What do you consider a "nominal charge"

Wineart

Just got off Eclipse and the daily newsletter advertised that Tuscan Grill and Murano were serving lunch for a "nominal charge". When I called to find out how much the "nominal charge" was, I was told $25pp! I didn't consider that "nominal", and am now curious to find out how much others think a "nominal charge" should be.......

The lunch in there is fabulous though.:D..Appetizer, Filet Mignon/Ahi Tuna,

dessert......it might not be what some consider nominal but it was worth

the price to me;)

Dictionary.com defines it as

(of a price, consideration, etc.) named as a mere matter of form, being trifling in comparison with the actual value; minimal.

$25 for lunch is trifiling in comparison to the actual value. $25 sounds more like the actual value!

"Nominal - virtually nothing, much below actual value of thing". Oxford Concise Dictionary.

I think the cruise lines should drop the use of the word "nominal" and replace with "extra" charge.

They seem to have forgotten that passengers have already paid for ALL meals, so this is an additional charge.

I am sure glad it is up to each of us to decide what is NOMINAL and what is not.

Here are the NOMINAL Fees that Celebrity call NOMINAL that can add up over a 7 day cruise for 2 people in addition to the normal cruise price.

I am not saying nor implying that anyone has to spend this on a 7 day cruise. I am just using this as an example of what NOMINAL can do to anyone willing to pay for the extras.

Specialty Restaurants: $40/person x 2 = $80/day x 7 days = $560

Bistro: $5/person x 2 = $10/day x 7 days = $70

Drink Package: $54/person x 2 = $108/day x 7 days = $756 + 15% + $113 = $869

Lawn Club on Sea Days $150/day x 3 = $450

Champagne Tea: $25/person x 2 = $50 x 2 Teas = $100

Added Total for the above for a 7 day cruise: $2,049

I am sure there are higher prices being charged at places some people frequent on land.

Just got off Eclipse and the daily newsletter advertised that Tuscan Grill and Murano were serving lunch for a "nominal charge". When I called to find out how much the "nominal charge" was, I was told $25pp! I didn't consider that "nominal", and am now curious to find out how much others think a "nominal charge" should be.......

Wineart - My opinion of a nominal charge for that lunch would be one percent of the difference between what a lunch like that would cost at a land based restaurant and what the lunch included with your cruise fare would cost.

Wineart - My opinion of a nominal charge for that lunch would be one percent of the difference between what a lunch like that would cost at a land based restaurant and what the lunch included with your cruise fare would cost.

I'll agree. I'd calculate that somewhere between fifty cents and a dollar!

Nominal for lunch to me would be max of 10 bucks; for dinner, 25. After all nominal should be closer to normal. Of course if you're talkin' filet mignon then that goes up, but for the most part i dont think thats the case here.

Hi,:) yes there is a filet mignon on the lunch menu in Tuscan. Lunch

is only served there once on the cruise. I went with 2 friends and they

each got it and I orderd the Ahi tuna. They were the same filets that

are served during dinner.

I agree that nominal is kind of in the eye of the beholder because it's the consumer who really determines the VALUE. What's of value to me might not be of significant value to someone else. I'd pay $25 for lunch in Murano as I see the value to be higher than that of Tuscan.

Hi,:) yes there is a filet mignon on the lunch menu in Tuscan. Lunch

is only served there once on the cruise. I went with 2 friends and they

each got it and I orderd the Ahi tuna. They were the same filets that

are served during dinner.

Hmmm, well, if that's the case it would need to be higher, as a filet costs more when I go out on land than 10 bucks hehehe.

I guess it would depend on what i wanted to eat. For lunch, filet is a bit much for me, but I can see where others might want to indulge while on vacation :-)

I was on the Solstice in Nov. My husband and I thought the "nominal" charge of $5 each for three courses at the Bistro on Five at lunch was great. It included a salad or soup, a crepe and dessert. We gladly paid extra for drinks and coffee.

I have seen some complain about that charge here in the boards and reviews. After we spent five days in Barcelona pre-boarding the ship and the outrageous prices for bad food, we were not about to complain.

I think a "nominal fee" can't be any more than $10. If it was that much, it must be mighty special. I ate at the Tuscany Grill and it wasn't special. Sorry, all you Celebrity fans. http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=93102

It comes down to one undeniable reality. Contrary to what a lot of people WANT to believe, cruising with mass market lines is not, and never has been, all-inclusive.

But, the beauty of it is this: If you don't want to pay, you don't have to- for any of it! You can go on a seven day cruise, eat in the MDR and the buffet, drink water, milk, ice tea, juice, coffee, and not pay a penny.

Personally, that offers no appeal to me. I want to enjoy a cocktail or two. I want to have a premium dining experience with my travel companions. And I am willing to pay for these things.

Go price out a true "All-Inclusive" vacation at a variety of land based resorts. You're going to pay a LOT more money for slightly more than you get on board.

I am sure glad it is up to each of us to decide what is NOMINAL and what is not.

Here are the NOMINAL Fees that Celebrity call NOMINAL that can add up over a 7 day cruise for 2 people in addition to the normal cruise price.

I am not saying nor implying that anyone has to spend this on a 7 day cruise. I am just using this as an example of what NOMINAL can do to anyone willing to pay for the extras.

Specialty Restaurants: $40/person x 2 = $80/day x 7 days = $560

Bistro: $5/person x 2 = $10/day x 7 days = $70

Drink Package: $54/person x 2 = $108/day x 7 days = $756 + 15% + $113 = $869

Lawn Club on Sea Days $150/day x 3 = $450

Champagne Tea: $25/person x 2 = $50 x 2 Teas = $100

Added Total for the above for a 7 day cruise: $2,049

I am sure there are higher prices being charged at places some people frequent on land.

Or, you pay $400 a day per person to cruise on Crystal. My wife and I usually do two or three meals in the "big three" alternative restaurants onboard the Solstice Class ships; in addition, we will visit the Bistro, three or four times -- so, an extra $260 for all that upscale cuisine is a bargain in our eyes!

Why do people "splurge" when booking a cruise, only to turn into cheap-skates once on board? :rolleyes::)

Enjoy!

Kel:)

$25 seems more than nominal....which I have always thought should be replaced with "Exorbitant" rather than nominal. But the marketing department might not like that word.

I also laugh at how they call their internet fee nominal.

For a relative comparison, I have stayed at the Motel 6 for my kids dance competition at Disney Land. Wifi is something like $2.99 per 24 hours unlimited. What is Wifi on Celebrity? $150 for ...so many minutes.

Now granted a Celebrity ship is way classier than a Motel 6, and the ship is moving which has additional connectivity challenges, But I have to think both companies are making money on Wifi, and how much more is Celebrity making on their's??

I still buy it, but know that it is exorbitant rather than nominal.

:)

Archived