Jimmy Maddox

elycelynne

Just thought I'd report: Jimmy is such a talented and knowledgeable musician! He plays piano like nobody's business, knows boatloads of musical facts and trivia, great entertainer and nice guy. He really packed 'em in nightly and I thoroughly enjoyed the extensive time I spent in the piano bar on the Nieuw Amsterdam!

(I just wish he played more show tunes, but I can't expect him to know everything.);)

Jimmy is the greatest!!! I sailed with him on the Noordam last year and loved it. I'm proud to say I won "Name that Tune" three nights in a row. It was fun! He has a nice web site/blog to check out. Do a search and you will find it.

You won all by yourself? VERY impressive!:D Two teammates and I won once and came close a couple of other times. But I did collect winnings twice for the "Name That Tune" by the Seaview pool.

You won all by yourself? VERY impressive!:D Two teammates and I won once and came close a couple of other times. But I did collect winnings twice for the "Name That Tune" by the Seaview pool.

No, I won with three different teams. It was a lot of fun!!!

He was loads of fun on the Maasdam last June. The piano area of Mix was standing room only every night and he keeps the place hopping. Hubby and I didn't "win" any but we did get a pin for only missing 2 on Rat Pack night... and we are in our 30's. :p :p:D

He really packed 'em in nightly and I thoroughly enjoyed the extensive time I spent in the piano bar on the Nieuw Amsterdam!
We didn't expect to spend 6 of our 7 Nieuw Amsterdam nights in the piano bar - mostly until closing time - but that's what happened once we dropped in on our second night. He's enormous fun.

For those who want to know, his website currently gives his schedule as:-

• Nieuw Amsterdam: 27 November 2011 to 3 March 2012
  • Zuiderdam: 6 April to 6 June 2012
  • Zuiderdam: 28 July to 19 October 2012

Jimmy was very good on Maasdam in June and I agree it was standing room only in the mix, but Mark Farris last January was more personable and a better player. We spent every night with him at the mix, and just can't replicate the experience on the Maasdam this cruise. Sometimes, perfect can't be duplicated.

Jimmy was very good on Maasdam in June and I agree it was standing room only in the mix, but Mark Farris last January was more personable and a better player. We spent every night with him at the mix, and just can't replicate the experience on the Maasdam this cruise. Sometimes, perfect can't be duplicated.

I have heard very good things about Mark Farris. Unfortunately, I think he's been "Crystal-ized"!

• 3 months later...
We didn't expect to spend 6 of our 7 Nieuw Amsterdam nights in the piano bar - mostly until closing time - but that's what happened once we dropped in on our second night. He's enormous fun.

I just got off of the Zuiderdam, where Jimmy currently is appearing. Like you, I never expected to spend every night of my 11 day cruise at the piano bar until closing! Heck, I don't even drink and haven't been in a piano bar since the late 60's! But Jimmy just drew me, and many others, into the Piano Bar, and kept us there. Very talented, bright, quick and funny. And oh how he can play that piano! :D

Just thought I'd report: Jimmy is such a talented and knowledgeable musician! He plays piano like nobody's business, knows boatloads of musical facts and trivia, great entertainer and nice guy. He really packed 'em in nightly and I thoroughly enjoyed the extensive time I spent in the piano bar on the Nieuw Amsterdam!

(I just wish he played more show tunes, but I can't expect him to know everything.);)

I agree, members of our trivia team talked about how good he was so we checked him out, he was great!

• 5 months later...

Update:-
  • Nieuw Amsterdam: 16 December 2012 to 3 March 2013
  • Nieuw Amsterdam: 30 April to 15 May 2013 (a trans-Atlantic)
  • Zuiderdam: 18 May to 20 July 2012

Archived