New to RCI - Which ship?

decoste45

Looking for some input. We have cruised before - 3x on HAL, 1x on Princess, 1x on Carnival and 2x on NCL. We are: me (38), DH (45) and DS (5).

I am pricing out for April 2013. Oasis/Allure D1 cat balcony and Freedom of the Seas Junior Suite come in at the same price.

Which one?

We like to have fun, want a good kids club and are early to bed early to rise people. Both ships look fabulous! We have been spoiled cruising full suites on HAL and NCL. I realize that the perks are not the same or even close if we were to go with the junior suite on FOS. We just want a great first try on RCI.

I would love some input.

Thanks all!

Happy Cruising.

Karmen

Take the junior suite on Freedom for your first taste of RCI. The D cabins on Oasis and Allure are a bit smaller than D cabins on Freedom and Voyager class ships. And check out the Grand Suite prices on Navigator out of NOLA and Mariner out of Galveston for spring 2013. They are very good. And there are lots of perks with GS's on RCI.

Totally agree with the first two posts. If you are already used to "suite-life," the switch to a balcony on Allure may feel rather cramped. We had a balcony on Allure and it seemed a bit smaller than what we were used to (I don't remember what class, specifically). A JS on a Freedom class ship (our fave RCI class, BTW), you can't go wrong.

Sorry but I'd go w/Oasis/Allure over Freedom only because I think the Oasis class does the best job HANDS DOWN of handling crowds. Freedom/Liberty felt too crowded to me. So many places for people to go on the bigger ships that you don't see the crowds.

Also, I find transportation options more to our liking at Port E versus Port C. You can easily catch a taxi from the airport versus paying for a one-way rental or hiring a shuttle service. And really you have 2 airport options (although Miami is more like Port C to MCO distance wise)

But, I'm a big fan of the Voyager class and if you have interest in going out of New O or Galveston I'd check those too. We've been in a GS and those are awesome.

I love the Freedom and Oasis classes, both are great. Since you have not been on RCI, I would say do the JS on Freedom. It is an amazing ship. There are three of you so the room size might be a bonus. Freedom was recently modified to give her some of the features popular on Oasis/Allure.

Book Oasis/Allure next year. They are over-the-top amazing.

Hope you have a great cruise.

If you usually sail in suites the regular balcony cabins on the Oasis or Allure will seem small. The layout of the balcony cabins on the Voyager and Freedom classes is much better. I do like the Oasis class but DH prefers the Freedom. Since this is your first Royal cruise - try the Freedom it is a great ship - you can get a lot of the same things on the Freedom. Get familiar with the ship's layout and when you decide to cruise on the Oasis you will have experienced some of the things.

There is so much going on - on the Oasis that you need to do a lot of preplanning and reservations. It is not as relaxing as the 'smaller' ships.

I have not felt really crowded on the Royal ships except exiting shows. But I don't join the crowds for the 'free' tastings, drawings and sales that seem to get a lot of people.

And as 39august suggested - check out the prices for 'full' suites on the Mariner and Voyager. The suite perks are very nice on the Royal Caribbean ships with a Concierge Lounge. Free happy hour for those of us who enjoy our cocktails is wonderful.

After 4 cruises on Freedom Class ships (I loved them) and 1 cruise on Oasis, I definitely

say, go Oasis or Allure.

As much as i liked Freedom, there is no comparison with Oasis class ships.

Food and service much better on oasis and the entertainment is spectacular.

Archived