My first voyage as a passenger

vanki4

Hi to all here !

I have a booked trip for me and my wife for the next ,,Costa Concordia" voyage ( fm 21-Jan )and the air plane tickets as well.

The vessel sunk ........

Please advise how to proceed in future in order to return the money back.

I was in pnone contact with their staff ,but at the moment they are too busy to respond adequate. I understood how difficult the situation is ,but at same time We are not guilty for others negligence .

Hats off for the divers tried to find the missed persons and also for the people involved with rescue operations.

Once again,this is not a thread for the ,,Costa Concordia" disaster.

I want to recover the money lost and any suggestions will be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Clearly, your sailing will not take place. I am not an expert on Italian law, but I would think you will get a full refund for the cruise. Refund for the airfare is where it could get sticky. Did you get the air thru Costa? Did you buy insurance? Is the ticket refundable?

e

There are a number of factors:

Did you purchase trip insurance?

Did you pay with a credit card?

Is your air fare non refundable?

All these come into play deciding what to do next.

I think the trip insurance is included ,because as per the invoice received

is mentioned the amount for cabin and insurance ,Total -506 Euro.

Also the Port taxes are 120 Euro,

Total 626 Euro per person

re: the payment was carried out by debit card

re:1025cruise

At this point, either contact Costa or wait for them to contact you. Obviously, your sailing will most likely be canceled, but they will be the ones that determine what to do.

You have a reason to think like that and I have to be agree with ,but

it's a too strange for me and too difficult to accept that only the trouble makers to be on position to determine .

Any how I have no too big expectations ....:)

I may be wrong, but in my opinion it's not too much to expect that Costa/Carnival wll make you whole on this regardless of whether you have purchased insurance, including any non-refundable transportation tickets you may have purchased.

You have a reason to think like that and I have to be agree with ,but

it's a too strange for me and too difficult to accept that only the trouble makers to be on position to determine .

Any how I have no too big expectations ....:)

With all due respect, you asked a bunch of people on an internet board what you should do regarding getting your money back. Unfortunately, my answer of contacting Costa, or waiting for them to contact you, is the only answer. Anything we say will be total speculation.

That being said, Costa will more than likely take care of you, but you need to wait to hear from them. I'm sure their first priority is/was the people that were actually on the ship. They probably have people in their main office right now working out what to offer future cruisers.

Ultimately Costa and the others involved in your transaction will determine how much you will receive. Start with Costa, but remember it is likely to be a week of more before they figure out what they will do. I would also contact the insurance carrier.

There is another possibility. Rather than lose money and/or potential customers, Costa could reschedule all future cruises originally intended for the Concordia with other ships in their fleet, or at least offer customers such as you the opportunity to cruise on a different ship, but not necessarily have the same itinerary. This was an unfortunate tragic event. It will take some for Costa to recover from this.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4716

(6 p.m. EDT) -- Costa Cruises has announced compensation plans for travelers booked on upcoming Concordia cruises which had been scheduled to depart through February 25. The line has not yet announced the full compensation package for those onboard the ship Friday evening when it capsized.

Company spokesman Buck Banks notes that "since the focus has been on repatriating guests, decisions on compensation are not final."

For passengers on the January 14 cruise out of Savona:

star2.bmp Costa is assisting travelers in making arrangements to return home. The line will pay for changes to airline tickets.

star2.bmp The line will refund these passengers the price of their cruise and offer them a future cruise credit valued at 30 percent of the fare paid. Additionally, if travelers rebook on certain sailings -- January through March departures onboard Luminosa, Mediterranea, Favolosa, Serena or Voyager (a chartered ship) -- by January 18, 2012, Costa will pay for airfare arranged through its air/sea department.

For passengers on the January 15 - 20 departures:

star2.bmp Passengers who cancel will receive a refund of their cruise fare plus a future cruise credit valued at 30 percent of the fare paid. Cruise-only passengers will not be compensated for air travel changes.

star2.bmp Costa will assist travelers who rebook on certain sailings -- the aforementioned January through March departures onboard Luminosa, Mediterranea, Favolosa, Serena or Voyager -- with making new air travel arrangements and will " work with the airline on change fees for their new cruise."

For passengers on the January 21 - February 25 departures:

star2.bmp Passengers who cancel will receive a refund of their cruise fare plus a future cruise credit valued at 30 percent of the fare paid. Cruise-only passengers will not be compensated for air travel changes.

star2.bmp Travelers who choose to rebook on a future seven-night Costa cruise departing through June 2012 will have their fare protected. Costa will assist these guests with the new air travel arrangements and change fees.

Travelers with questions can contact Costa's reservations department. However, be prepared to wait; Cruise Critic member soonerfanatic, who was booked on the January 27 cruise, posts that "I have spent 4 hours on the phone….Now we have had to make many alternative travel arrangements within a 2 week window and subject to higher fares. What a poor offer, 30% off a future cruise?"

Final payment for Costa Europe cruises is due 90 days prior to sailing. Travelers who have not yet made that final payment can cancel, per the normal policy, for a full refund of their cruise fare. People booked on Concordia cruises departing as late as April may already be in the penalty period, but Costa has not yet announced any cancellation or compensation plans for these travelers. Stay tuned for that information when it's announced.

--by Erica Silverstein, Features Editor

Archived