Changes

Woobstr112G

Actually, I'm hoping not many, as that would suggest that up until now, the cruise lines and crews had paid insufficient attention to laws, rules, policies, and, most important, their passengers' care. Personally, I've never felt my safety compromised or unimportant in any way - but I will also acknowledge the my husband and I NEVER take safety for granted and always make sure we know how we will respond in the unlikely event of an emergency.

All that said, if anything changes, it will probably just be stronger enforcement of the rules that already exist - for example, staff not looking the other way as passengers pour into the Horizon Court during the muster! Heightened awareness will probably be the biggest change, IMO.

Actually, I'm hoping not many, as that would suggest that up until now, the cruise lines and crews had paid insufficient attention to laws, rules, policies, and, most important, their passengers' care. Personally, I've never felt my safety compromised or unimportant in any way - but I will also acknowledge the my husband and I NEVER take safety for granted and always make sure we know how we will respond in the unlikely event of an emergency.

All that said, if anything changes, it will probably just be stronger enforcement of the rules that already exist - for example, staff not looking the other way as passengers pour into the Horizon Court during the muster! Heightened awareness will probably be the biggest change, IMO.

Long overdue IMHO.....

Bob

While I agree with what has already been said, I’d like to see better (i.e., more timely) communications from the bridge. We’ve been on several cruises where incidents that could have been better communicated to the passengers:

1. On one cruise the ship totally lost all power and we were free-floating for a while during the nighttime hours. We were informed – a day or 2 later – that there was quite a bit of tension on the bridge because we were in an area that was known for its numerous coral reefs.
  2. We were on a Hawaii cruise when the Tsunami struck Japan last spring. The Captain made a very speedy exit out of port and was hightailing it as fast as he could to get into open water. The only announcement that was made was that things could get a little rocky. Most people on the ship, us included, found out about the Tsunami from the news broadcasts that are piped into the cabin TVs. While I now know that there was nothing to be concerned about as long as we were in deep water, words to that effect from someone in authority might have gone a long way towards relieving the anxiety that was felt as word of the Tsunami spread among the passengers.

I’m not saying that the Captain, himself, should make the announcement. In fact, it would be even better if someone who spoke fluent English acted as the spokesperson. The Cruise Director would be a perfect candidate since his/her voice is familiar to most of the passengers.

Archived