Call me paranoid....Eurodam concern

heidik

I've been preparing for my first potential Eurodam cruise - TA to Rome in April......final payment is coming up........I have been reading up on the Eurodam and having a growing concern about potential "vibration" -- I noticed this vibration once in awhile on the Westerdam and also the Noordam, but it sounds like the Eurodam is more severe/prevalent? The several times on the Vista ships I felt it, it really bothered me. I am starting to get really concerned about a TA if this vibration is going to be present. Any recent Eurodam passengers out there to update us on the vibration issue?

We sailed on the Eurodam in March 0f 2011 and did notice a slight vibration in the MDR but as others have said don't let it stop sailing on a great ship. We'll be on her again in two weeks and can't wait. Have been with HAL for over 25 years and just about every ship has some vibration, especially with rougher waters due to stabilizers in operation.

If you want, I can report after Feb 4. But, I have never found a vibration that worried me.

(mllewis48 - do you board then? Or, are you on my voyage, starting Jan 28? )

I do find it odd there's talk of midship vibe. Stern vibe is normal (ie - dining room). Engines are back there.

What deck/location do you want me to check for vibe? You don't need to post your actual cabin number, just.....give me a general idea.

We just got back from the Holiday cruise December 24-Dec 31 on the Eurodam. While I did notice a bit of vibration when in the auditorium and a little when in the main dining room it in no way disrupted our cruise. While on board I never heard or spoke to anyone who was bothered by it. We had a wonderful time and enjoyed our time on the ship very much.

We were on the 12/31 Eurodam sailing and there was definitely a vibration which we noticed most in the Main Dining Room, Lido and the Crow's Nest. While it was not a problem for us and we would not hesitate to book the Eurodam again, you may feel differently. I don't remember feeling the vibrations on the Westerdam. If you are seriously concerned about this, maybe you should rethink this particular sailing.

We were on the 12/17 sailing and only noticed it in the gift shop when we could hear the wind chimes jingling. We did not notice it at any other time. If you are the sort that might be bothered by the least bit of vibration, perhaps you should book something else.

The wife and I were on the Eurodam this past November. We were on Deck 6 about midway between midships and aft. There was a small noticeable vibration present; however, it was not bothersome at all. This may sound strange, but I quite enjoy the idiosyncrasies that remind me that I'm on a ship.

Crystal charges almost twice as much as HAL, and we had vibrations on their Symphony ship for the first three days too. And then it stopped. This could be a factor of sea, weather and speed on any ship. Whoowhee, when the ship goes sideways coming in and out of port - that shakes the rafters too. All part of sea travel much like the clickety-clack and swaying is part of US train travel.

All cruise ships move and make noise. They creak and groan, and yes, even vibrate sometimes. You may even hear whistling in the ventilation system too. Just goes along with being on a 'floating resort'. One thing I notice is when going sideways in and out of port, most ships just shudder. Its rather disconcerting the first time. Nothing to be concerned about though.

That being said, earplugs are always in my luggage for the little noises that might come up, and as far as vibration, well, the crew doesn't want it either and there must be a good reason why its happening.

As someone else said, its like train travel--you just sort of go with it.

We got off this past Saturday.

Once or twice in the Lido buffet the flowers on the table shook. If I had not read about it on here I probably would not have noticed. We had all breakfasts and all lunches there as well as a couple dinners and only saw it a couple times. It was only in the area near Canaletto.

There was also some vibration in the Crows' Nest once--we were in there about 10 times and only saw it one of them.

I don't think you have anything at all to worry about.

All cruise ships move and make noise. They creak and groan, and yes, even vibrate sometimes. You may even hear whistling in the ventilation system too. Just goes along with being on a 'floating resort'. One thing I notice is when going sideways in and out of port, most ships just shudder. Its rather disconcerting the first time. Nothing to be concerned about though.

That being said, earplugs are always in my luggage for the little noises that might come up, and as far as vibration, well, the crew doesn't want it either and there must be a good reason why its happening.

As someone else said, its like train travel--you just sort of go with it.

Very well stated. ;)

We were on Eurodam 1/7 untl 1/14/2012. There are many posts from those on this cruise regarding the significant vibrations on Eurodam. I suggest that you review those. IMHO, this ship has a problem; there are areas where vibrations are so evident. They include our own stateromm SS 6077 where our TV vibrated constantly and using a makeup mirror was a challenge; the bed vibrated; using the toilet was like sitting on a vibrating station (wierd I know. Issues also included the Tamarind where they stated they only seat people at certain tables due to vibrations. While eating, we moved the small dishes around trying to quiet the rattles. The elevator area on Deck 11 outside the Library had the large wall hangings making incredible noises. There were also areas without vibrations: the Lido, Canaleto and pool areas.

I am not out to flame HAL or Eurodam. I am just stating what we experienced. No flames are needed thank you:)

If the Captain says they have a problem that is being looked into, then I'll go with his comment. This is precisely what he said on a Life At Sea forum according to a recent cruiser's post. Let's see what Eurodam passengers coming off the next few sailings have to say about their experience on board with this. I am glad to see one of those has sailed on her last year and should be able to compare the experience to what is being said on these boards.

I feel HAL is under a duty to explain this to all of us who are planning to cruise on the Eurodam in the near future. They can easily send out an email with an explanation. Better yet, just fix it. If it requires taking the ship out of service for a day or two and the loss of revenue is stopping them, I can only advise them that the loss of future revenue can be alot worse from bad PR about this.

I wrote to HAL asking them about this problem. My answer just said that the Eurodam is next scheduled for dry dock in 2013 and they keep it in proper condition, so it sounds like no major repairs for a while.

Here's exactly what they said:

We do attempt to keep all of our ships in top condition. Ships are scheduled for routine dry docks for renovations and maintenance. The ms Eurodam was last in dry dock from Apr 2nd - Apr 12th 2011 and her next scheduled dry dock is Dec 1st – Dec 11th 2013. I hope this information is helpful.

Of course that wasn't very helpful for my May, 2012 Baltic Cruise.

Just returned from the Eurodam this past Saturday and with the exception of one morning in the Lido when the table flowers were vibrating there was nothing. We just moved to the opposite side of the room and everything was fine.
Great to hear, thanks!

Archived