Maasdam questions

lawyerrose

Hi!

I've been studying the deck plans and reading all the stuff about the Maasdam (and trying to ignore the less-than-flattering reviews of her recently) and I'm a little confused. (That happens more than I'd like lately.:o)

Anyway, I get Explorer's Lounge and Exploration Cafe mixed up. Which is the one with the special coffee and pastries? Does the Maasdam have this?

Also, what is the Caneletto Restaurant. I noticed it's right by the Lido, but HAL's site doesn't tell what it is. Obviously a restaurant, but is it really separate from the Lido?

I'm waiting - impatiently - to see what we get assigned with a BB guarantee booking.

Thanks in advance for any clarifications y'all may offer. :D

Rose

Rose, the Explorations Cafe is where you find the special coffee drinks and it's on the Upper Promenade Deck on the Maasdam. Caneletto is the Italian themed specialty restaurant. It is open only for dinner and at no additional charge. It is tucked into one section of the Lido but separated by dividers.

Rose, the Explorations Cafe is where you find the special coffee drinks and it's on the Upper Promenade Deck on the Maasdam. Caneletto is the Italian themed specialty restaurant. It is open only for dinner and at no additional charge. It is tucked into one section of the Lido but separated by dividers.

Oh, that's great!! I'm so looking forward to cruising on this smaller ship!! I miss the little ships I used to cruise on, some were only around 16,000 tons!! Still, at 55k tons, Maasdam will seem small compared to the much larger ships I've traveled on recently.

The Explorations also has the Library and the Internet area located there. It is on the Port side on the Upper Promenade Deck.

The Canaletto is located on the Port side -- almost mid ship -- as you leave the Lido pool area. It is open only for dinner -- no extra charge. That area is also used for breakfast and lunch.

Canaletto Menu - free -- can not be booked until you are on the ship.

ANTIPASTI e ZUPE:

Our chef’s selection of antipasti, cucumber and olives

Insalata Canaletto – Seasonal greens and tomato, cucumber and olives

Minestrone – A flavorful tomato broth consisting of white beans, pasta shells, fresh vegetables and thyme

Zuppe Di Pesce – Assorted seafood simmered with vegetables, tomatoes, flat parsley and saffron

PASTA, CARNE, PESCE e POLLO

Penne Alla Vodka – A deliciously light combination of our Pomodoro sauce, cream and vodka

Linguini Frutti Di Mare – Linguini pasta and clams, mussels, shrimps and scallops tossed in garlic, onions and cherry tomatoes

Baked Meat Lasagna Pomodoro – Baked with meat and tomato sauce and gratinated with four cheese sauce.

Veal Milanese – Breaded veal scaloppini with porcini mushrooms, spaghetti and vegetables

Chicken Marsala

Cod Putanesca – Marinated in lemon, oregano and olive oil, quickly sautéed and coated with a flavorful herbed tomato concassee with kalamata olives, capers and chopped parsley, served with grilled cheese polenta and balsamic glace

Spaghetti with Meatballs – The classic way to eat spaghetti; home made meatballs braised in a tomato and meat sauce served over olive oil tossed spaghetti

DOLCI

Trio of Tiramisu – Italy’s most famous dessert: presented in three flavored variations, espresso, lemon and Amaretto

Limoncello Crème – Refreshing crème topped with Tuscan lemon liqueur

Mille-Feuille of Madagascar Chocolate – With walnut praline and ice-cream

Gelato – A refreshing and full-flavored selection: strawberry, mango, vanilla and lemon (different Gelato on the Nieuw Amsterdam - strawberry, pistachio, vanilla bean, Gianduia)

Suggested Cocktails:

Limoncello Cocktails -- $6.50

Limoncello Martini (Vodka & Limoncello)

Limoncello Cosmopolitan (Vodka, cranberry juice & Limoncello)

Limoncello Bellini (Peach Nector, sparkling wine & Limoncello)

Venetia (Liomoncello & Vodka & tonic water)

Limoncello Sunrise (limoncello & orange juice & granadine)

Limoncello Drop (Limoncello & Vodka & Midori)

Limoncello Cooler (Limoncello & cranberry juice

Wines listed below can be bought by the bottle ($22) or by the glass ($5) -- THESE PRICES AND CHOICES MAY CHANGE AT ANY TIME!!

Pinot Grigio Dalle Venezie IGT

Muller Thurgan Trentino DOC

Salentto Rose IGT

Primitivo Puglia IGY

Pinot Noir Pavia IGT

Nero D'Avola Merlot di Sicilia IGT

Montepulcian D'Abruzzo DOC

We read terrible things about the Maasdam before we took our first trip several years ago and our only problem was a few patches of badly mismatched carpet and a bizarre collection of competing decor themes in the show lounge. Recent dry dock has put this ship is top condition. We just spent 22 days on here and for the life of us do not know why there is this constant stream of complaints. Just the opposite for those who sail her and choose to sail her - she is a very well loved ship.

We read terrible things about the Maasdam before we took our first trip several years ago and our only problem was a few patches of badly mismatched carpet and a bizarre collection of competing decor themes in the show lounge. Recent dry dock has put this ship is top condition. We just spent 22 days on here and for the life of us do not know why there is this constant stream of complaints. Just the opposite for those who sail her and choose to sail her - she is a very well loved ship.

thanks SwissMyst - the op will be getting on as we get off :( Nice to hear your comments:)

It's no secret around here how many times we have sailed Maasdam.... I think it is now 33 cruises and we have made final payment for our next one on her. We also have a Collectors booked for our 'annual' Canada/New England b-to-b.

I think it safe to say we really love this ship and certainly would not sail her over 30 cruises if we weren't always happy aboard the beautiful Maasdam with her wonderful crew.

I am sure there are people who have more days sailed on her than us but doubt too many have sailed more times on Maasdam.

I was no fan of the Pinnacle restaurant until we enjoyed one of the best meals ever on our recent Maasdam crew. If you put a dinner or two here on the top of your to-do list on the Maasdam and you will be well-rewarded. Except you will miss the fun with your main dining room staff for those same night.

Hi!

...I've been studying the deck plans and reading all the stuff about the Maasdam (and trying to ignore the less-than-flattering reviews of her recently)...

You really can't judge by reviews. It was the Maasdam that sold us on HAL and we have sailed her since (over some negative comments) and she just hasn't lost her magic. Our bias is that we prefer the smaller ships, and our favourite is the Rotterdam, which we fell in love with because it was so like the Maasdam but with some different touches that we like a little better.

Others have answered your other questions. I just wanted to reassure you about your choice. We will be back on the Rotterdam in August (to beat the heat) on a cruise taking us above the Arctic Circle. How cool is that?:D

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Smooth sailing...

ANTIPASTI e ZUPE:

Minestrone – A flavorful tomato broth consisting of white beans, pasta shells, fresh vegetables and thyme

Zuppe Di Pesce – Assorted seafood simmered with vegetables, tomatoes, flat parsley and saffron

Penne Alla Vodka – A deliciously light combination of our Pomodoro sauce, cream and vodka

Linguini Frutti Di Mare – Linguini pasta and clams, mussels, shrimps and scallops tossed in garlic, onions and cherry tomatoes

Baked Meat Lasagna Pomodoro – Baked with meat and tomato sauce and gratinated with four cheese sauce.

Veal Milanese – Breaded veal scaloppini with porcini mushrooms, spaghetti and vegetables

Chicken Marsala

Cod Putanesca – Marinated in lemon, oregano and olive oil, quickly sautéed and coated with a flavorful herbed tomato concassee with kalamata olives, capers and chopped parsley, served with grilled cheese polenta and balsamic glace

Spaghetti with Meatballs – The classic way to eat spaghetti; home made meatballs braised in a tomato and meat sauce served over olive oil tossed spaghetti

DOLCI

Trio of Tiramisu – Italy’s most famous dessert: presented in three flavored variations, espresso, lemon and Amaretto

Gelato – A refreshing and full-flavored selection: strawberry, mango, vanilla and lemon (different Gelato on the Nieuw Amsterdam - strawberry, pistachio, vanilla bean, Gianduia)

Suggested Cocktails:

Wines listed below can be bought by the bottle ($22) or by the glass ($5) -- THESE PRICES AND CHOICES MAY CHANGE AT ANY TIME!!

Salentto Rose IGT

Primitivo Puglia IGY

Pinot Noir Pavia IGT

Wow! I'm drooling!! Thanks!

That's so reassuring! Thank you. I try not to take the negatives to heart, as oft times I disagree. I heard terrible things about the Costa Magica before I sailed her in 2006 and found that I loved the cruise. I particularly liked the food that many people were most upset about. Each to their own.

You really can't judge by reviews. It was the Maasdam that sold us on HAL and we have sailed her since (over some negative comments) and she just hasn't lost her magic. Our bias is that we prefer the smaller ships, and our favourite is the Rotterdam, which we fell in love with because it was so like the Maasdam but with some different touches that we like a little better.

Others have answered your other questions. I just wanted to reassure you about your choice. We will be back on the Rotterdam in August (to beat the heat) on a cruise taking us above the Arctic Circle. How cool is that?:D

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Smooth sailing...

What a GREAT way to beat the heat! :D Enjoy!!

We are big 'X' fans, but after our cruise on he Maasdam in '08, we booked our next cruise with HAL. This was after we spent the whole cruise in the Caribean, with out air. :eek: Loved the Maasdam!

ANTIPASTI e ZUPE:

Chicken Marsala

DOLCI

Suggested Cocktails:

Salentto Rose IGT

Primitivo Puglia IGY

Pinot Noir Pavia IGT

Is the food as great as the menu in this restaurant?

Having spent 91 days during the past 6 months on board Maasdam, I can assure you that the staff is top-notch and the ship is beautiful. Of course not every thing was perfect or as good as it ideally would have been but those were relatively minor and easily forgotten.

Different ships for different folks,different ships for different itineraries.Looking forward to our up coming Canada/New England cruise on the Maasdam.Our first HAL cruise was on The Amsterdam and we fell in love with HAL.Did the Westerdam last year Caribbean for Spring Break and loved that cruise as well.We can barely muster a 2 week vacation,so our time is so precious No time to nit pick on small imperfections.We are so very greatfull to be able to cruise and experience so many wonderful ports and enjoyable situations.

Just got off the Maasdam this morning. Caneletto is no Olive Garden. We ate there 3 times out of 14 days and the food and service were wonderful. The captain and his wife ate there on night while we were dining.I've only eaten in Olive Garden once, and there's no comparison. Also, the Pinnacle Grill was excellent.:)

Archived