Dental emergencies

Salty Dawg

Is the ship medical staff able to handle minor dental emergencies such as a tooth crown coming off during the voyage? We met a wonderful woman (Kborth) who had this happen & wondered if the infirmary is equipped to deal with this type of inconvenience.

Is the ship medical staff able to handle minor dental emergencies such as a tooth crown coming off during the voyage? We met a wonderful woman (Kborth) who had this happen & wondered if the infirmary is equipped to deal with this type of inconvenience.
Other than pain pills, no. There is no dentist onboard. However, they will assist you in finding a dentist in the next port.

Not when we were on the Sun Princess earlier this year. I had a dental emergency and they said they could make an appointment with a dentist at our next port of call. I think they probably had a list of dentists they would refer people to.

My wife had a crown come off on one cruise & other than dental adhesive we couldn't locate any dental glue like they sell in the US at any Caribbean port. (which doesn't work very well any way)

They also don't sell any dental glue on the ships.

I always have a small kit with me (as insurance), just in case I loose a crown, break a took or loose a filling.

Tooth and crown saver by Dentak

The secret is to take it with you, just in case

Sandy in Spain

I always have a small kit with me (as insurance), just in case I loose a crown, break a took or loose a filling.

Sandy in Spain

It might not be a bad idea but I wonder if it has a decent shelf life as the stuff I bought in Walgreen's didn't work all that well & she wound up using dental adhesive any way.

In any event it turned out to be something good since a major problem that would have gone undetected surfaced was found & a new crown was made when we got home.

For those with dentures, a "denture repair kit" purchased at a drugstore, like Walgreens BEFORE you leave home can be very useful. I have taken one with the every time I have traveled for several years, and have never had occasion thus far to need it for myself.

However on a recent 28 day cruise, a shipboard friend had a tooth break off his partial, and I loaned him my kit. He was able to reattach the tooth with the "glue" in the kit, and it stayed attached for the remainder of the cruise. There are supplies in the kit for 3 repairs, and I think it only cost about $5.

Something to consider ......

Sandy in Spain

Thanks for the advice... I'm going to purchase the kit to add to my first aid supplies!

I was on day 2 of a 14 day Med cruise when my tooth cracked and a piece fall off. Knowing full well there was no staff dentist I still decided to contact Guest services and glad I did. Guest services was aware of a passenger that was a dentist and contacted him to evelauted if the tooth required immediate emergency treatment which cause me to leave the cruise and rejoin at another port. This was more service from the cruise line than I had even expected.

Lucky the tooth did not require me to cut the cruise short. The dentist told me that since I wasnot in pain and the nerves were not exposed to get some sugar free gum and keep the tooth covered so the edges would not cut up my mouth. Basically this was "combat" dentistry" . Also to chew only on the good side. It worked out fine until I cut home. I just made certain to cut my food into small pieces . I never missed anything including my favorite foods.

Definitely look for an expiration date on any dental "repair" kits....I bought one when a crown came off and my dentist was off for a holiday.....the stuff was OLD and wouldn't work! Luckily, the crown stayed on my tooth until the dentist returned, but without the glue.....had it been longer, I don't know what would have happened. Just make sure you're buying "fresh" glue and/or filling!!!!

Other than pain pills, no. There is no dentist onboard. However, they will assist you in finding a dentist in the next port.

Yes, and they will arrange the port agent to meet you upon arrival to take you to the dentist. If necessary, the ship's doctor will get you started on an antibiotic. I awoke with an abcess the morning of boarding, was put on Cipro, and saw the dentist in Grand Cayman. It was 'recommended' that I see the dentist there as opposed to Jamaica or Cozumel...good move!

My crown came off while on a cruise and the doctor in the medical center was able to put it back on with adhesive from a dental kit. She told me to visit my dentist when I got back home because it was a temporary adhesive. My dentist tried to get it off and couldn't so it's not so temporary!

I now carry some basic dental supplies with me.

Archived