Diamond Princess: Singapore to Sydney: Please, Mr. Custer I Don’t Want to Go!

SailorJack

Sailor Jack,

Love the photos. The ferries are built that way so that they don't need to turn around when they come to a terminal. The best thing to do in Sydney is to ride those ferries and discover all the little nooks and crannies that make up Sydney Harbour.

It is truly the most beautiful harbour in the world and we have been to all the well known harbours in the world. Nothing beats Sydney on a sunny morning as you have depicted.

Jennie

Thank you Sailor Jack for wonderful pictures and your review. Once again I got to see the wonders of Sydney harbour! Have not been to your last 3 stops (Darwin, Port Douglas and Airlie Beach) but plan to see them on our return to Australia. No set date as yet, but it will be in a year or 2.

Thank you for posting these great photos.

I believe that you would have berthed to the right of the last photo, at the Overseas Passenger Terminal,.........the Opera House is to the left of the photo.

You are absolutely correct. I realized the mistake after the 15 minute grace period so could not edit it. The Opera House is, as you said, to the left.

I really enjoy reading about your trips, please keep it up. The pictures turned out great and I like the push-me pull-you ferry.:D

Push-me pull-you? So that is what they are called!:D

Sailor Jack,

Love the photos. The ferries are built that way so that they don't need to turn around when they come to a terminal. The best thing to do in Sydney is to ride those ferries and discover all the little nooks and crannies that make up Sydney Harbour.

It is truly the most beautiful harbour in the world and we have been to all the well known harbours in the world. Nothing beats Sydney on a sunny morning as you have depicted.

Jennie

Jennie, we have taken a ferry over to Manly beach several years ago, but I just can't remember if they were this type or not. However, I do have to agree with you about the fact that it is a beautiful harbor.

Thank you Sailor Jack for wonderful pictures and your review. Once again I got to see the wonders of Sydney harbour! Have not been to your last 3 stops (Darwin, Port Douglas and Airlie Beach) but plan to see them on our return to Australia. No set date as yet, but it will be in a year or 2.

Then you have something really great to look forward to. You will not be disappointed in any of those places. So much to see and so much to do. Hopefully it will be in a year and not two!:D

These are the last of my cruise pictures and feature the two most iconic symbols of Sydney.

This picture shows another Princess ship sailing into the harbor before us - just as she goes under the "Coat Hanger" bridge. Unfortunatly I forget which ship it was.

DSC_0566.jpg

One of the available excursions involves climbing the bridge - something, apparently, that some people do - after imbibing several 4X's I suspect!

DSC_0587.jpg

Our first view of the Opera House.

DSC_0571.jpg

What a beautiful scene. We docked just about where that ferry is heading.

DSC_0582.jpg

The Opera House up close and personal.

DSC_0580.jpg

That's it! Hope you enjoyed the pictorial review of Princess's Asian cruise and that it may have piqued your interest in taking a similar trip. It really is a memorable cruise!

Jack

These are the last of my cruise pictures and feature the two most iconic symbols of Sydney.

What a beautiful scene. We docked just about where that ferry is heading.

DSC_0582.jpg

That's it! Hope you enjoyed the pictorial review of Princess's Asian cruise and that it may have piqued your interest in taking a similar trip. It really is a memorable cruise!

Jack

Thanks Jack!!!!!!

Going to New Zealand and Australia is at the top of my bucket list (and has been there forever). We've had it planned and canceled twice and it's planned again for 2013.

I just made this photo the screen saver on my computer! :D

Sailor Jack,

The Bridge Climb is wonderful. Not scary but what a view especially on a lovely day as you had when coming into the harbour. We did back in 2000 when it was fairly new and thought it was one of the best things to do in Sydney.

Jennie

Looked for you walking the bridge Oh well, maybe next time

Thanks again for the fantastic review and pictures

I don't think so!:)

Thanks Jack!!!!!!

Going to New Zealand and Australia is at the top of my bucket list (and has been there forever). We've had it planned and canceled twice and it's planned again for 2013.

I just made this photo the screen saver on my computer! :D

I am glad you enjoyed the photo. Coming into Syndney harbor is a sight to behold!! I hope you make it to Australia and NZ soon.

Thanks, Jack, for taking the time to write your excellent review and posting all the fabulous pictures. We have been to Sydney and took the cruise to New Zealand from there. Loved it and want to take the cruise around Austrailia in the next couple of years. :D

Thanks for your comments. We are also considering a cruise around the continent - to include (we hope) Tasmania.

Sailor Jack,

The Bridge Climb is wonderful. Not scary but what a view especially on a lovely day as you had when coming into the harbour. We did back in 2000 when it was fairly new and thought it was one of the best things to do in Sydney.

Jennie

You actually climbed that!:eek: Amazing! I may have to give this a second thought.:D

Absolutely loved your pictures and review. Thank you very much for posting.

Glad you enjoyed the photos. We enjoyed posting them as it gave us a chance to relive the cruise as we poured over all of our pictures to pick out the ones to post.

Again, thanks to everyone - hope to see you on a boat soon!:)

Jack

Sailor Jack,

Jennie

You actually climbed that!:eek: Amazing! I may have to give this a second thought.:D

Definitely consider it. I'm very scared of heights but I couldn't pass this up. It was the highlight of my trip to Sydney in 2010. Once you get across the narrow catwalk and up the ladders, the rest of the climb is really easy :D

Definitely consider it. I'm very scared of heights but I couldn't pass this up. It was the highlight of my trip to Sydney in 2010. Once you get across the narrow catwalk and up the ladders, the rest of the climb is really easy :D

OK:D, it's now on my bucket list for our next trip to Sydney!

Well, all it takes is a call to your travel agent! But I am glad you enjoyed the pictures.:)

I showed this line to my agent and she said I needed money to pay for it too. Can I get your agents name, yours sounds better then mine.:D

I showed this line to my agent and she said I needed money to pay for it too. Can I get your agents name, yours sounds better then mine.:D

LOL!! Apparently I forgot to mention that little detail. Sadly, my travel agent also insists that I contribute some money towards the cruise.

It reminds me about the guy who was in court about his divorce settlementand the judge said he was going to grant the wife $2,000 a month. The guy said "that's very nice of you your honor, I'll even kick in a few bucks myself."

While the TA may kick in a few bucks for OBC, we have to shoulder the majority of the expense.:D

Your review had me laughing out loud! Thanks for sharing!

Glad you enjoyed it!

Jack

Please please please do the Yangtze cruise We did this about 10 years ago just before they finished the lock and it was fabulous but there was so much to laugh about you will be able to use your marvellous prose on a china cruise (we used Victoria cruises and can well recommend them) It was at the dinner table on the 2nd night when spoons and forks disappeared that we were taught to use chop sticks by a fellow cruiser from San Francisco (lucky it was not jelly that night) The thought of your watching the 'man of a 1000 faces dance' tickles me even now.:):)

Well, we booked the Yangtze cruise this weekend - For the middle of May. Now, you have to tell me about this "man of a 1000 faces dance!" Where do I see it? Is he on the ship or in one of the cities? As we are sailing on Viking, if he is exclusive to Victoria we will miss him. :confused:

• 1 month later...

AS always, A Sailor Jack review is pure, sinful pleasure somewhat akin to Haagen-Daaz but without the bits that stick in my teeth.

Also, how many of your fans know that the next lyrics to the song are "FORWARD--HO" and a moan saying "NO"?

Since I have retired from posting reviews on this board, I'm already looking to your next cruise. Actually, retired or not, I would anyway.:D

Thank you John G. for "bumping" this to the first page of the Princess Board as I wouldn't have found it otherwise.

Thank you Jack for sharing your experience....though I did have to explain to my boss why I was grinning (and trying to refrain from laughing) as he walked past my desk this afternoon....normally the office isn't that entertaining! I can't wait to read the rest of your reviews!

AS always, A Sailor Jack review is pure, sinful pleasure somewhat akin to Haagen-Daaz but without the bits that stick in my teeth.

Also, how many of your fans know that the next lyrics to the song are "FORWARD--HO" and a moan saying "NO"?

Since I have retired from posting reviews on this board, I'm already looking to your next cruise. Actually, retired or not, I would anyway.:D

Good to hear from you - but I have missed your reviews. They were much better than mine. You can, however, somewhat make up for it by letting me know where I can see the pics you took of the models on your Jewel cruise!:)

I see you know the song. I use the "Please Mr. Custer, I don't want to go" quote fairly often....most notably when Jill wants to go shopping.

Next cruise for me will be in October on the Oosterdam. Hopefully you have one coming up sooner than that.

Thank you John G. for "bumping" this to the first page of the Princess Board as I wouldn't have found it otherwise.

Thank you Jack for sharing your experience....though I did have to explain to my boss why I was grinning (and trying to refrain from laughing) as he walked past my desk this afternoon....normally the office isn't that entertaining! I can't wait to read the rest of your reviews!

Glad you enjoyed it...hope you like the others.

Jack

I thoroughly enjoyed your review, what a sense of humour. I will even forgive your comments about us Kiwis as I am pleased to see you were even ruder about the Aussies!

AAACK! Ruder to the Aussies! But I LOVE the Aussies. I think they are great. I want to go Hooning with them (whatever that is). Oh, did I mention that I am going to be in Sydney in November?:)

Archived