Roll Call Bummer

harleysmama

I love to interact with the people that are going to be on my cruise through the roll call but I have put 2 different roll calls out there and only a couple of people have been on and they are not on much at all. I am about ready to go to a roll call that will be before or after my cruise in July, but then I am not connecting with the ones that I can meet on my own cruise. Just had to vent, sorry.

Slow roll calls can be frustrating when you're excited. Some rolls are just quiet for some reason.Your cruise is 6 months off, but there should be some activity by now. Also, island Princess is a small ship as well so your roll call numbers will be small (working on 1-2% of total passengers).

Hope you get more people on your thread real soon.

We were just talking about this the other day. Recently we were on an Island Princess roll call and it has been/is very quiet. The cruise is only about 3 months away (we recently had to cancel, unfortunately). Sometimes I think it could be just the "luck of the draw". Over the years, we've been on some roll calls that were extremely active, and led us to meet many great people--some of whom we still keep in touch with. Other roll calls have been inactive, with only a handful of posts and no interest in planning a meet and greet.

Good luck with yours--hopefully it will pick up as you get closer to your embarkation date.

I love to interact with the people that are going to be on my cruise through the roll call but I have put 2 different roll calls out there and only a couple of people have been on and they are not on much at all. I am about ready to go to a roll call that will be before or after my cruise in July, but then I am not connecting with the ones that I can meet on my own cruise. Just had to vent, sorry.
This might sound odd at first, but you would not be the first person who checks the Roll Call before deciding which cruise to book. It's one way to make sure your pre-cruise excitement is share with fellow enthusiasts.

There's no rhyme or reason for a slow or amazingly exciting roll-call group.

It really depends on two or more of the members who take on the roll of the "cheer-leaders" - They make the lists, they contact the ship, they write daily about the where and the when of coming together as a group, etc., etc.

Without at least two cheerleaders the "Meet & Greet" and the roll-call in general just kind of falls apart. And, it's a "hit" or a "miss" as to whether or not these annonymous folks pull together on any given cruise.

We've been on cruises where the folks who pulled together the Meet & Greet were like professional wedding planners. We had gifts, prizes, wearing apparel, private meeting rooms, drinks, hors d'voures, the captain and the cruise director in attendance. It was unbelieveable and, really a lot of fun. We've met some of the nicest folks and are still in contact with them.

I want my cruise to be fun and I love meeting new folks, I really appreciate the other people who have great imaginations and take the time to bring everyone together. :)

It really depends on two or more of the members who take on the roll of the "cheer-leaders" - They make the lists, they contact the ship, they write daily about the where and the when of coming together as a group, etc., etc.

Without at least two cheerleaders the "Meet & Greet" and the roll-call in general just kind of falls apart. And, it's a "hit" or a "miss" as to whether or not these annonymous folks pull together on any given cruise.

We've been on cruises where the folks who pulled together the Meet & Greet were like professional wedding planners. We had gifts, prizes, wearing apparel, private meeting rooms, drinks, hors d'voures, the captain and the cruise director in attendance. It was unbelieveable and, really a lot of fun. We've met some of the nicest folks and are still in contact with them.

I want my cruise to be fun and I love meeting new folks, I really appreciate the other people who have great imaginations and take the time to bring everyone together. :)

Wow! I'm a first time cruiser and the Roll Call for my cruise is relatively quiet but the originator seems to be a great lady who has shared a lot of her excitement (she's also a first time cruiser). Seems to be a few core members and the activity goes in spurts.

Anyhow - how would first time cruisers plan a Meet & Greet? Is there someone at the cruise line to contact to arrange meeting the captain, meeting room, etc. Who bears the cost some of the perks you mentioned? Will the cruiseline supply any goodies?

Appreciate any & all ideas - I'm not a prefessional party planner but if I can get some interest on our Roll Call I might be inclined to try to plan something modest!

Cheryl

This is exactly what I mean. My cruise last April had such an active roll call, we had special wrist bands, several meet & greets, tastings, and have made some good friendships. One of the reasons I love to cruise is meeting people, and meeting them before the cruise is even better. All I can do is hope that my roll call will pick up.

Wow! I'm a first time cruiser and the Roll Call for my cruise is relatively quiet but the originator seems to be a great lady who has shared a lot of her excitement (she's also a first time cruiser). Seems to be a few core members and the activity goes in spurts.

Anyhow - how would first time cruisers plan a Meet & Greet? Is there someone at the cruise line to contact to arrange meeting the captain, meeting room, etc. Who bears the cost some of the perks you mentioned? Will the cruiseline supply any goodies?

Appreciate any & all ideas - I'm not a prefessional party planner but if I can get some interest on our Roll Call I might be inclined to try to plan something modest!

Cheryl

There are coordinators for the various ships who you can contact to make the arrangements. Princess doesn't offer too much in the line of refreshments--perhaps some bar snacks (pretzels, nuts, etc.). They will work with you to provide a venue and set up a date and time that works for your group. You would have to pay for your own drinks.

We sailing on the Island Princess to Alaska on May 30 and our roll call has been very active for some time. I think it helps if you have some advance planners in the group that plan ahead of time for excursions etc. and are willing to share that with the group. That keeps the excitement up and leads to more sharing among the group. I hope your roll call activity picks up soon. I'm really looking forward to meeting those in our group that have been chatting since last summer.

I have to agree with Bob, active roll calls are the best. But there is no guarantee that any particular cruise is going to have a fantastic roll call. Over the last few years, DH and I have been incredibly lucky to have had some terrific roll calls and through them, met some people whose friendships we will treasure for the rest of our lives (you know who you all are!!! - yes you!!). These roll calls and the subsequent activities together while cruising, not to mention pre and post cruise gatherings, create incredibly warm memories.

BUT.....a slow, boring, dull roll call does not mean a cruise won't be great. There have been some small, slow, non-cohesive roll calls over the years as well. Did we have a bunch of parties before the cruise and thereafter? No. Oh well. Did we enjoy our cruise - you bet!!! And did we make new friends - absolutely!! Just strike up conversations on board and find some people you enjoy, or consider it a "cruise for two" and enjoy some couple time alone.

You just have to have some patience, activity may increase a bit on the roll call prior to sailing. Alaska is a great adventure - I am sure you will love the Island Princess and the ports of call even without a large group of people to party with!

Ginger

Cheryl

Call Princess and tell them that you would like to plan a Meet & Greet for your cruise. You can meet in the Wheelhouse Bar or Skywalkers on the first sea day. You and a few others can pre-order cheese & crackers and bring your own wine or everyone can order from the bar. One person brought balloons and lei's for everyone. We all brought a $10.00 gift and did a gift exchange [someone put all of our names in a bucket and we picked a name and got their gift.]

We met for lunch and all sat together the next day and planned a day at the "High Tea" and all sat at the same table just chit-chatting and enjoying all the yummies together!

I guess it's all up to your imagination and time. As has been said, you will have opportunities to meet people in many different settings onboard and off your cruise.

You can be alone or have lots of people around you. Have fun!!

I originated CMcG's roll call for the Island Princess NB May 23 (thanks Cheryl) and am also a member of HRPro''s which sails on May 30 after we arrive in Whittier, Alaska. A few folks are also on the Princess one on Facebook but primarily introduce themselves and some may move over to CC.

Early on chatted extensively with the other WIAPS--way in advance planners--on the May 30 southbound --we are kindred spirits in that regard and have helped each other think through ideas. The tempo of the May 23 roll call is different and I hope equally as helpful. Now it's my turn to share what I learned earlier.

I wonder why folks introduce themselves then do not interact.

I would like to put faces to peoples names and especially meet those that I would like to thank personally but I am not a party person (quite the opposite) and would prefer to meet in other ways--just not sure what is practical for everyone.

I have started several roll calls as I tend to book early. The two I started this year are very very quiet. Our British Isles cruise last year was very active. I think some of it has to do with arranging private tours. We "needed" each other. We must some wonderful people, well traveled, and eager to have new experiences. Facebook has enabled us to keep in touch.

We are sailing in 8 weeks time on the Ocean Princess and we have a very slow Roll Call in fact we only have 12 couples altogether. I posted a week ago on the Roll Call if anyone would like me to organize a Meet and Greet and only two responded. I waited a week and posted another notice and we now have 6 couples altogether who have replied. I am going ahead and organizing a meeting with the Princess co-ordinator but I feel at times as though I am up against a brick wall and it is quite frustrating.

I have never before had such a lack of response or even enthusiasm regarding a Roll Call. We have always had great ones where we have all discussed the coming cruise etc and this time it has been just so different.

We are on a Celebrity cruise from New Zealand in March 2013 and already we have over 30 couples on the Roll Call. The lack of response has nothing to do with the ship or the itinerary, I just think that sometimes more Cruise Critic members are booked on the ship than at other times.

Jennie

I am sailing to Panama Canal in 2 weeks on the Island, and several months out the roll call was very slow.. now as we are getting closer it has really started to pick up. I would say activity doubled about 1 1/2 months out. Hope it works out for you.. it does boost the enthusiasm.

that so many sign up for the roll call but do not show up at the meeting. On the Ruby last month, fewer than a third actually showed up. That is totally disrespecful to the person(s) who do all the work to get the event going. If you sign up, then show up!!!!

We are sailing in 8 weeks time on the Ocean Princess and we have a very slow Roll Call in fact we only have 12 couples altogether. I posted a week ago on the Roll Call if anyone would like me to organize a Meet and Greet and only two responded. I waited a week and posted another notice and we now have 6 couples altogether who have replied. I am going ahead and organizing a meeting with the Princess co-ordinator but I feel at times as though I am up against a brick wall and it is quite frustrating.

I have never before had such a lack of response or even enthusiasm regarding a Roll Call. We have always had great ones where we have all discussed the coming cruise etc and this time it has been just so different.

We are on a Celebrity cruise from New Zealand in March 2013 and already we have over 30 couples on the Roll Call. The lack of response has nothing to do with the ship or the itinerary, I just think that sometimes more Cruise Critic members are booked on the ship than at other times.

Jennie

Ocean Princess is a small ship - I think you've done very well if you have 12 couples!:). We will be on the Ocean Princess in August to Ireland & Scotland, with just 3 people so far. In fact, I've actually been following the British Isles roll call for the Caribbean Princess leaving the day before us so that I can find out what they have planned.:D

I think some people take the term "roll call" literally - pop in to say "here" and then move on. They want to stop and say Hi but don't really want to commit to a meeting, and in fact may just be quietly following the thread to get ideas. Which is fine - nothing wrong with that. Other people may be traveling with a large group or extended family and don't necessarily need to connect with anyone. Some people are content to make friends with those they meet on board and are not big planners. Nothing wrong with that either. It just depends on the mood of the other passengers who are booked on the same cruise, I guess.;)

Active roll calls are definitely the best - everyone wants their excitement to be that of their fellow cruisers. Our last cruise (not with Princess), we met several times during the cruise - sailaway party together, meet & greet party, tea time together in the main dining area, and then went to a speciality restaurant all together one night - was great!

The Mr. & I are on the Star headed to Alaska in July. Our Roll Call is fairly quiet. I think there are three of us that have been chatting here & there. I love meeting new people and making new friends. My Mr. on the other hand is not as 'outgoing' so if it was up to him, we probably wouldn't participate in any type of Roll Call gathering. I guess there are a lot of people out there like my Mr. :rolleyes:

Archived