Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

when i 1st read about the muster drill i thought there was something wrong some channels were saying it was on the 1st day of a weeks cruise and others were saying it was on the last night of the cruise. When you look up the ships schedule it is tacking passengers on at each port so surely it should be doing the muster and life boat drill every day???

They do a drill in the language of the boarding passengers for each port. For English speaking passengers it is done in Rome, Savona and Palma, because the cruise is sold to English speaking passengers to board at those ports.

From what I have heard, Costa runs it's cruises on a loop... not a 'closed loop' like US based cruises where you board in say Miami and noone else joins the ship along the way or debarks (usually). Apparently, Concordia picked up new guests from Rome and were gonna hold another muster drill this afternoon (law is 24 hours from departure it must be done, not before the ship leaves port). Passengers aboard from earlier would have already had their muster drill.

No, but you knew the answer to that. The shipping companies I sailed for all have a quiet agreement with MM&P (Masters, Mates and Pilots, my union), they choose their Captains and sometimes will allow the Captain to choose his Chief Mate (1st) and Chief Engineer. I went back to school in my 40's, graduated California Maritime Academy 3rd in my class, but starting this career that late in life with the above "arrangements" with the union did preclude me from being the Master.

Now I will re-ask my question, what license do you hold? Give tonnage please. As you know there is a huge difference in training and testing between a 6 pack, 200 ton, and Unlimited.

Aaaahhhhhhh!

Now I know where the saying

"Jack of all trades and MASTER of none"

comes from.

Ron

Obviously the vessel was off-course, but according to her track she had been off-course for some time. I will not begin pointing fingers at anyone... it could have been human error as much as it could have been a mechanical problem.

It seems to me Concordia was having some electrical issues throughout the event, just look at the photos... no balcony lights are on, no cabin lights are on. Then later, it seems there is a total power failure and only emergency lighting is on (just navigational, some top side lighting and lighting along the promenade/lifeboat stations). It may have not contributed to the incident in anyway, but I thought I would point it out nonetheless, we don't know what really happened.

Also, here is an image from this MSNBC article showing the Italian Coast Guard recovering the 'black box':

ss-120114-ship-04.ss_full.jpg

Link: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45997416/ns/today-travel/?fb_ref=.TxHT_UdOiHE.like&fb_source=profile_oneline#.TxHY2eTTSqy

Great picture -- thank you for the link.

For a ship that had navigational problems,

it was to make several turns, and then after passing between the two islands where the SeaNews Turkey article says they struck the rock,

proceed north,

and then do a U turn and head back south facing the light house???

Also, if you look at the islands it passed between, they seem to be less than 200 feet apart, and the ship was 118 feet wide.

The navigational problem, whether input or auto pilot, was 8 miles before the boat hit. The boat obviously hit a a high speed, or at least faster than a slow drift to save passenger lives. Betting the farm it wasn't until visual of island was made did they commit to circumnavigating those rocks, no other choice or hit the island.

The only alternative is engine power stuck on full steam and intentionally hit those rocks to stop the boat. Becasuse if mechanical failure, alarms would be sounding for 10 minutes or more. And if engine power stuck on full ... plenty of wide open waters to burn some gas.

Probably the worst maritime desaster, either in peace or wartime was the sinking of the Wilhelm Gustloff with over 9000 deaths (exact number will never be known as the ship was full of refugees).

By coincedence I was watch a program about the Gustloff sinking on German TV last night.

http://www.wilhelmgustloff.com/unknown.htm

Ron

Thankyou.

Very interesting, (well not interesting, but you know what I mean.) I didn't know about that one, well not that I can immediately recall anyway. I think it was the MS Estonia that was in the back of my mind when I wrote my original post.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/september/28/newsid_2542000/2542093.stm

Tragic for all. We've sailed on the Concordia too. It seems so so unreal.

I admit that I have spent most of the muster drill's joking with the people around me about how unattractive the life jackets are.

No More! Next time I cruise I will be paying strict attention to what I am being told.

THink I might also start to carry a small flashlight with me and put it right next to my life jacket in the cabin.

Many of us are now thinking along those lines ;)

-you are not alone.

Carry decent flashlights...REAL ones...one for each person in your cabin

I just got off the Concordia 12 days ago. I became friends with several crew members and I am just sick about this. I would like to see if I can find out if they are all ok.

As many have said, It's unfathomable that something like this can happen, but she is made of steel and she will sink. I will say that I felt Capitan Schettino was extremely competent. A coupe of these ports (Malta and Savona) were fairly small and I was amazed at how he manuevered this behemoth into slips. Matter of fact, he told me to pay special attention to Savona because there would be 3 Costa cruises in port that day (Serena and Deliziosa) and that the harbor master always gave him the smallest "slip" even though he had the biggest ship. I was on deck when he pulled it and I still have no idea how he did it. Couldn't believe it even though I was watching with my own eyes.

I just read a report on a Russian site where Schettino stated that he never went off course and that the rocks he hit were not marked on the navigational maps he used. I honestly don't know what to think

I used to be critical of my DH when traveling until we were stuck in Hurricaine Charlie in Disney. He had flashlights, extra batteries. Well prepared.

When we cruise he takes a portable crank HAM RADIO Flashlights, first aid kit.

Over KIll ....quite the contrary...........

Just a great Husband and Father protecting his family.

Safe travels.

Now I am hearing that the cruisers were not informed of any danger for 60 min. ????????

Why?

Thank heavens some passengers stayed calm, and started their own evacuation.

Be Alert

Be Prepared

Who would have thought this would have happenned.

The only alternative is engine power stuck on full steam and intentionally hit those rocks to stop the boat.

Because if mechanical failure, alarms would be sounding for 10 minutes or more.

And if engine power stuck on full ... plenty of wide open waters to burn some gas.

C.Concordia is equipped with two electrically-powered Azipods rated at 34,000 K-watts each

Many of us are now thinking along those lines ;)

-you are not alone.

Carry decent flashlights...REAL ones...one for each person in your cabin

Use Head lamps. Yes, they do look silly but you'll have your two hands free.

Just for the record, I did not say the following:

" If the ship is declared a total loss then it is likely that she will be left in place,

the fuel and any other salvagable items will be removed and she will be left to rust away."

I was making the point to earlier poster that, if so, it would be an environmental problem and I hope it would not be the case. Only time will tell. This story will go on and on for months.

I got a feeling Carnival is going to pay on this one I hope it does not affect the other brands they own Costa is owned by Carnival corp.

Don't worry, Costa is insured via it's classification authority RINA. Costa is insured if the Concordia is scrapped or is repaired.

Carnival Corp has over 100 ships, but the loss of a ship and 3 lives cannot be put into monetary terms.

Ron

C.Concordia is equipped with two electrically-powered Azipods rated at 34,000 K-watts each

Carnival Destiny/Conquest Class ships, of which COSTA CONCORDIA is a dirivitive of, do not have Azipods. They have a traditional shaft, propeller, rudder arrangement.

Ernie

Hi All

Passenger has being telling his story,

however well done to all in Italy,

on getting of the ship by a coast guard boat folks where quay side with blankets and hot drinks,

with in hours he was on main land , and then bused to a hotel in Rome

and is awaiting a flight tomorrow home.

yours Shogun

We bring flash lights, but head lamps seem the better option. Also, DH and I were talking about what we would do.. We travel with our child with us, regardless that we were told she would be brought from kids club to us.. At our MS I could see many parents, splitting up.. One to kids club and one to MS, in hopes that one parent would would live, if everything went to he'll in a hand basket. It's just heart breaking.

What about all the water tight doors, could they not be closed once the hull was breached? You see so many of them. I remember sailing on the QE2 and all of the different decks and stairwells made it very hard to navigate the ship and we were told it would prevent the ship from sinking. Everyday they would test the doors. Makes you wonder.

It would also be interesting to know when the last visual inspection was done. On a December 20th Queen Victoria cruise we had a 3rd officer and staff Captain give a presentation. They talked about all of the technology and electronic charts available, both agreed and mentioned several times the importance of conducting visual inspections. I thought it was very interesting to know why, because I thought they were belaboring a point. I understand a lot more now.

I would say that gash ruptured at least 2 of the major watertight compartments below the waterline, due to its length. That would be tough to handle...

I wonder if the gash we see on the port side is the 'real gash' or if there is another on the starboard side? Otherwise, I think the ballast theory is correct.

I just read a report on a Russian site where Schettino stated that he never went off course and that the rocks he hit were not marked on the navigational maps he used. I honestly don't know what to think
Russian site? Well that's one signal might be twisted, crazy rooskies.

Also if he did say this, under counsel advice, he might just be saying what he knows. He may not have known off course until too late that he hit. And not being able to look at navigational equipment, instead only the visual, he might be stating what any pilot would state, what you absolutely know, not what you think you know.

Sky news UK now reporting that Captain and 1st officer have been arrested by Italian police for multiple manslaughters and abandoning ship while passengers were still in danger. Alledgedly they let at 11.30pm but last passengers not off until 3am. Reporting now still looking for 40 people.

How and why can you defend running aground?

I wrote this on another thread concerning this accident. The Splendor is the sister ship of this one. The Splendor had a generator problem that created a fire large enough to knock out the ship. I think it's fair to assume if it happened in large seas or close in to shore the outcome would have been different.

I also assume, since the Costa ship was of the same design as the Splendor, it would have shared the same equipment. It's possible this ship also experienced a generator problem, knocking out power at the worst possible time (very close to land). I'm sure the Captain was trying to correct the problem and everything escalated to the point where he might of lost situational awareness and went into the rocks.

This is all speculation. No one yet knows what really happened so I think we need to give the Italians some credit especially for getting the majority of the passengers and crew off the ship safely.

I'm retired from the Navy. Do you want to know how many US Naval Captains have lost their careers for running aground?

I would say that gash ruptured at least 2 of the major watertight compartments below the waterline, due to its length. That would be tough to handle...

I wonder if the gash we see on the port side is the 'real gash' or if there is another on the starboard side? Otherwise, I think the ballast theory is correct.

IMHO, think it's both sides, that boat was not meant to pass those rocks, ever. It hit at close to normal travel rate, he wasn't trying to save lives from previous damage 8 miles out. This is starting to become crystal clear now.

Use Head lamps. Yes, they do look silly but you'll have your two hands free.

If you feel that you need to bring such items on a cruise to help you enjoy your trip then that is your right and I certainly hope there will be no need for them.

I doubt I could include many of these items. However, after reading the stories of the confusion by the passengers and others (ie. the company not being sure who have made it from the ship), I think I would make sure I would do the following:

1. take extra care to know where the escape routes are for my stateroom and dining area, and point them out with our sailing party

2. go over with our party how we would handle being separated from each other, and how we would find each other after a possible evacuation. I would imagine that we would make contacting the nearest embassy/consulate the logical choice, in addition to any services made available to us by local authorities

3. Obviously, pay very close attention to all instructions during the Muster drill. No talking, but ask questions of the crew if the instruction is unclear to you.

4. let everyone know that we will update our statuses on Facebook (or similar) when possible. Include if you are safe, and the next destination you are headed to (ie. city, hotel name and info, etc). Also point out in an update if you have contacted the embassy, and if you are in need of assistance (ie. money to be wired). Also make sure that someone contacts family at home to let them know of your status. This might also be helpful if you are separated from your sailing party as well.

5. Have an electronic copy of your passport available. I send one to myself online via email for just such instances. That way, I can access these copies if I am separated from my documents. Last time I travelled, I had an electronic copy of my passport, birth certificate, Visa, and health insurance information in electronic format available. I deleted this when I got back home, but this is quite safe if you have a strong email password.

Don't live in fear, but talk about what you would do and how you would recover from a bad situation (evacuate ship, medical emergency, theft, etc)

Archived