How to utilize the space in your cabin

lrs430

We put the coffee table in the closet. On most ships (Voyager, Liberty, Vision come to mind) it will fit and actually sit to one side so longer items like evening dresses will still hang freely. The table will also act as an additional shelf if desired.

We put the empty suitcases under the bed. If you have too many, try to store the smaller ones inside larger ones. We keep one suitcase in the closet to put the dirty clothes in as the week progresses. Try to plan outfits so that you can minimize the number of shoes you pack. Remember that on sea days and beach type port days, you will be spending time in a bathing suit and coverup. You can probably reuse shorts and possibly casual shirts for more than one day as a result. For casual dinners, I take a 2-3 pairs of black pants with different tops to use as you are not in the dinner clothes for a whole day. The same black sandals I wear for casual evenings also work for formal nights, so less to pack. Hope thes ideas help!

Mary Anne

We also bring from home the metal hangers that you get from the dry cleaners. That way we have plenty of hangers to hang everything and then we leave them behind when we leave (since they are disposable anyway). They are so thin, you can hang lots in the closet this way.

Also since we spend most days at the beach or pool, we have found that as long as we have outfits for the evenings, we really don't need much in the way of daytime clothes. I used to over pack sooooo much, but have found that I can really do with very few daytime clothes. Makes it so much easier to plan and pack.

You'll likely get the inevitable recommendation here for an "over the door shoe hanger" that some people are crazy for, but to us gadgets like that are a waste of space. I'd rather have that space going home for that good Caribbean Rum:D

As for the over the door shoe bag- We use them and find them very helpful on longer cruises. They weigh almost nothing, take up no room and....they truly help organize and you're never left scrambling looking for something.

Enjoy your Cruise!

CruiseDivaNJ

I usually buy the over-the-door-shoe-holders FROM THE DOLLAR STORE (DOLLAR TREE) THE HAVE FEWER POCKETS (usually only 6 pockets). 1) - they are even lighter weight (aka cheap and flimsy :D) and 2) - since they only cost $1.00 I can just leave them there without feeling like I'm wasting a lot of money. That leaves the room in the suitcase to take home souveniers, etc.:)

I also take a mesh over the door shoe holder and take magnetic clips. I place the mesh holder on the cabin door to hold small items that way I know right where they are. I also take a totebag (that folds / rolls up), so that when unpacking all items needed for lounging by the pool I place them in the tote, just grab and go for the whole week.

OP....Im smiling because I am a happy over-packer!

Dont fret it at all, there is plenty of room! Store your suitcases under the bed. You will find ample room when you unpack.

As for the over the door shoe bag- We use them and find them very helpful on longer cruises. They weigh almost nothing, take up no room and....they truly help organize and you're never left scrambling looking for something.

Enjoy your Cruise!

CruiseDivaNJ

I agree about the over the door thing. I wouldn't go without it, especially if you are females.

How someone can say it takes up any room ... I don't get it.

I also carry something similiar for jewelry, although I don't hang that one.

Have a great cruise! :)

I agree about the over the door thing. I wouldn't go without it, especially if you are females.

How someone can say it takes up any room ... I don't get it.

I also carry something similiar for jewelry, although I don't hang that one.

Have a great cruise! :)

There isn't anything to get, i would rather take another blouse instead of something I would never use. Hair products are kept in a toiletry kit, sunscreen and sun glasses are in our beach bag along with the camera and our books. We don't use lanyards and shoes go on the floor in the closet. We travel with 3 in a D1 and do just fine with the available storage.

I agree about the over the door thing. I wouldn't go without it, especially if you are females.... I don't get it.

That's cool. I don't take one, never have, never will - I just don't see the point. Does the door actually close when you use one of them, anyway?

One thing I do take (which others may think is silly or useless, but hey) is one of those daily pill boxes. I use a 14 day one (or 7 days with a.m. and p.m. slots) for my pierced earrings! Ingenious! They don't get tangled and every pair has its own little compartment. Saved me last cruise. :)

Definitely bring an over-the-shoe holder. As a previous poster said, it takes up very little space in your luggage and organizes all the small stuff so you can find it quickly and it keeps it off the tabletops! Sunblock, sunglasses, hair brushes, deoderant, small cameras, first aid supplies, lanyards, hairspray, hair gel, hair scrunchies, lotions, oh yea . . . shoes too! And the list goes on and on and on . . . . .

Enjoy your first cruise! You came to the right place for all your tips!

I never figured out where to put the over the door hanger. It doesn't fit on the closet doors. Because of the hooks on the inside of the bath door, it doesn't fit there. I can't remember why I couldn't make it work on the outside of the bath door. I'm just curious.

We put the coffee table in the closet. On most ships (Voyager, Liberty, Vision come to mind) it will fit and actually sit to one side so longer items like evening dresses will still hang freely. The table will also act as an additional shelf if desired.

We put the table in the closet too! Kept the life jackets on the table and shoes under it!

This got me so excited I went to the Dollar Tree to see what they had and hit the jackpot! Got the shoe holder, the bags where you can squeeze the air out, and the mesh laundry bag. So our cruise isn't until 2013! (But I figured it wouldn't hurt to try the stuff out for our trip to NYC coming up.) Thanks to all for the suggestions.

For dirty clothes. We always take a couple of kitchen trash bags. We put dirty clothes in them and store them under the bed. When it's time to pack to go home, just put the bag full of dirty clothes into one suitecase and the clean clothes that we did not wear go into the other suitecase along with everything else.

The bag of dirty clothes is also a good place to stuff breakables that you may take home. Have never had anything break.

That's cool. I don't take one, never have, never will - I just don't see the point. Does the door actually close when you use one of them, anyway?

One thing I do take (which others may think is silly or useless, but hey) is one of those daily pill boxes. I use a 14 day one (or 7 days with a.m. and p.m. slots) for my pierced earrings! Ingenious! They don't get tangled and every pair has its own little compartment. Saved me last cruise. :)

We've used the over-the-door thing several cruises and we love it. There is enough of a gap at the top of the door to accommodate it. We hang ours inside the door and found it especially useful to keep items for the shower in it. It's right outside the shower and wonderfully accessible. Our family of 4 usually travel all in one cabin, and since we all seem to have different shampoos, etc, everyone has their stuff stored somewhere close.

I LOVE your idea of the pill boxes to accommodate jewellry - I need to get one for that - perfect!!

I never figured out where to put the over the door hanger. It doesn't fit on the closet doors. Because of the hooks on the inside of the bath door, it doesn't fit there. I can't remember why I couldn't make it work on the outside of the bath door. I'm just curious.

You put it on the hooks by the cabin door that usually have room service orders and the bags for laundry. Great place for it as you walk in and out...stuff goes into the pockets..sea passes, sunglasses..etc. And its pretty flat so it doesn't get in the way. I think some people buy the great big ones and that is why they don't like them. I just have a smaller one that has about 9 pockets. Also have a little one for jewelry that hangs inside the closet I got from the container store...small clear pockets to keep earrings, bracelets, watches, and rings easily available and organized.

For dirty clothes. We always take a couple of kitchen trash bags. We put dirty clothes in them and store them under the bed. When it's time to pack to go home, just put the bag full of dirty clothes into one suitecase and the clean clothes that we did not wear go into the other suitecase along with everything else.

The bag of dirty clothes is also a good place to stuff breakables that you may take home. Have never had anything break.

I've had something break - back in the day my husband packed the SLR camera in the dirty clothes, then forgot and heaved the sack of laundry over the railing of the open stairwell to the basement upon our return. Crunch!

This got me so excited I went to the Dollar Tree to see what they had and hit the jackpot! Got the shoe holder, the bags where you can squeeze the air out, and the mesh laundry bag. So our cruise isn't until 2013! (But I figured it wouldn't hurt to try the stuff out for our trip to NYC coming up.) Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Just don't forget where you've hidden them! :D

(And years later, I'm still finding long-ago purchased Christmas gifts -- kids' things for our now-grown daughters!! :o)

I also shop at Dollar Tree before a cruise. I do get the over-the-door shoe holders because I can always flip them out when the cruise is over. I also get these pop-up cloth-covered cardboard boxes. There are different sizes, but are all roughly the size of a shoebox. We use them to corral all of the little items (make-up, jewelry, etc.).

I also shop at Dollar Tree before a cruise. I do get the over-the-door shoe holders because I can always flip them out when the cruise is over. I also get these pop-up cloth-covered cardboard boxes. There are different sizes, but are all roughly the size of a shoebox. We use them to corral all of the little items (make-up, jewelry, etc.).

We also use those cloth-covered pop-up boxes: a small one on the nightstand to hold DH's wallet, watch, Set Sail Pass, etc so he can empty his pockets each night and a larger one for me to hold my stuff. (apparently I have MORE stuff!) Don't you just LOVE Dollar Tree?!!

We have an AOS cruise booked in March are staying in a Superior Balcony room on deck 9. I am starting to worry about the space inside the cabin in regards to unpacking our luggage. Two twenty four year olds are staying in this cabin with what I am sure will be too many clothes, shoes, make up, etc. Any advice in unpacking or space saving ideas? What do the closets look like? Bathrooms? Drawer space? Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated! Many Thanks!

Before my first cruise reading these boards had me convinced FIVE of us would never fit in one room (a regular ocean view!) Ppl recommended over and over again we book a 2nd room, which would've been fine had they offered to also pay. :D We did 2 cruises that way - and not only unpacked, spread out stuff in the bathroom for 2 adults and 3 kids. I cant imagine any room on a ship that couldnt hold the stuff of 2 people. Youll get lots of responses that say its tight - and yes the shoe holder over the door is a good tip- but you can also just trust that 2 ppl can fit in pretty much any room just fine.

People on the boards will tell you that 4 cant fit in rooms fit for 4 ppl. Im sure its tight when its all adults- but it gets worked out.

Enjoy your cruise!

I don't think you'll have any problem with storage. We never take an over the door shoe holder and have never needed one. There are shelves in the closet, shelves on the sides of the vanity, shelves in the bathroom, drawers on the sides of the vanity. DW and I never fill all of the available shelves/drawers. Two females will probably pack differently than we do but I'm sure you will still have plenty of room for all of your stuff. We store our suitcases under the bed and use one of them for dirty laundry.

Archived