Babies in the pool

Cupcrazy

My brother and sister-in-law are thinking of taking a cruise in October 2012 with Princess. Their daughter will be 10 months old at the time. Will she be able to go in the pool with them? I'm thinking she has to be out of a diaper but can't find anything on Princess' website.

My brother and sister-in-law are thinking of taking a cruise in October 2012 with Princess. Their daughter will be 10 months old at the time. Will she be able to go in the pool with them? I'm thinking she has to be out of a diaper but can't find anything on Princess' website.
Only if she is 100% potty-trained, no bare butts, no diapers, no swim diapers allowed. You might consider bringing a small, blow-up pool, filling it with water and letting her play in that out of the way of others and where you can empty it into the drains at the side of the ship.

FYI, the same holds true of the children's area. Only fully toilet-trained children although you can bring her up and play with her; no babysitting offered on Princess.

Just confirming what others have already posted. Here's the official from Princess:

Infants/Young Children and Swimming Pools

Parents/guardians are reminded to bring their children dressed in appropriate attire with towel and sunscreen. Youth staff will not conduct children's activities in the adult or splash pools. Parents must supervise their children at all times when using the pools. Infants and young children in diapers and/or swim diapers, and children who are not toilet trained are NOT permitted in any of the pools or spas due to public health concerns.

It can be found here under "Age Requirements/Traveling with Children"

Only if she is 100% potty-trained, no bare butts, no diapers, no swim diapers allowed. You might consider bringing a small, blow-up pool, filling it with water and letting her play in that out of the way of others and where you can empty it into the drains at the side of the ship.

Does Princess allow that?

I recall seeing a tots pool it was green plastic croc with a few inches of water in it, do Princess still have this in the kids area.

yours Shogun

Do they still have this?

It's been 30 years since I cruised with a child so I'm not familiar with all the in's and out's of cruising with kidlets but people have posted on CC that they have done this. As long as the water doesn't go near the pool and is out of the way, I'm guessing it's allowed.

It might be a trick filling it, but space permitting I can't see why not (bringing your own pool)

There was one 'tot pool' on the play deck for the kids club on the Island, never used with no toddlers on board, just stood up against the side.

Do they still have this?

Babies on cruise ship = bad time for the parents and guests on board. Tell them to get a sitter (aka Grandma & Grandpa).

That's what I said for them to do. If it were me I'd wait until the kid is older but they don't want to.

Babies on cruise ship = bad time for the parents and guests on board. Tell them to get a sitter (aka Grandma & Grandpa).

Took my oldest daughter on her first cruise when she was six months old. We had a good time. Yes, it was different then a typical cruise experience but still enjoyable. She was a very quiet baby so we had no issues "disturbing" other passengers. Actually quite the opposite we could not go anywhere or do anything with out people stopping to talk to her or hold her. Most nights at dinner we didn't even see her much as she made the rounds to each table with the head waiter. I think just about everybody on the ship knew her name including the captain. It brings back fond memories, now the younger two daughters would have been a different story.

Bottomline nobody wants to here a screaming child but if you don't think that will be an issue then go for it!!

This is not always true. Both daughters and their husbands have taken babies and toddlers on cruises and have had wonderful times and memories. Yes you have to take care of your children but then that is the idea of having children. They know how to manage their children so that they are not a bother to others and still allow the child to have appropriate fun. They did both say that they never had such personalized service from the staff and that everybody knew the "youngest passenger" (he was 6 months/2 days old!) the next cruise he was 14 months old and did well on RCCL. At 26 months he was toliet trained and a swimmer but because other folks were bothered by the tiny guy they chose to just swim on the beach only (nobody wants to believe that toilet training happens at different ages for different children). I too would object to ill mannered and bothersome children but please don't judge until you have the facts for the individual. I will try to give the same respect to the loud drunk adults that bother me. :rolleyes:

We've sailed with my grand kids at 6 months old, 1 year old, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 and not once did our family intrude on your personal space. Obviously our family thinks it's a great time with little ones. Last family cruise, it was 1 year, 2 years and 5 years old. My DGS can't hardly wait for our next cruise.

Our son (6) has been on 4 cruises, and our daughter (2) has been on 2, all with Princess. Both love it (as do mom and dad)! My son is potty trained and uses the pool. My daughter is not a big fan of the pool (not trained anyway), so we have brought a small blow-up pool for her and it works well! We get a bucket from one of the bars to fill it up, and dump it in the shower or a drain (whatever makes the most sense). It works perfectly!

The best times I have ever had on cruises have been when my kids were with me. Wouldn't have it any other way!:)

Hi All

I recall seeing a tots pool it was green plastic croc with a few inches of water in it, do Princess still have this in the kids area.

yours Shogun

That pool is just on the Grand and Golden Princess--oddly placed adjacent to the adults-only Lotus Spa pool. (Based on early publicity re: Grand's extensive drydock I thought it was to be removed, but post-drydock photos show it is still there.) I have seen parents taking their tots in swim diapers into it, certainly permissible there as it is designed for no one larger than a toddler.

We just came off the emerald in November with our 10month old. We took a blow up pool and used it all around the ship, even on our balcony to bath her at night. Many times we used it on the blue tile area that surrounds the pool right beside the showers, that way we could feel like we were in the water at the same time. Just as another poster said, we used a beer bucket to fill the pool then dumped it in the shower or a nearby drain. No one seemed to be upset and most people got a kick out her rubber ducky pool! We're going on another cruise on the Grand in 3 weeks with her(so obviously cruising with a child isn't that bad!) and will bring it again but the grand is one of the few ships that has a splash pool, although I think the potty trained rule still applies...kind of silly if you ask me. I know that the Caribbean also has a splash pool on the aft.

We just came off the emerald in November with our 10 month old. We took a blow up pool and used it all around the ship, even on our balcony to bath her at night. Many times we used it on the blue tile area that surrounds the pool right beside the showers, that way we could feel like we were in the water at the same time. Just as another poster said, we used a beer bucket to fill the pool then dumped it in the shower or a nearby drain. No one seemed to be upset and most people got a kick out her rubber ducky pool! We're going on another cruise on the Grand in 3 weeks with her(so obviously cruising with a child isn't that bad!) and will bring it again but the grand is one of the few ships that has a splash pool, although I think the potty trained rule still applies...kind of silly if you ask me. I know that the Caribbean also has a splash pool on the aft.

That's the personal experience I was hoping to hear. I'll def tell them to do this. They have an extended balcony so putting it on the balcony would be good too. I'm going to e-mail them your post right now. Thanks so much

Archived