will my kids get to keep their status?

fd851

We always cruise 4 to a cabin with my kids as 3rd and 4th pax.

Do the kids earn cruise points as well? Both of them have their own C&A membership numbers.

Yes they earn their own points. They will have the same status as you regardless of how many cruise points they have actually earned.

I'm not even sure if being engaged is the deciding factor. My impression was the fact they had the same address. But, I was present when we did this, and my son had been a Diamond for about 12 years. They showed ID that had the same address, too.

I don't know about "abusing" the policy, since we weren't. They were indeed engaged, and did get married 8 months after the cruise. I don't know why having more people "testify" to this policy is needed: it is what it is. We went to the LA, she looked up my son's C&A record, they showed their ID, we told her they were engaged to be married (ring and all), and it was a done-deal.

No need to be "defensive" as was not my intention to elicit this..Just asking if others have also been able to do this..I don't need "testimony" just some more insight, as this might apply to some in our family and maybe others on this board :)

We always cruise 4 to a cabin with my kids as 3rd and 4th pax.

Do the kids earn cruise points as well? Both of them have their own C&A membership numbers.

Yes, your children are earning points no matter which cabin they have - their own or sharing yours. They can be paying a very low 3rd and 4th person rate and they are still earning points. They just aren't earning points when you travel without them - but they are earning your level until they turn 18 - at which time they keep that level with however many points they've earned by being on a ship.

So - they may have traveled with you on one 3 night cruise and if you've cruised a lot without them and are D or even D+ by the time they turn 18, they will be that level with just 3 cruise points. Yes, that's an extreme case but it's possible and has probably happened.

Gina

Yes, your children are earning points no matter which cabin they have - their own or sharing yours. They can be paying a very low 3rd and 4th person rate and they are still earning points. They just aren't earning points when you travel without them - but they are earning your level until they turn 18 - at which time they keep that level with however many points they've earned by being on a ship.

So - they may have traveled with you on one 3 night cruise and if you've cruised a lot without them and are D or even D+ by the time they turn 18, they will be that level with just 3 cruise points. Yes, that's an extreme case but it's possible and has probably happened.

Gina

Thanks for the info.

Very useful.

This is a good thing, right? This is also exactly what happened with both my sons, and then my DIL when she married Son #2. They are all Diamond with low points.

It's not cheating at all: it's their policy, fair and square. Children and spouses get grandfathered into the same level as the C&A member they "belong" to. My DIL was an "instant" Diamond on her second cruise. They enrolled her and gave her my son's status because they were engaged already and had the same address.

I was thinking that it will be a nice "gift" we can give her if she decides to cruise for her honeymoon some day:D

I'm not even sure if being engaged is the deciding factor. My impression was the fact they had the same address. But, I was present when we did this, and my son had been a Diamond for about 12 years. They showed ID that had the same address, too.

I don't know about "abusing" the policy, since we weren't. They were indeed engaged, and did get married 8 months after the cruise. I don't know why having more people "testify" to this policy is needed: it is what it is. We went to the LA, she looked up my son's C&A record, they showed their ID, we told her they were engaged to be married (ring and all), and it was a done-deal.

I think that the LA, or C and A rep probably made a generous exception to the "official rules" in your sons case based on your and his loyalty,PCUR. They obviously know you and your family's loyalty and wanted to do something nice. Again, we all want them to have more autonomy to reward good customers, it sounds like thats what they did for your son:D Its a smart sales move too; doesn't it make them more likely to choose a honeymoon cruise with Royal?

My kids....ages 21 and 26 are still at home....they went on a RC cruise together about 3 yrs ago(their one and only rc cruise to date)...hubby and I are diamond with 132 points...just booked a cruise for the 4 of us for next year....according to RCCL they too are diamond with 132 points! I am not gonna argue....maybe when they move out they will lose theirs points but as of right now they still have our points and are over the age of 18.

Something similar happened with our kids. Both just had their points adjusted after their last cruise (last month). They kept the status but their point count was reduced to reflect the number of cruises they they personally took.

No need to be "defensive" as was not my intention to elicit this..Just asking if others have also been able to do this..I don't need "testimony" just some more insight, as this might apply to some in our family and maybe others on this board :)

While I am DP,my daughter is D(because that is what I was when she turned 18)....thats fine........she and her boyfriend(living together for a few years now) went on a cruise last year.....it was his first cruise.....after signing up for C&A,he is a member,BUT his status is gold........Not that any of this matters to them,but I sure would love to know the rule.....

Does living together entitle one to the others status,as we have read above?? Or are they supposed to be married to get the higher status??:confused:

While I am DP,my daughter is D(because that is what I was when she turned 18)....thats fine........she and her boyfriend(living together for a few years now) went on a cruise last year.....it was his first cruise.....after signing up for C&A,he is a member,BUT his status is gold........Not that any of this matters to them,but I sure would love to know the rule.....

Does living together entitle one to the others status,as we have read above?? Or are they supposed to be married to get the higher status??:confused:

This is exactly what my question has been throughout this topic..pcur seems to be saying this is policy...of which I'm surprised...I thought policy states "married" to inherit status..not just living with someone at the same address...I thought this only applys (per the new system changes) to children under 18 living in parents home being able to inherit status..Once 18 they are the level of their own C&A credits..Being able to just say you are "engaged" is questionable to me and would like to know if anyone else has been able to use this "policy" pcur did :confused:..Just trying to find out some answers :)

This is exactly what my question has been throughout this topic..pcur seems to be saying this is policy...of which I'm surprised...I thought policy states "married" to inherit status..not just living with someone at the same address...I thought this only applys (per the new system changes) to children under 18 living in parents home being able to inherit status..Once 18 they are the level of their own C&A credits..Being able to just say you are "engaged" is questionable to me and would like to know if anyone else has been able to use this "policy" pcur did :confused:..Just trying to find out some answers :)

As Kitty stated above, your children inherit the status you have when they are under 18. They KEEP that status, but their points are true to the actual number of nights they have cruises. My sons and DIL have to literally cruise past 175 nights to attain D+, but they are now D. This is because my sons were under 18 when Dad and Mom (that would be moi) attained Diamond status. That's what was in effect in December of 2009 when we went on our family cruise with our soon to be DIL.

Now, I cannot tell you anything but what happened with us, so if this is not the current policy I have no information about it. I can only tell you what we did. On the Independence in December of 2009 we went to the Loyalty Ambassador. I introduced myself and my son, telling her we were both Diamond members, and giving her his C&A number. I also introduced our lovely DIL to be, and said we needed to enroll her also in the program. I asked if she would be enrolled as Gold or Diamond since they were engaged to be married in 8 months, and they lived at the same address. The LA said she would make her Diamond immediately since they had the same address, were engaged, and it would save everyone the trouble of changing her to Diamond later on after the wedding.

Addtional note:

You know there are over 6 million C&A members, and I'm quite sure there are a HUGE number of people that sign up on a ship that aren't married. RCCL doesn't ask for a copy of your marriage certificate to prove your marital status, so co-habitation is probably very, very common among the 6 million members.

In our case it was a legitimate situation: they grandfathered my DIL in the program. The difference is we didn't lie about it like the huge numbers of co-habiting C&A members; we said when they were getting married. It was the LA's call, and I'm sure they are making these type of enrollments every single day.

Once 18 they do not go back to the level of their own C&A credits. That's the policy. They maintain the level the parents were at when the kid turned 18 but start accumulating credits from their own point level. That is pretty clear and there is no question that is the policy.

The question is, are significant others living at the same address given this status? Nowadays, I would be surprised if they didn't extend domestic partners the same level since same sex couples can't legally be married in most states. If they are allowing same sex couples to share status based on the cruises of one, they would be prejudicial in not allowing opposite sex couples living at the same address the same privilege.

Someone could push this issue. Although I don't know for a fact that they are allowing same sex domestic partners to share levels. Maybe someone who knows will step in and tell us that policy.

Gina

Once 18 they do not go back to the level of their own C&A credits. That's the policy. They maintain the level the parents were at when the kid turned 18 but start accumulating credits from their own point level. That is pretty clear and there is no question that is the policy.

The question is, are significant others living at the same address given this status? Nowadays, I would be surprised if they didn't extend domestic partners the same level since same sex couples can't legally be married in most states. If they are allowing same sex couples to share status based on the cruises of one, they would be prejudicial in not allowing opposite sex couples living at the same address the same privilege.

Someone could push this issue. Although I don't know for a fact that they are allowing same sex domestic partners to share levels. Maybe someone who knows will step in and tell us that policy.

Gina

Thanks, Gina. That's what I've been trying to say. I don't know the "official" on any of this, but I would imagine with hetero couples they are taking it as stated and checking for common addresses.

Personally, I think all significant others with the same address should be allowed to be grandfathered, regardless of sex. We are not talking huge numbers with the D and above C&A status, and it's good for business; it encourages people to keep cruising if they get a few perks.

Ok,just did an online chat to ask............I used my daughter and BF as an example......was told it is same household.....does not make a difference if they are engaged or not..........so now my daughter's BF is Diamond:) The rep made the change immediately.

Ok,just did an online chat to ask............I used my daughter and BF as an example......was told it is same household.....does not make a difference if they are engaged or not..........so now my daughter's BF is Diamond:) The rep made the change immediately.

Hey, Kathy, that's great! That's what's been rattling around in my head for the last few days about this thread: it's the same household thing, not the engaged or married thing. That's great for them!

Hey, Kathy, that's great! That's what's been rattling around in my head for the last few days about this thread: it's the same household thing, not the engaged or married thing. That's great for them!

Yea,now they just need to be able to book a cruise..$$$:p

Gina

So now you know...same address,same status.......no matter the relationship.

Yea,now they just need to be able to book a cruise..$$$:p

Yes, we've taken the three of them (2 sons and a DIL) on two cruises with us now about 2 years apart. They will have to pay for there own from now on.

Son #2 and DIL seem to have won the Family Travel Lottery, because her father suddenly decided last December that he wanted to take the entire family on a 10 day land trip to Greece!! Wow! Did the two of them marry into the right families, or what? hahahahahaha :D

If an old Pinnacle Widow marries a young lady and they have a child and they take a family cruise woulld the child be pinnacle for life?

Doubt that an old widow and a young lady could do that, but if it were an old widower, you wouldn't be able to get the grin off his face:D

So if you live with someone (same address) RCI will give them your status by merely telling RCI your "engaged".. Hmmm. :confused:...Sorry this "policy" doesn't sound quite right..and would be very easy to abuse as there is no way to prove it...(JMHO)..Would be very interested to know if anyone else on these boards has found this policy has worked for them.. :)

DW and I have different last names (for professional reasons), and her point total and mine are identical even though she's taken more cruises than me. (we both have her point total). All C&A has to link us together is address.

So if boyfriend and girlfriend share status due to same address, why do they discriminate against family members (for ex my son) who are older than 18 but still live in the family household?

Doesn't seem to make sense.

Great..That's clear enough and thanks for the RCI chat (hopefully it won't depend on which CSR you speak with ;) )..Now those that this may affect can make the call to RCI to have that significant other elevated to their status level....:)

So if boyfriend and girlfriend share status due to same address, why do they discriminate against family members (for ex my son) who are older than 18 but still live in the family household?

Good question.

And it may be that because your son lives at the same address, that he will be able to get your status.

The whole system is messed up.

If that were the case, if I were sharing a residence with a roommate - a good friend, not a partner, that they'd be able to get the same status as me if we made the effort to link them.

I think that's what it is - if you make the effort to link them and have the same address or are married, then they'll do it.

It doesn't seem fair for engaged couples who aren't living together to not be able to get the same status... but then again, if engaged couples aren't living together, then most likely they wouldn't be sharing a room on a cruise ship, either. But you never know - maybe they just have work in different states.

It's not flawless.

Good job! I wonder how many significant others haven't had their accounts linked. Most of them probably don't read CC so it probably won't raise the numbers by too much. :)

Gina

Good job! I wonder how many significant others haven't had their accounts linked. Most of them probably don't read CC so it probably won't raise the numbers by too much. :)

Gina

You don't have to worry about my daughter and BF crowding the DL......Im sure it will be awhile till they can cruise again..

Good question :confused:...My over 18 DS lives at home so he should get our D+ status after DH and myself's next cruise which will elevate us to D+..he's D now....

Archived