Bringing vitamins onboard

I know that when you bring prescription medications onboard, you are advised to leave them in the original container/bottle. What about vitamins and supplements? Do we have to bring the original bottles/packaging? One of the supplements I occasionally take is in a pretty big bottle, so if I decide to actually take them on the cruise with me, I wouldn't want to have to take the big bottle.

I know that when you bring prescription medications onboard, you are advised to leave them in the original container/bottle. What about vitamins and supplements? Do we have to bring the original bottles/packaging? One of the supplements I occasionally take is in a pretty big bottle, so if I decide to actually take them on the cruise with me, I wouldn't want to have to take the big bottle.

I've seen people bring vitamins and supplements in everything from plastic bags to baby jars.

I don't even know where you heard that about prescription pills. Not likely you have to worry about ANY pills you're bringing aboard in whatever containers.

RCCL is primarily concerned with and nuts about booze:rolleyes:

Nuts?

In 2008, we started cruising again after about 20 years of "abstinence". At the time, my mother was advised by our TA to take the pills in their original containers because she may have trouble getting through security if they can't see what the pills are. Someone in RCI's special needs department confirmed this and added a suggestion that my mom take a note from her primary doctor listing all of her current meds. She has done this each year since then. I was curious about whether I needed to do the same for non-precription vitamins and meds. Thanks everyone.

We carry vitamins and prescription meds in bottles, but not the ones they came in. We just consolidate everything. Never, ever had a problem. We usually carry them on. All the meds we take are preventative-cholesterol, blood pressure, vitamins so we don't worry too much about them.

In 2008, we started cruising again after about 20 years of "abstinence". At the time, my mother was advised by our TA to take the pills in their original containers because she may have trouble getting through security if they can't see what the pills are. Someone in RCI's special needs department confirmed this and added a suggestion that my mom take a note from her primary doctor listing all of her current meds. She has done this each year since then. I was curious about whether I needed to do the same for non-precription vitamins and meds. Thanks everyone.

Going through TSA at the airport would be the only place where they may question you if your prescriptions are not in their original bottles.

Going through TSA at the airport would be the only place where they may question you if your prescriptions are not in their original bottles.

At the time in(in 2008), we weren't sure because, as I said, wehadn't cruised in a while and didn't know how picky security at the port was. We just do it out of habit now, but it's good to know that is isn't necessarily required now.

At the time in(in 2008), we weren't sure because, as I said, wehadn't cruised in a while and didn't know how picky security at the port was. We just do it out of habit now, but it's good to know that is isn't necessarily required now.

As long as nothing in your bag "sloshes" you are good to go!!:D

I take my prescription drugs in their original bottles. My vitamins I take in sandwich zip loc bags with what they are written on the front of the bag. Then everything goes in to a larger zip loc bag. In the larger bag I also put any over the counter meds like Alleve, Senekot, Ammonium or anything else I might need. Never had a problem even when flying to San Francisco in November or getting on a cruise ship.

You can bring your meds in baggies, if you want....daily planners are the most popular way. It doesn't matter....the ship doesn't give a fig what you're taking! However, if you have copious amounts of narcotics, then you should keep those in the original bottle...vitamins...no problem!

I had worried about this, too, and this was my solution. I counted the amount of each over the counter item that we would need and combine them in similar bottles, i.e. daily multiple vitamin and calcium supplement; fish oil and probiotics; allergy meds and tylenol or ibuprophen. These got packed in the checked suitcase.

ANYTHING we had a Prescription for, stayed in it's original bottle in a ziplock that I carried with me. Some were for pain control and were controlled substances. I also carried several prescription cream and ointments in their boxes since it was over 3 oz.

Never had a problem going through airport or dockside security. I strongly suggest all prescription meds stay in the original bottle in the safe when not being used.

As well, we always bring copious amounts of vitamin supplements and put them into old prescription containers for the purposes of consolidation. Always in our carry-ons and never an issue with ship security (or TSA as a matter of fact). Certainly, actual prescription meds stay in their appropriate container.

In my carryon I bring a week's worth in daily doses along with the prescription as I always have one anyway in order to request the next batch. I then have a small box of everything in my case. Am getting more insane as I get older. And I will never go without my vitamins. I also bring pain relief meds and other remedies for any adverse affects brought about by the change in diet; hypo allergenic remedies for insect bites; a d.i.y dental kit should I lose a filling.

My husband has several medical conditions and takes over 15 different prescriptions a day. I wouldn't have room for anything else if I took all his bottles. :D I only take the original bottle if he's taking a pain medication and I also always carry a list with medications and dosages with me.

I called recently regarding my dads medication.

I called the cruiselines AND the airlines.

Both told me that prescription drugs that are not narcotics can be kept in a 7 day calender reminder container.

Only a narcotic needs to be in the original container.

Like George above your post-- I would need a separate suitcase just for my dads prescriptions..

Archived