Trains into Rome, busy in May?

Dunmore2

We are docking in Civitavecchia on May 2. I read that since the first week in May is holiday time, the trains are often full going into Rome and don't pick up passengers there. Has anyone experienced this?

Gosh, I certainly hope that the regional trains stop in Civi on May 1st. We had planned on taking the train to Rome om May 1st. You can still stand on a regional train, even if there are no seats available. I can't imagine that the train would be so full that they would not even stop.

Has anyone had experience with R trains not stopping in Civi on Labour day (May 1st)?

Thanks,

jill

Gosh, I certainly hope that the regional trains stop in Civi on May 1st. We had planned on taking the train to Rome om May 1st. You can still stand on a regional train, even if there are no seats available. I can't imagine that the train would be so full that they would not even stop.

Has anyone had experience with R trains not stopping in Civi on Labour day (May 1st)?

Thanks,

jill

I don't see why they wouldn't. Thousands of Italians ride the regional trains every day, that's primarily what they're there for. If you're really worried, bring up the timetable on trenitalia, and double check.

There are two types of trains that service the Rome - Civitavecchia run .

- The first group of trains just run between Roma Termini and Civitavecchia . Non seat booked, just jump on . Peak tarvel months are June & July.

- The socond group of trains that service the Civitavecchia - Rome run are longer distance Inter City & Regional trains that originate/ terminate further North at La Spezia or Pisa. On many of these trains seat reservations are required and your TA can book these for you . If you board a compulsorily seat booked train you will be fined and possibly detrained ta the next available stop .

So here look up the Trenitalia timetable on line and select a local Roma - Civitavecchia train, and avoid all the hassles.

The article,by Tom Sheridan, of toms portguides dot com, showed that both local trains and intercity trains were affected.

I was hoping someone who had been on either of these trains during the first week of May would share their experiences.

Thanks.

The article,by Tom Sheridan, of toms portguides dot com, showed that both local trains and intercity trains were affected.

I was hoping someone who had been on either of these trains during the first week of May would share their experiences.

Thanks.

I hate to sound negative, but I would not trust Tom's Port Guides as a source of information about Rome. I've reviewed his content before and it is sadly lacking, not referenced, and not entirely accurate.

I looked to see what you are referring to and found where he "says" this is true -- sounds like it is based on hearsay from a few other cruise passengers he might have talked to. (And it is important to note that he says it, he does not "show" it).

Unfortunately, I have not been there during the May 1 holiday, so I cannot personally weigh in one way or the other. I would think it much more likely that trains might indeed be packed on May 1 (less so the next day) and that it's possible the train stopped but passengers waiting could not find space to get on. It's also possible that these passengers were a bit too intimidated by the crowds to push on -- which local Italians probably would've done. I think it HIGHLY unlikely that the train wouldn't stop at all, given that Civitavecchia is a commuter stop and lots of locals there also use the train -- erego, the train would have to stop for passengers getting off, if nothing else....

I would advise, if you are very concerned, posting this question on the Rome forum on Tripadvisor, where there are local posters who can no doubt fully answer your question.

We have a little experience in Italy having been there on about 2 dozen cruises plus several months of driving trips throughout the country. We are puzzled by what the OP posted and here is why? The regional trains that carry you from Civitavecchia to Rome are essentially commuter trains used by thousands of Italians to get to work in Rome. This means that the early trains (between 7 and 9) tend to be a bit crowded (we have been on a few that were standing room until we hit a few stations further down the line). On May Day (May 1), since many of Rome's offices and other businesses are closed we would expect the trains to be much less crowded during the commuter hours. As to the trains not stopping because they are full, we have never heard of any such thing in Italy (and we have been traveling there for about thirty years). The regional trains stop and discharge passengers at each station as well as board new passengers. Also keep in mind that since May 1 falls on a Tuesday (in 2012) many Italians (and Europeans) will use it as an extended 4 day holiday weekend...but on May 2 things will pretty much be back to normal. Since Monday mornings are treated, in Italy, almost like an extension of Sunday (many shops and businesses do not even open on Monday mornings) this also plays into the 4 day weekends (Italians love their long weekends).

Getting back to the OPs comment about the trains not stopping, we would suggest the OP ignore that source of info and might want to question their credibility on other issues too.

Hank

Thank you cruisemom, I have come to trust your judgement/advice after reading many of your posts over the years. You have a sound background and are always generous with your help. Having lived overseas for many years and traveling independently, I have learned that "experience is the best teacher".

The next best is others' experiences.

I noticed a small discrepancy in the port guide for Venice, and was hoping the train info for Rome was a "one time thing". We really want to be on the train to Rome on May 2. I will post my question on the Rome forum.

Archived