UBD Question

chippye

My wife and I will be on Grand 2/4/12 Rm C714. Want to try UBD should we try at port in San Juan or another nite when ship is underway. Have been on four Princess cruises never tried UBD want it to be a pleasant experience.

We booked ours for a formal night, so ended up at sea. It was very nice, but I do have to admit wind was an issue (we had a bumpout corner on the Island). Doing it again, I would probably go with a a late port night.

My wife and I will be on Grand 2/4/12 Rm C714. Want to try UBD should we try at port in San Juan or another nite when ship is underway. Have been on four Princess cruises never tried UBD want it to be a pleasant experience.

We did our UBD during a late night in Honolulu & it was great. We did the Champagne Breakfast the morning after leaving Maui on the way back to LA & it was windy & cool. I'd suggest a day in port & that's our plan for any furture UBD.

The UBD is a wonderful experience. The food was excellent, but be sure you have a big appetite! We found there was too much food for us. We would do it again, but as others have stated, the best time is on a late port day as it can be windy on the balcony. The flowers and photo are a nice touch.

We did the UBD two weeks ago on the Crown while it was in port in Curacao. I originally wanted to schedule it for that night because I thought perhaps some of our tablemates would take advantage of our late departure and skip eating on the ship. It turned out they didn't. But being in port was great.

We customized the menu by having creme brulee for dessert. I wish I had customized it more by asking what vegetables came with the surf and turf. Neither of us likes asparagus, and that was the veggie that came with our entrees. If we do it again, I might also ask for a different appetizer. The crabmeat quiche in puff pastry was delicious, but we really needed something lighter.

In reference to the UBD and wind being an issue, we would like to do this on our fall cruise and have an aft balcony. I'm under the impression this will be a great balcony for dining as there should be almost no wind to impact the UBD - have any of you enjoyed the UBD on an aft balcony, and if so, what was your experience with the wind?

Our night in Curacao was warm and a bit humid so I have to agree with Geoherb that the crabmeat quiche was too heavy so we only ate 1 of the salads which was excellent. I think next time I would ask for ice cream or one of the fabulous gelato's for dessert as I am not a chocoholic. OMG just thinking about this wonderful experience makes my mouth water.

Good point - you can customize the menu, to a point. I don't care for lobster so they switched in 3 beautiful prawns for me.

And yeah, the crab quiche is heavy, but oh so good.

Panama2011Card6-19-L.jpg

Panama2011Card6-15-2-L.jpg

Panama2011Card6-21-2-L.jpg

We did the UBD two weeks ago on the Crown while it was in port in Curacao. I originally wanted to schedule it for that night because I thought perhaps some of our tablemates would take advantage of our late departure and skip eating on the ship. It turned out they didn't. But being in port was great.

We customized the menu by having creme brulee for dessert. I wish I had customized it more by asking what vegetables came with the surf and turf. Neither of us likes asparagus, and that was the veggie that came with our entrees. If we do it again, I might also ask for a different appetizer. The crabmeat quiche in puff pastry was delicious, but we really needed something lighter.

We have had the UDB on an aft balcony and there is no trouble with wind.

Thanks for the confirmation of this... I can hardly wait!! :D

I suspect, however, that we are going to end up deeply regretting booking that aft cabin... we may never be satisfied with any other than aft facing in the future!!:p

Thanks for the confirmation of this... I can hardly wait!! :D

I suspect, however, that we are going to end up deeply regretting booking that aft cabin... we may never be satisfied with any other than aft facing in the future!!:p

You won't have any problem with wind and/or rain with an aft cabin UBD. We have done the UBD on the aft and even if it were pouring outside and had high winds, the balcony is so sheltered that you would not feel it. Now if the boat is rocking all over the place, that is another story :p

You are right about the aft cabin. Once we sailed in one, nothing else has compared since then. We now always try to book an aft.

We have had the UDB on an aft balcony and there is no trouble with wind.

That is so good to hear, wehave an aft balcony booked on the caribbean princess in feb and I will definately do a port night for this. the pics all look so tempting.

The charge is $100 per couple. It includes one cocktail per person (I had a mojito and DH had a Long Island ice tea), canapes, appetizer, salad, entree with sides, dessert, cookies, and specialty coffee, and a half bottle of champagne. Plus you get photos taken by one of the ship's photographers and get to choose one print included in the price. Then there is the flower arrangement that they leave with you for the rest of your cruise. I figure it was well worth the money. It's something we look forward to doing again whenever we have another balcony cabin.

You won't have any problem with wind and/or rain with an aft cabin UBD. We have done the UBD on the aft and even if it were pouring outside and had high winds, the balcony is so sheltered that you would not feel it. Now if the boat is rocking all over the place, that is another story :p

You are right about the aft cabin. Once we sailed in one, nothing else has compared since then. We now always try to book an aft.

We can hardly wait for that aft - up until now we've only had insides and oceanview rooms, but we figured on the B2B in Europe a balcony was a must, and then we read about how much people enjoy the corner aft cabins and we were lucky enough to get it for both segments!:) Could be habit forming.:p

The charge is $100 per couple. It includes one cocktail per person (I had a mojito and DH had a Long Island ice tea), canapes, appetizer, salad, entree with sides, dessert, cookies, and specialty coffee, and a half bottle of champagne.

Hmmm - no main meal? Or did you just miss it?

They had the "entree with sides", probably surf n' turf (seawater and a divot from a putting green I think).

I was thinking of doing UBD a couple of hours after leaving Princess Cays January 15 on the Crown....could be windy (anyone know if so?) so am now thinking Curacao, though in a starboard cabin we won't see the city lit up..... (mirror on a very long stick, maybe?)

Norris

in Chicago until Jan 13

Curacao is the perfect night to UBD with the late departure. Its an awesome view no matter which side of the ship you are on. A million dollar view, lobster, steak, champagne and flowers all for $100. Wife not having to cook the meal or clean up.....priceless! Hapyy wife = happy life :D

The charge is $100 per couple. It includes one cocktail per person (I had a mojito and DH had a Long Island ice tea), canapes, appetizer, salad, entree with sides, dessert, cookies, and specialty coffee, and a half bottle of champagne. Plus you get photos taken by one of the ship's photographers and get to choose one print included in the price. Then there is the flower arrangement that they leave with you for the rest of your cruise. I figure it was well worth the money. It's something we look forward to doing again whenever we have another balcony cabin.

Thank you for the prompt reply. Sounds like we might try .