Diamond Princess: Singapore to Sydney: Please, Mr. Custer I Don’t Want to Go!

SailorJack

'SailorJill is actually wearing crisp white linen shorts, sandals, and her “Men are Idiots and My Husband is Their Leader” T-shirt...' Midge, my wife, wants to know where your mother-in-law got the T-shirt.

Seriously, we always enjoy reading your stuff -- it's always good for a real laugh!

Cheers -- Michael

I think her mother has the shirts made up at a little kiosk in the mall! You can get just about anything printed at those places!:D

Thank you for a great report. If I didn't agree with you about the long plane ride, I'd be tempted to book this cruise.

The plane ride is a bear...it was 14 hours to Tokyo and 7 hours to Singapore. But in the end you forget about those tortuous hours in the air and remember the 18 days of cruising. We will do another Asian cruise, but not until we are up to facing the plane ride again.:) It really was a great cruise...don't let the plane ride dissuade you.

Jack

This is about the 3rd review of yours that I have read and each one makes me laugh out loud.....rather embarassing in my office cubicle!! Great job, again!

Carol

Glad you enjoy them. Links to my other ones (if you hadn't noticed) are in my signature. Have a great new year!

Jack

Thank you SailorJack, I love your excursions, I can't wait to travel to these awesome places.

All it takes is a little phone call to your travel agent.:)

SailorJack,

This is the first review I've read that had me laughing out loud (and from what I hear, it's obvious that it's the first review of yours that I've read). I love your sense of humor, and that you were able to share the fun you had with all of us.

Thanks!

Great review Jack. We were also on that cruise, like you we had a ball.

I thought I was reading a local review, you have the dry Aussie humour. Looking forward to the pics.

Cheers

Greg

It was a great cruise, wasn't it! This was the first time we have been on a cruise where Americans were not the majority, so it was like one of RCI's "immersion cruises.":D I have to admit, you guys down there have a unique style of humor.:D:D

The last of our house guests left today, so I will start to upload my pictures and should be able to post tomorrow.

He's b...a....c...k and too funny! Life with you must be a hoot!

Where are you going next Sailor Jack?

SailorJill has another word for me and it isn't "hoot.":)

As I think I said in an earlier post - no commitments yet for next year on cruising, but it will probably be a short 7 day trip in the Carribean around the end of January.

With Christmas guests now gone I can start to upload pictures!

These first shots are of the Singapore Skyline. No sign of an economic downturn here - construction is going on everywhere and the new buildings are very dramatic.

2077081650106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

This is the Marina Bay Sands Hotel and Convention Center complex. The Hotel is 58 stories tall and has over 2500 rooms. The structure on top is the Skypark and has gardens, jacuzies and enfinity swimming pools. The structure to the right is the Art/Science Museum and the struture is based on the Lotus flower.

2020953140106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

With a city skyline in the background the Merlion sits on the Singapore River. The Merlion (head of a lion and body of a fish) is the official symbol of Singapore and represents the beginnings of Singapore as a small fishing village.

2795638970106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

Another view of the developing skyline of Singapore. Notice all the construction cranes.

2966455670106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

Please please please do the Yangtze cruise We did this about 10 years ago just before they finished the lock and it was fabulous but there was so much to laugh about you will be able to use your marvellous prose on a china cruise (we used Victoria cruises and can well recommend them) It was at the dinner table on the 2nd night when spoons and forks disappeared that we were taught to use chop sticks by a fellow cruiser from San Francisco (lucky it was not jelly that night) The thought of your watching the 'man of a 1000 faces dance' tickles me even now.:):)

We visited China many,many years ago and went into a restaurant for lunch. I think the entire restaurant stopped eating as we picked up our chop sticks to eat. I don't think they thought we would know what to do with them. As soon as we demonstrated reasonable profiency they went back eating.:)

I think Jill's mother has the shirts made up at a kiosk in the mall - you can probably get one there.:D

Fabulous review as always SailorJack!

I will be taking a friend on his very first cruise this Spring (Caribbean) and sent him one of your reviews so he knows exactly what to expect :eek: :D

I remember (faintly) our very first cruise. It was probably our favorite because it was such a new and exciting experience for us. I envy your friends upcoming first experience.

Jack

More of Singapores unique structures:

This is the SwissHotel - home to the Excelsior Restaurant on the 70th floor. You can see the restauant windows at the top. This was an excellent place to dine - good food and awesome food. If you are looking for a memorable experience in Singapore - this is the place.

2020311650106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

We were struck by the old and the new. In the forground are relatively older structures along the Singapore river while modern structures rise in the background.

2233530300106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

This is the Theatres on the Bay. The design was quite controversial and locals call this the "Durian" as it resembles the skin of the Durian fruit.

2439198970106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

Another example of unique mixed architecture. Jill took this photo as she thought the building in the background looked like what a child might build with blocks.

2420575890106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

As you might imagine, Singapore is an amalgum of people and religions.

This Hindu Temple was just behind our hotel.

2599164650106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

This one is the oldest Hindu Temple in Singapore and is located in Chinatown

2853440370106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

This Mosque was near the Marina Bay

2704623230106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

This is the Singapore Flyer - the largest ferris wheel in the world. It stands over 500 feet high (the equivalent of 42 stories) and takes 1/2 hour to make the circle. Each of the cars holds 28 people. While we did not have time to take the ride, we are told the views from up there are fantastic. It was raining when we were there so this picture was taken through a window.

2119118730106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

Everywhere in Singapore you will find food courts - some uncovered and some covered. You can get a complete meal for around two dollars. They provide good food (if somewhat unique) at a bargain price.

2957905550106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

You can start off your meal with, say, Pig's Organ Soup.

2619276660106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

As a starter - perhaps some fish balls.

2032881540106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

And as a main course - the ever popular Fish Head Bee Hoon. And dessert is right next door!

2275332370106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

It looks like you have have 3 really neat cruises coming up. I assume the BA to Acapulco trip goes around the Horn and not the Canal? Either way it looks like a good one.

Yes, my wife wants to go around Cape Horn. We also want to take the side trip to Macchu Pichu if she gets clearance. The cruise actually ends in Los Angeles, but we have to leave a few days earlier to be at my mom's for her 100th birthday, God Willing

Just back from the Sapphire Princess 14 Day RT to Hawaii. When quickly checking cruisecritic while using precious internet minutes, I saw your post but couldn't read due to the slowness of the connection. I've been home now for a couple of hours and the first thing I did after checking the mail to see if any unknown relatives had left us a Million dollars in their will, was to read your post.

Another winner. Thanks for a great read.

Just back from the Sapphire Princess 14 Day RT to Hawaii. When quickly checking cruisecritic while using precious internet minutes, I saw your post but couldn't read due to the slowness of the connection. I've been home now for a couple of hours and the first thing I did after checking the mail to see if any unknown relatives had left us a Million dollars in their will, was to read your post.

Another winner. Thanks for a great read.

You didn't mention if you inherited the million dollars!:) We have been wanting to do the Hawaii trip for a couple of years now. It sounds like a good one with some relaxing sea days.

As always, a great read Jack. Thanks again for entertaining me:D

I'm loving the photos btw - keep them coming sir!

Glad you enjoy it. I will upload more pics today.

It looks like you have have 3 really neat cruises coming up. I assume the BA to Acapulco trip goes around the Horn and not the Canal? Either way it looks like a good one.

Yes, my wife wants to go around Cape Horn. We also want to take the side trip to Macchu Pichu if she gets clearance. The cruise actually ends in Los Angeles, but we have to leave a few days earlier to be at my mom's for her 100th birthday, God Willing

I hope you get the chance to visit Macchu Pichu. We were there several years ago and it is truely magnificent. It was one of the places on my bucket list and it did not disappoint!

I always love reading your reviews Sailor Jack.....never disappointing. Thanks you

Your'e welcome!:D

Jack

One of the Neighborhoods in Singapore was "Little India."

2485941460106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

The colors were amazing, with buildings and clothing in nearly every color you could imagine.

2543081870106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

2954415830106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

And, of course, Indian food and spices.

2086555150106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

This woman was getting married and was having henna tattos placed on both hands - at about $10 per hand.

2794828810106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

Two other great areas to visit in Singapore is (1) Chinatown with its very unique architecture and statuary.

2444506530106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

2738311820106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

And (2) the Singapore Botanical Gardens. Time on this trip only allowed us time to vist one section - the National Orchid Garden, but when we go back (and we will) we will spend an entire day at this amazing place.

2553208880106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

2782835250106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

2393416310106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

I hope you get the chance to visit Macchu Pichu. We were there several years ago and it is truely magnificent. It was one of the places on my bucket list and it did not disappoint!

I am so glad you posted this comment as I was dithering about the cost on our cruise in 2013 We are organising a private tour for 4 days from the ship but it still comes to about $2000 per person now I will bite the bullet.:eek:

We have also been to Machu Picchu. I organized our own trip after an Antarctic Cruise back in 2006. We had 4 nights altogether. Three nights in Cusco - 2 before we took the train up to the ruins - and one night at the ruins as we stayed at the Monasterio in Cusco and the Sanctuary in Machu Picchu. Well worth the money and as you never know if you will ever return to that area, go for it. It was incredible.

Jennie

thanks for a great review. its always nice to hear someone elses impression of my town, i hav lived in Darwin for almost 10 years, and before that i drove a tourist boat in Kakadu national park not far from where you did the jumping croc cruise, so can relate to your story from the boat ride.

happy sailing :cool:

thanks for a great review. its always nice to hear someone elses impression of my town, i hav lived in Darwin for almost 10 years, and before that i drove a tourist boat in Kakadu national park not far from where you did the jumping croc cruise, so can relate to your story from the boat ride.

happy sailing :cool:

We had a great time in Darwin and had only one complaint. They didn't sell beer until 11:00! We both agreed we would like to go back and visit again because there is much to see that a few hours ashore did not permit. It would also be interesting to see how much 500 US Marines and their families will impact the town!:)

We have also been to Machu Picchu. I organized our own trip after an Antarctic Cruise back in 2006. We had 4 nights altogether. Three nights in Cusco - 2 before we took the train up to the ruins - and one night at the ruins as we stayed at the Monasterio in Cusco and the Sanctuary in Machu Picchu. Well worth the money and as you never know if you will ever return to that area, go for it. It was incredible.

Jennie

We also spent a few nights in Cusco. The hotel we stayed at gave us Cocoa tea to ward off altitude sickness. While I enjoyed the tea, I was grateful my employer did not do random drug tests!:) We took the train to Machu Picchu, but did not have the luxury of spending the night. I am told that the sunset and sunrise over Machu Picchu is spectacular. I envy your opportunity to witness them!

Your reviews are fantastic. I'm not just smiling - I'm laughing out loud!!!

Glad you enjoyed them...thanks for your comment. It is always nice to hear that someone got a laugh from the "review."

Enjoyed reading your review! Your wonderful photos of Singapore brought back some wonderful memories:) Thank you.

I switched from a film camera to a digital camera two cruises ago. Singapore made me glad I did. There were so many wonderful things to see there that I probably shot the equivalent of 13 rolls of film! It is good to see someone else shares great memories of Singapore. We liked it so much that we will schedule another trip there and this time allow more time to see all that we missed the first time around.

Count me among the Sailor Jack Fans! Always love reading your colorful reviews! Makes me feel like I was there! Thanks for the trip!

You are most welcome.

Jack

Archived