Master Chef's Dinner

Megsie1000

When I was on the NA last February, they did not have it and I was told it was never planned to have the MCD on the NA. I was surprised to hear the NA had it. I have no objection other than my blood sugar was very high the day after and that is the reason I usually opt for the Lido on the night of the Master Chef Dinner.

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam Nov/Dec 2010 and we did not have the Master Chef dinner. But we were told that it would be coming to the ship in a few months.

I don't enjoy the Master Chef's Dinner any more than most of you ... but maybe we should admit it's entertaining the first time we see it. I loved the Baked Alaska Parade with all the sparklers in the dark - and took a ton of pictures. I realize a lot of that glitz disappeared with the introduction of light sticks, but it can still be fun for a newcomer.

We're cruising with some first-timers in May (family) and are actually hoping they get to experience this.

I don't enjoy the Master Chef's Dinner any more than most of you ... but maybe we should admit it's entertaining the first time we see it. I loved the Baked Alaska Parade with all the sparklers in the dark - and took a ton of pictures. I realize a lot of that glitz disappeared with the introduction of light sticks, but it can still be fun for a newcomer.

We're cruising with some first-timers in May (family) and are actually hoping they get to experience this.

I agree with you Donna. I can remember the first time we saw it, and remember how entertaining it was. Now after 3 times I can do without it, but I definitely don't hate it like some do! :) My biggest complaint was the multitude of mushroom dishes :eek: but even that has improved, or at least the 3rd and last time for us it was much improved. Hardly any mushrooms on the menu. :D

We were on the Nov. 12 Oosterdam Hawaii cruise and they did not have Master Chef's Dinner, however it was the American Thanksgiving on this cruise. We don't mind it, but it put the crew doing alot of extra activity, which no doubt they didn't need.

I think corporate in Seattle needs to get their heads together with their entertainment people and come up with something far more appealing to all passengers, both first time and long term. It needs a lot more professional polish and tightness rather than the painful and awkward affair that fails to please after the first time when the sheer novelty of it carries the day for first time passengers.

I could deal with a short ceremony of introductions, a non-amplified crew good by song that is intended to induce sentimental thoughts, instead of ear-splitting avoidance, and even some sort of celebratory dessert parade with musical napkin waving --- as long as I don't have to eat their version of "Baked" Alaska.

In our experience, the Master Chef Dinner is a misnomer.

The dinner is well below the usual standard in terms of selection and taste.

The entertainment is well...really smaltzy at best - we are embarassed for the crew who have to put this on.

It reminds us of something out of a children's television show.

I can remember when Baked Alaska was on the last formal night and we wanted to order something else. We hate Baked Alaska in the dining room.

But it was near to impossible to get anything else. The dessert menu was very, very limited. And if you ordered anything as simple as a scoop of ice cream, they would make you wait and wait until after the parade of Baked Alaska and after it was served before we could get our ice cream. So we would just hand over our extra tips to the staff after we had our entree and leave the dining room.

Just returned from the western Caribbean Nieuw Amsterdam cruise and the Master Chef's Dinner was on Saturday night - the last night of the cruise. Since this was our first cruise aboard HAL and we didn't know any better, we booked the Pinnacle for that night. We were very happy with our dining experience there in all respects and apparently, judging from the comments here about the MCD, we unknowingly made the proper decision. I would like to add that the Le Cirque dinner served in the Pinnacle was truly magnificent.

. . . on to the Star Clipper in March!

Just off Oosterdam 12/10. Master Chef dinner was last night, and still had set menu. Dropped by our table just to say goodbye to tablemates and stewards, then boogied up to Canaletto. They seriously need to re-evaluate this "entertainment" - it was cringeworthy.

Patricia

p.s. - and totally agree with posters' comments about ongoing coercion to give all "9" ratings. Even Joel Mason got in on the act!

I agree with you Donna. I can remember the first time we saw it, and remember how entertaining it was. Now after 3 times I can do without it, but I definitely don't hate it like some do! :) My biggest complaint was the multitude of mushroom dishes :eek: but even that has improved, or at least the 3rd and last time for us it was much improved. Hardly any mushrooms on the menu. :D

The first time we saw it, we happened to be dining with both Hotel Manager and Captain. We had a table for four and both joined us that night. Pretty special..... :)

It was the first time all of us had seen the MCD and none of us quite knew what to say. DH and I sat there numb waiting to see their reaction and one turned and looked at the other and the four of us just looked at each other at certain points. Of course, it kept interrupting our conversation seeing how loud it is. We felt uncomfortable to tell them how much we hated it. We thought it best to say little about it. They held their opinions to themselves, as well. :D

DH and I never attended again.

I believe that green "glow" sticks are now used instead of "sparklers" for the Baked Alaska Parade at the conclusion of the MCD! ;)

I loved the Baked Alaska Parade with all the sparklers in the dark - and took a ton of pictures. I realize a lot of that glitz disappeared with the introduction of light sticks, but it can still be fun for a newcomer.

They don't even use light sticks anymore...

We booked Pinnacle that night: Every single table was booked - I've never seen the room so crowded!

(Perhaps that's why HAL keeps MCD - To keep us in the extra cost dining venues...

...but it's surely taking away extra tips from the waiters in the MDR)

They don't even use light sticks anymore...

We booked Pinnacle that night: Every single table was booked - I've never seen the room so crowded!

(Perhaps that's why HAL keeps MCD - To keep us in the extra cost dining venues...

...but it's surely taking away extra tips from the waiters in the MDR)

Maybe -- Maybe not.

On our last cruises we always tip our waiters and wine steward the night before the Master Chef Dinner. We do inform them that we will not be there the next evening.

On our recent Noordam cruises there were a couple of other people in our area who did the same thing about tipping.

I believe that green "glow" sticks are now used instead of "sparklers" for the Baked Alaska Parade at the conclusion of the MCD! ;)

They didn't even have glow sticks on the Maasdam recently - just parading up and down the stairs holding a fairly small Baked Alaska aloft while we were told this is the "most famous Baked Alaska Parade on the high seas". Okay.

On the Zaandam we didn't have glow sticks or sparklers either - just the parade - and because they were a bit slow in getting it started our steward had already served us ours before the parade began because he said they were starting to melt. Nothing like the Master Chefs Dinner on our first cruise but it was a bit of fun with laughter which was not a bad way to end the cruise dining room experience.

Archived