A Warning and Advice

Any and all medical history/conditions/treatments aside, my take-away from this thread is to remember the precautions indicated (insect repellent, covering ex[posed areas, awareness of "bug bites" or other skin disruptions, possible avoidance of situations where insects are an issue if you're very sensitive, etc).

I was just going to say the same thing that the OP was trying to point out the fact that you should be prepared if you are going in wooded or jungle areas.

Taking antibiotics for any self diagnosis is wrong no matter how you look at it

I have to agree - the other concern about taking antibiotics when it turned out to be unnecessary is that you build up a tolerance, and eventually resistance to the antibiotics. You should only ever take ANY antibiotic when there's a real, proven need - they are not "preventative" or designed to be taken "just because".

I had a doctor when I was a kid that prescribed antibiotics for anything from a stuffy nose to a hangnail. In that era the stuff was handed out like candy for anything and everything since I don't believe they understood what the possible negatives were quite yet.

As a result I'm now 100% resistant to many traditional penicillin based antibiotics, leaving me fewer options when I do need an antibiotic that actually works for me.

Hmmmm, not one qualified medical person responded during all these posts. They must be too busy treating self-medicating people to read Cruise Critic although I've met them on cruises.

Phil

Not true...we've got a doctor on-board;)

Cruise ships don't create these problems!

People, food, animals, plants, birds and bugs etc.

.....bring them on/into our homes, ships, planes, airports, buses, offices, schools, elevators, nail salons, barber chairs, holiday parties, festivals, resorts, beds, hotels/motels, restaurants, stores

and other large events.

The spreading of these problems cannot always be stopped immediately,

but controlled with time and effort.

Take precautions and have respect for others.

That doesn't look like an EM rash associated with Lyme Disease (not Lyme's- it's singular)

But only about 30% of Lyme cases ever get the bullseye rash.

Go to lymenet.org for details on preventing, accurately diagnosing, and successfully treating Lyme- which does recur if not treated properly.

I think you mean that Lyme disease is not possesive. Lyme's is possesive not plural for Lyme. Lyme Disease is named for the town in Connecticut where it was first diagnosed .:)

As my yearly cruise looms -- this year on Mariner out of Galveston on Jan 22 -- I'm reminded of the post I wanted badly to make last year but never got around to it.

Last year we went on Voyager out of Galveston, first week of February. Everything went well, so I thought. I was especially smug in thinking that I managed to pack everything needed. It seems always there is ONE item I miss. Well there was one item I missed and it turned out to be a very crucial one.

Bear with me, I'm gonna do mystery diagnosis, or maybe House. :)

About a week and a half after we got back, I started having these odd symptoms. Inexplicably appear and then just as abruptly, clear up. (this is why I should have done this last year, I don't remember them all). I remember some really nasty stomach upset & diarrhea, lasted half a day.

Then at work a few days later, I came down with severe flu symptoms. Really odd, cause I'd had my yearly flu shot. I felt terrible, stuck it out at work, went home and promptly fell into bed. Malaise, chills, feverish, achy, you name it, I was positive I had the flu. Next morning I rolled out of bed and felt fine. This is getting curioser and curiouser.

It was getting out of bed was when I saw the rash on my ankle. I'll see if I can post a picture but it was already starting to form the classic "bull's eye" pattern. That was what drove me to the computer to try to put all the symptoms together.

Have you guessed it yet?

This is a self-diagnosis mind you, but I'm pretty sure I contracted Lyme Disease. Took a bit of researching to try to figure out what country I could have picked up it from, but I believe it was in Belize during the cave tubing excursion. Quite a bit of walking through the Belizean rainforest during that tour.

And the item I forgot? Insect repellent. Did not notice any tick bite, I'm fortunate it bit me on a visible location and rash did come up. Fortuitously, and felicitously, I happened to pick up some of the recommended antibiotics in Cozumel. So I self-treated as well and self-diagnosed. A Z-pack for 5 days, then 1000mg of amoxicillin daily for about another 2 1/2 weeks. Was planning for the antibiotics I snagged in Cozumel to last longer than that, but I was glad to have them.

Our upcoming cruise is the Cozumel/Jamaica/Grand Cayman run. I think I'll stay out of the rainforests. And I won't forget the bug repellent. :)

Picture one is what the rash looked like when I discovered it. Picture 2 is what it looked like after 3 days on the antibiotics.

Self diagnosis and self medication - boy you're brave. !!!

I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

Self diagnosis and self treatment of unknown illnesses based on surfing the web is not a good idea IMHO. If you get sick or are exposed to a virus, bacteria, or some kind of allergen seek professional medical treatment.

Shhhhhhh, he is eating popcorn and watching football. He does share though.;)

Not saying who...:p

I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

Self diagnosis and self treatment of unknown illnesses based on surfing the web is not a good idea IMHO. If you get sick or are exposed to a virus, bacteria, or some kind of allergen seek professional medical treatment.

Now that's funny:D

I just got back from the western and am pretty well nibbled on from Roatan. The darned black gnats are bad there, especially on the beach areas.

Other than that I am tired and listless and missing a nap.... no wait.. that is PCD. :rolleyes:

I think that some Mexican antibiotics will cure it..... or maybe something else from Mexico.:eek:

Archived