OK Couples....Who does the most planning?

packedandready

I've been checking prices, planning excursions, arranging dining time, applying BoA points, etc, etc. We're driving to the port so don't have to worry about airfare, flights or hotel. All this got me to thinking ... who does your planning?

Of all the vacations we've taken in our 35 years of marriage I've (DW)planned about 99.999999999% of everything. DH is perfectly content to just show up. I usually run things by him, but his response is "you always do a good job and I enjoy whatever you plan so do what you want". I could never have that attitude. I want to know who, what, where and when. He just asked me yesterday "what days to I need to schedule off" for our April cruise. Most of the time he doesn't even ask about our excursions till the day we're in port:eek:.

So...who does your planning????

DH does about 90%, I used to do it but he has turned into a closet travel agent, and spends more time on travel sites than any other site, so I have given up the reigns and let him have at it. He loves doing the pricing game, and working the logistics, so I can just sit back and listen, oh yeah and write the checks.

It is funny you posted this. I was talking to my DH and mentioned it would be nice to do a big cruise for our 25th next year and maybe one for our son's college graduation. When I asked had he thought any about it he said no. So, we were talking to our son to see if he wanted to go on a cruise for graduation and told him we were going on one for our 25th, he said he hadn't even considered it since it was too early. I told him his dad said the same thing and he responded, well of course he hasn't thought of your 25th since he hasn't even considered what he is going to do for your 24th yet, he is a guy, mom.:eek::p

So, I am sure you can guess who does the most planning in our house.;)

I've been checking prices, planning excursions, arranging dining time, applying BoA points, etc, etc. We're driving to the port so don't have to worry about airfare, flights or hotel. All this got me to thinking ... who does your planning?

Of all the vacations we've taken in our 35 years of marriage I've (DW)planned about 99.999999999% of everything. DH is perfectly content to just show up. I usually run things by him, but his response is "you always do a good job and I enjoy whatever you plan so do what you want". I could never have that attitude. I want to know who, what, where and when. He just asked me yesterday "what days to I need to schedule off" for our April cruise. Most of the time he doesn't even ask about our excursions till the day we're in port:eek:.

I (dw) also do 99.99999% of the planning and don't have any problem wiht it, whcih is great for a control freak like me LOL

I, like you, also run things by my dh but most of the time he just goes along (especially with Disney, he doesn't even ask anymore LOL) but I also have two older teens I have to think about. Now that the kids are older, I do try to get their input on what they want to do since they like to keep active.

When we go to Disney, I'm on the disboards, tug2 when trading one of my t/s, tripadvisor and of course cruisecritic for my cruises. My dh does "make fun" of me when I'm online researching since it takes up most of my online time but in the end and during our vacations he always says I do a great job and everything does run smoothly..GO US!!!

Heh in my house it's me (the scruffy male of the residence) that does it. When something comes up that my GF really wants to do, she lets me know and I try to accomodate it. Usually that's not hard. Other than that, she just packs up and goes.

I (dw) also do 99.99999% of the planning and don't have any problem wiht it, whcih is great for a control freak like me LOL

I, like you, also run things by my dh but most of the time he just goes along (especially with Disney, he doesn't even ask anymore LOL) but I also have two older teens I have to think about. Now that the kids are older, I do try to get their input on what they want to do since they like to keep active.

When we go to Disney, I'm on the disboards, tug2 when trading one of my t/s, tripadvisor and of course cruisecritic for my cruises. My dh does "make fun" of me when I'm online researching since it takes up most of my online time but in the end and during our vacations he always says I do a great job and everything does run smoothly..GO US!!!

I could have said that.......:p

I do 100% of the planning (DH). Cruise 22 coming up and DW has to ask where are we going ? She has gone on ski trips all over the world 30yrs worth and could not recall where we have been if asked:) She likes going, but has no interest in where, when or how

I do the planning and booking and paying. I just ask DH if he wants to go and when. If yes, I narrow it down to a few and then he gives his preference. I know he likes to fly into FLL and not SJ, so that kind of narrows it down there. I know he doesn't want to cruise Europe :(, and can't sail during the Alaska season. So, for now we are still doing the Carribean routes. I take care of the pre or post cruise reservations, research each port for excursions and book airfare and other transportation. I like planning, and he likes going along.It's all good.:D

I do 100% of the planning (DH). Cruise 22 coming up and DW has to ask where are we going ? She has gone on ski trips all over the world 30yrs worth and could not recall where we have been if asked:) She likes going, but has no interest in where, when or how

Too funny, same here.....I do 100% of picking, planning, researching. My DH is the exact same as your DW, he has no idea where we are going to go, nor where we have been.....and has no interest....but he does love cruising and all of my plans. I guess it works after 35 years!

My girlfriend is not much of a planner so I take care of everything and she just relaxes and goes with the flow. I run everything by her as far as show times, etc. but she says she trusts me to do everything. Also, this is her first cruise so she's scared to attempt any planning.

Definitely me. My husband usually starts getting into planning about 2 weeks before our travel date... when all the stages of planning are already over and I'm frazzled. :D He's currently checking out things to do and things to see for our upcoming cruise in February. I'm surprised, actually. :)

He just doesn't plan. He's one of those "don't worry, be happy" kinda turkeys. Really cute turkey, though. LOL! :p

I do all the planning. My partner is usually content with my choices. I'm not sure if he knows there are other hotels/cruise lines/excursions available. I know he prefers Washington National over Dulles or BWI, I know he likes to fly late morning so I try to accommodate those preferences.

Last year on Allure we had a great excursion in St. Thomas on the Bones pirate ship. I'd researched all the excursions, I checked many different CC threads about this pirate ship. Afterward as we were changing for dinner he says, "we're sure lucky those guys told us about the Bones excursion." :eek:

I just stared until he understood. We'd be stuck at the airport without tickets if he was in charge of this stuff.

I plan the entire enchilada! I get the bug to do something, drop a hint, pursue it like a trickle of water, and then strike for the booking! Once agreed and booked, the planning begins with me finding the best deals, where to go, how to get there, and what to do once we are there. I compile a travel book, tabulated, reservations, receipts, and all relative info. I love doing it - I love discovering the options and then discussing options and sealing the deal. Of course, in my work life I was a Protocol Officer and ran post operations and contingency planning for the Army. When I am on vacation, let's say in a line at Disney that is getting too long, I have been known to want to start moving the ropes to form the line properly...and DH pulls me back and says it's not my job or reminds me to let "it" go. GASP... The reward comes at the end when we all had a great time and would do it all again. But I must admit - one reason I love cruising is that the preliminary work is the planning and once we are on board - I don't have to worry about transportation, meals, rooms, and so forth cause it is all done and I can relax. It's great!

Are you me?

My DH says the same things and occasionally he adds "I'll follow you anywhere." I'd be crazy if I didn't have a handle on everything & I'm always amazed that he's content to just go where & when I tell him.

But................. It works well, he never complains, & we've never had a bad cruise. What's better than that?

I do all the searching and planning on the computer, then ask DW what she thinks then I research some more and book it. However I'm guilty she is (and always does) doing the packing! we leave in the am for New Orleans VOS here we come:D

Me, the wife.....on our last cruise DH didn't even know (read: remember what I'd told him repeatedly) what ports we were going to until the week we sailed.....:eek:

But, he just goes with the flow and is cool with me doing 100% of the planning and arranging of private excursions, etc. It all works out in the end:)

Archived