Maasdam questions

lawyerrose

Maasdam's Pinnacle is one the best we've dined in. We find it consistently good.

They do a great job.

Carol:

Is Ana there now or Goren?

Sorry, I don't know because I didn't ask their names, but there were new people since June.

We disembarked the Maasdam yesterday and, once again, a lovely cruise.

We also enjoyed Canaletto and Pinnacle...especially the Pinnacle.

For those of you wondering about the Master Chef Dinner on the final night, it's totally different than it was last year.

A great menu...I had the baked brie and the grilled lamb chops...and flourless chocolate cake for dessert. DH had the Baked Alaska but rather than being served "en masse", it is now a very lovely individual baked alaska...and there is a "no sugar added" version as well. Napkin waving but that was all...none of the hoopla formerly associated with the Master Chef Dinner. A "regular" menu as well. The best thing is that it didn't drag on and on like it used to. So, a "thumb's up" there!

Thanks Aruba and Sheila.

I still booked our Pinnacle reservations for last night but maybe I'll reconsider. We refused to go to 'flying salad bowls' for years. If they've toned it to a normal dinner, we'd enjoy being with our dining team the last night.

Goren and Ana both run a fabulous Pinnacle IMO They're both great.

We ran into Goren on either Eurodam or Westerdam but happy to hear he's back on Maasdam.

That's what we've been told, too, by friends who have eaten at Canaletto- a typical Olive Garden at sea.

I think Olive Garden is superior. Ate there once on our Nieuw Amsterdam TA in October/November. Thought the food and service were pitiful. Thank goodness there's no extra charge.

The Pinnacle Grill is by far my favorite specialty restaurant. If I was a big spender, I'd eat there every night!:o:o

We'll be on a B2B2B on Maasdam this spring and will probably try Canelleto again, maybe on a night we aren't too thrilled with the MDR menu so instead of doing the "always available" selections we will go Italian.

We've only eaten in Canelleto once, on Amsterdam, and though it was only fair. The server serving the anitpasto didn't know what he had on the platter and we had to point to and ask for each slice of each offering, so around a table of 8 it took forever and then there was no time to get more of what we liked. The lasagna was overcooked mush and the veal was tough though both were tasty. The gelato was really regular ice cream and very diasappointing as we were expecting real gelato. Hopefully this was only that night?

But with so many positive comments here we'll try it again for variety. m--

Maasdam served the chocolate purse one night in the MDR. Best dessert I've ever had.:)

Isn't it! :D

I've got more than a few years under my belt, and I think that was the best dessert I have ever eaten. Ever!

I just hope the next one isn't a let-down. The memory should never be destroyed.

Do you think it is fully made by the Chefs on board? I sense not all the cakes and pies are baked from scratch in the galley. Maybe some are and some are not? I've never actually wanted to ASK a Chef. :o

Maasdam's Pinnacle is one the best we've dined in. We find it consistently good.

They do a great job.

Carol:

Is Ana there now or Goren?

Are you referring to Anca? I don't recall a PG Mgr. by the name of Ana but I could be mistaken.:confused:

Isn't it! :D

I've got more than a few years under my belt, and I think that was the best dessert I have ever eaten. Ever!

I just hope the next one isn't a let-down. The memory should never be destroyed.

That's so true, Ruth. The escargot this year on the Maasdam was a let down from all our past cruises.

However, the chocolate in fillo pastry was wonderful. I can't remember the correct name on the menu...but it was divine.

Are you referring to Anca? I don't recall a PG Mgr. by the name of Ana but I could be mistaken.:confused:

Yes, I am. Thank you.

Sailed at least 4 cruises with her and I kept making the same typo again and again. I'll beg her forgiveness. :o

Yes, I am. Thank you.

Sailed at least 4 cruises with her and I kept making the same typo again and again. I'll beg her forgiveness. :o

Anca left the Zuiderdam in early December to return home as she is now expecting her first child. We spoke with her recently and she is doing very well. Her husband who is still on board the Zuiderdam will be joining her in March.

However, the chocolate in fillo pastry was wonderful. I can't remember the correct name on the menu...but it was divine.

That's the chocolate purse, but it must be in Dutch on the menu.

I wouldn't have known what it was, and would have skipped it, had another person at the table not tried to pronounce it out loud. It was only then that I knew the word sounded like "chocolate", and I took another look at the description.

[/b]

That's so true, Ruth. The escargot this year on the Maasdam was a let down from all our past cruises.

Sheila, I forgot about the escargot. I look forward to them on every cruise. This time, they were just awful. They had some kind of a crust on them and there was no garlic in the butter. It was a real letdown.

I have always loved the escargot on HAL and usually make a piggy of myself by ordering two. On my last cruise in December on the Noordam, the escargot was awful. There was hardly any butter and it wasn't hot. I asked for another one, and it was just as bad. What a disappointment. :( The chocolate purse, however, was amazing. Actually, all the chocolate deserts were amazing. It is so nice to bite into a chocolate dessert and your taste buds explode by REAL chocolate. No wonder that in a recent poll, women said they preferred good chocolate to sex.:D

That's the chocolate purse, but it must be in Dutch on the menu.

I wouldn't have known what it was, and would have skipped it, had another person at the table not tried to pronounce it out loud. It was only then that I knew the word sounded like "chocolate", and I took another look at the description.

Ruth, how was it spelled on the menu? (Just so we don't miss it)

Shirley

Sheila, I forgot about the escargot. I look forward to them on every cruise. This time, they were just awful. They had some kind of a crust on them and there was no garlic in the butter. It was a real letdown.

Oh no!:eek: I hope it improves shortly - one thing I always enjoy on HAL:D

Archived