Christmas really may not realize that others do not enjoy being wished a "merry Christmas" if they don't celebrate that holiday.

That is why very often these days people say" Happy Holidays" when they don't know the person to whom they are speaking.

Travel does broaden your outlook if you learn from it!

Archived