Why don't Cruise lines allow bringing on alcohol.

miched

Right.

But, the point is, why should they be permitted to bring cases of water ***** board, but others are not permitted to bring cases of beer?

Drinking unlimited water won't result in a person becoming drunk and stupid.

Drinking unlimited water won't result in a person becoming drunk and stupid.

Those that drink and become stupid on a cruise will drink and become stupid whether they bring their alcohol on or buy it.

If the cruise line wants to prevent drunk and stupid, they should not provide alcohol, huh?

For years HAL allowed people to bring on their own alcohol and you could also buy the duty free alcohol in the shops and take it back to your cabin.

Then around 2004 that all ended -- HAL's revenue in the bars/lounges dropped considerably.

Now on HAL you can buy alcohol from them for in cabin consumption - it is not sold at duty free prices. We always buy a couple of bottles for our cabin as we do like to sit out on the verandah in the afternoon with a cocktail.

HAL does allow you to bring on as much wine, champagne, bottled water, sodas and mixers as you want. And we have seen people take 2 and 3 cases of wine onto a ship.

HAL does allow you to bring on as much wine, champagne, bottled water, sodas and mixers as you want. And we have seen people take 2 and 3 cases of wine onto a ship.

Now there's a point to consider, in light of BruceMuzz's post. Are wine drinkers less inclined to rowdy and inebriated behavior than beer or hard liquor drinkers? I think that's the stereotype. If so, there should be no issue with unlimited wine and champers.

Even movie theaters do not allow you to carry in popcorn. Why? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Because movie theaters don't make much money from ticket sales. They make their money from concession stand sales. If a movie theater can't make money, they can't afford to pay their bills. Sort of the same thing with cruise ships. If they can't make a profit, they can't pay the bills. And if they can't pay the bills, they'll go out of business. Which would mean no more cruises!:eek::( So please, don't let the cruise lines go out of business. Buy your booze on board. I enjoy cruising too much to see the cruise lines stop cruising. Thank you.:)

Those that drink and become stupid on a cruise will drink and become stupid whether they bring their alcohol on or buy it.

If the cruise line wants to prevent drunk and stupid, they should not provide alcohol, huh?

The key word is "control", not prevent. If you bring on unlimited booze, how is the cruise line going to control how stupid you get if they can't cut you off? I'm not surprised that you can't grasp this simple fact. You don't wan't anyone to cut you off. You want to be able to get as drunk and stupid as you want to be, no matter how obnoxious, rude, or unpleasant you would be to other passengers.

Edited by boogs

Wow -- a thread about alcohol that's remained civil and informative for almost two pages -- that has to be a record! ;)

I always enjoy BruceMuzz's take on things, with his unique insider's viewpoint. :cool:

We've sailed on RC for ten years now, and I've noticed two things about that particular line's policies:

First, although they've never (that I can remember) allowed pax to carry on any alcohol, that policy wasn't rigorously enforced until the infamous George Smith incident; :(

They stopped allowing pax to bring on soda and water, right around the time they started pushing their soda and bottled water packages -- coincidence? :rolleyes:

Personally, neither DH nor I drink soda, and we both find the tap water on board to be perfectly acceptable. I do wish that RC would adopt X's more liberal policy of allowing pax to carry on two bottles of wine (per cabin).

The key word is "control", not prevent. If you bring on unlimited booze, how is the cruise line going to control how stupid you get if they can't cut you off? I'm not surprised that you can't grasp this simple fact. You don't wan't anyone to cut you off. You want to be able to get as drunk and stupid as you want to be, no matter how obnoxious, rude, or unpleasant you would be to other passengers.

First, let's get something straight. I have no problem whatsoever in cruise lines not allowing alcohol to be brought on board. I do have a problem with RCI specifically that has a policy that NO beverages whatsoever, alcohol and non-alcohol are permitted to be brought on, but they sometimes allow water, soda etc, but are strict with alcohol. Make policies and enforce them.

And your point about not being able to "cut you off", they certainly do, and one method of "cutting you off" is throwing you off the ship in the next port.

As for being able to get as drunk and stupid as you want to be, no matter how obnoxious, rude, or unpleasant you would be to other passengers, I do not care if it is from alcohol brought on board, alcohol bought on board, or a caffeine or sugar high. It is the responsibility of the cruise line and their security to take the appropriate action.

Just one question: Aside from an occasional umbrella drink by the pool, or a trip to the Martini bar, we don't spend a lot of time in the bars on board. Has anyone ever actually witnessed an inebriated cruiser being "cut off" by a bar server? And, couldn't that person just stagger off to another bar, anyway? Over the years, I've seen a lot of folks on board who were three-sheets-to-the-wind, but I've never seen anyone actually refused service. :rolleyes:

The cruise lines know that we will NEVER be able to stop passengers getting drunk and stupid.

We are primarily concerned with those drunk and stupid people causing many lawsuits for many millions of dollars.

The Courts told us how to prevent those lawsuits; control alcohol at the gangway, in the shops, and at the bars.

We followed their advice just to up the point of getting away from the frivolous lawsuits.

With the lawsuits out of the way, we can now concentrate on handling a far lower number of drunks and stupid passengers sailing on our ships.

The cruise lines know that we will NEVER be able to stop passengers getting drunk and stupid.

We are primarily concerned with those drunk and stupid people causing many lawsuits for many millions of dollars.

In most instances, the stupid precedes the drunk.;)

Just one question: Aside from an occasional umbrella drink by the pool, or a trip to the Martini bar, we don't spend a lot of time in the bars on board. Has anyone ever actually witnessed an inebriated cruiser being "cut off" by a bar server? And, couldn't that person just stagger off to another bar, anyway? Over the years, I've seen a lot of folks on board who were three-sheets-to-the-wind, but I've never seen anyone actually refused service. :rolleyes:

It really depends on which cruise line you sail. Basically all mass market cruise lines have adopted similar policies for similar reasons.

US Law claims that if a server or establishment knowingly allows a customer to get drunk, any consequences of that drunken state are the legal responsibility of the person who served the alcohol, and the establishment he works for. If someone gets drunk in your bar, then crashes his car and kills someone, you and your server are legally responsible.

Most businesses selling / serving alcohol in the USA - and all the major cruise lines - have been forced to adopt "Responsible Service of Alcohol" training and policies as a means to protect themselves from lawsuits.

On all the mass market lines, any bar server who knowingly serves alcohol to a drunk passenger will be terminated. That is the official company policy. Most cruise lines disable the drunk's charge privileges as soon as he is identified, to further ensure that he cannot just go to another bar and try again.

But there are many ways for a determined person to have another drink; alcohol smuggled in his suitcase, minibar in the cabin, a friend buys it for him, company sponsored cocktail parties, room service, etc.

Do all the cruise lines religiously enforce the alcohol policies? Not really.

Enforcing them completely causes revenue losses for the cruise line.

Remember that these policies are not designed to STOP you getting drunk and stupid.

They are mainly designed to prevent the lawsuits AFTER you get drunk and stupid.

You have actually answered your own question about drunks being refused service.

Since you told us that you rarely go to the ship's bars, it is not surprising that you have never seen drunks being refused service.

On the 3,000 passenger ship I manage, we refuse service to several drunk passengers every night of the week. The smarter ones just walk away; the dumb ones get to spend the night with Security.

Thanks, BruceMuzz -- I love reading your posts -- kind of like getting a peek behind the curtain, lol! :p

I had never thought about the ship's ability to disable the card of an inebriated customer -- but, that's a good idea. And yes, it is difficult to control the actions of another adult -- especially one who's determined to get stupid and self-destructive! :rolleyes:

Profit.

I agree that this is the main reason for not allowing passengers to bring alcohol on board.

If the issue is cruise line liability, wouldn’t there be less carrier liability if the passenger drank what they brought onboard and got drunk rather than purchasing it from the bar and getting drunk, which seems to put the responsibility on the bartender rather than the passenger, hence the increased liability.

If someone brought their own alcohol into a bar and got toasted and then drove off and killed someone, would it be the bars fault if they didn’t even know the person brought their own alcohol inside? With today’s laws, possibly.

If the issue is cruise line liability, wouldn’t there be less carrier liability if the passenger drank what they brought onboard and got drunk rather than purchasing it from the bar and getting drunk, which seems to put the responsibility on the bartender rather than the passenger, hence the increased liability.

My guess would be that the issue is that, since the cruise line is allowing alcohol to be brought aboard in unlimited quantities, they are giving their tacit approval for consumption of said liquor, and might be considered to be a party to any unfortunate consequences. "They knew I was bringing an ungodly amount of liquor on board, they had to know I was going to drink it. They should make those railings on the balcony high enough so someone in my condition can't be tempted to climb up and try to walk it like a tightrope. It's their fault I fell off the ship." Maybe the argument won't hold up in court, but banning carryon liquor at least eliminates that basis for a frivolous lawsuit, which was what BruceMuzz was referring to.

I agree that this is the main reason for not allowing passengers to bring alcohol on board.

If someone brought their own alcohol into a bar and got toasted and then drove off and killed someone, would it be the bars fault if they didn’t even know the person brought their own alcohol inside? With today’s laws, possibly.

Sadly we live in an era where many are not willing to take personal responsibility for their own actions.

When somebody brings a case of tequila onboard, has a binge drinking party, then falls down a staircase or overboard, he does not say," Sorry but I brought large quantities of alcohol onboard, got stinking drunk, and did something very stupid".

Instead he says," The cruise line got me drunk. I demand $20 million in damages for all my pain and suffering." The cruise line goes through all sorts of negative publicity on those great American cable news channels, then spends a $Million or so defending itself against a frivolous lawsuit. Who ultimately pays that for that $Million in legal fees? You, the passengers, in the form of higher cruise fares.

How many bottles of tequila did the passenger bring onboard? He strangely can no longer remember, and the cruise has no way of knowing.

Where / how did he get drunk? Captains welcome party? Minibar? Room service? Generous / careless bartenders? Friends buying drinks? Binge drinking in the cabin? Who knows?

The US Courts insisted that the cruise lines present a system to them that shows we have reasonable control over people who cannot control their own behaviour.

We now have that system in place.

I don't like it. You don't like it.

This is the result of a goofy legal system, a nation of people who refuse to take responsibility for their actions, and a love to take legal action against nearly everyone for nearly anything.

The cruise lines do let you bring alcohol on board WINE. Wine does have an alcohol content & you can get drunk.

Actually only a very few cruise lines still allow passengers to bring their own wine onboard. Officially, the quantities of those wines are carefully limited.

As soon as enough idiots mis-behave with that wine and bring goofy lawsuits against the cruise lines, that privilege will be revoked as well.

It's only a matter of time.

The cruise lines do let you bring alcohol on board WINE. Wine does have an alcohol content & you can get drunk.

Sorry Betty, but you're in for a shock if you ever sail RC -- their policy is well, nada, zip, nothing! :eek:

Interestingly enough, X (a subsidiary of RCCL) allows pax to board with 2 bottles of wine per stateroom. Although, I agree with BruceMuzz -- a handful of idiots is all it will take to ruin that for the rest of us! :rolleyes:

I don't like it. You don't like it.

This is the result of a goofy legal system, a nation of people who refuse to take responsibility for their actions, and a love to take legal action against nearly everyone for nearly anything.

Yes, it's unfortunate and I agree that there needs to be some control.

I would have loved to be in the meeting where they set this policy. Can't imagine it was all about mitigating their liability when the revenue potential for limiting or excluding alcohol being carried on by passengers is millions of dollars.

The Courts told us how to prevent those lawsuits; control alcohol at the gangway, in the shops, and at the bars.

We followed their advice just to up the point of getting away from the frivolous lawsuits.

With the lawsuits out of the way, we can now concentrate on handling a far lower number of drunks and stupid passengers sailing on our ships.

:) In fairness, they can control a lot of the drunk. There is a bottomless well of stupid and they cannot hope to corral it.