Maasdam questions

lawyerrose

Ruth, how was it spelled on the menu? (Just so we don't miss it)

Shirley

I'm not Ruth but I'll try to help here...it didn't mention "chocolate purse" - I think it used the word purse in the description, however. So read the dessert menu carefully.

Oh...and we also had the watermelon pie! Very good.

I always order two escargot and a salad...and look forward to it the entire cruise. Each had a "crust" on top that was not even appealing to look at...never mind taste! In the past, the escargot has been consistently good with lots of garlic butter. Not quite sure how to describe it now!

I have always loved the escargot on HAL and usually make a piggy of myself by ordering two. On my last cruise in December on the Noordam, the escargot was awful. There was hardly any butter and it wasn't hot. I asked for another one, and it was just as bad. What a disappointment. :(

I had the same experience with the escargot on Maasdam -- at the time, I thought I just got a bad one which is bound to happen occasionally. Now I'm wondering if they've changed the recipe ... or cut corners so much in the preparation that the dish is no longer as special as it once was.

Ruth, how was it spelled on the menu? (Just so we don't miss it)

Shirley

I wish I knew so I would know what to look for next time.

Sheila is right that the word "purse" does appear in the description. I think the word for "chocolate" starts with an "S", and there's a couple of "K"s in it. If you pronounce it, the word does sound remarkably like "chocolate".

It was then that I read the description more closely, and knew what it was---having read about it here on CC. :D

I know that isn't much help :o, but does give you a couple of clues to go on. Hope it's enough.

[/b]

That's so true, Ruth. The escargot this year on the Maasdam was a let down from all our past cruises.

However, the chocolate in fillo pastry was wonderful. I can't remember the correct name on the menu...but it was divine.

Sheila, do you remember which night that chocolate dessert was served? I don't remember seeing it. Everything we had was quite good on Maasdam.

I'm not Ruth but I'll try to help here...it didn't mention "chocolate purse" - I think it used the word purse in the description, however. So read the dessert menu carefully.

Oh...and we also had the watermelon pie! Very good.

I always order two escargot and a salad...and look forward to it the entire cruise. Each had a "crust" on top that was not even appealing to look at...never mind taste! In the past, the escargot has been consistently good with lots of garlic butter. Not quite sure how to describe it now!

HAL has served escargot that many people have enjoyed for years.

Why did they suddenly change the recipe? Was it still served in the typical escargot six cup dish? I wonder why they would take a favorite and lessen it thereby disappointing guests who look forward to enjoying it?

I don't eat butter so never have it anymore but am disappointed for those of you who 'used to' enjoy HAL's escargot. I hate to hear 'needless' disappointments of this wort.

HAL has served escargot that many people have enjoyed for years.

Why did they suddenly change the recipe? Was it still served in the typical escargot six cup dish? I wonder why they would take a favorite and lessen it thereby disappointing guests who look forward to enjoying it?

I don't eat butter so never have it anymore but am disappointed for those of you who 'used to' enjoy HAL's escargot. I hate to hear 'needless' disappointments of this wort.

Yes, Judy, it's still served in the same dish, and I can't understand why they would change it.

Cruising Judy, I think it was served near the very end of the cruise. Maybe even on the formal night. There was some confusion because there was another chocolate dessert on the menu the same night and they were written one under the other.

A note about the front desk. While not immediately responsive to some requests, after a few tries they were great. We had requested luggage direct for two bags. Mine was accepted by Jet Blue and DH's wasn't. Asside from it meaning we would have to disembark the ship separately, DH didn't want to have to take one suitcase. When we first requested they call Jet Blue, they said no. DH asked to speak to the front desk manager, and it was taken care of.

Cruising Judy, I think it was served near the very end of the cruise. Maybe even on the formal night. There was some confusion because there was another chocolate dessert on the menu the same night and they were written one under the other.

Thanks, that explains why I didn't see it. We went to Pinnacle the last formal night.

Regarding the escargot changes, HAL has all these new chefs and culinary teams which may mean new recipes. However, I think they should stick with tried and true recipes esp.escargot . I don't care for it but DH does but no longer orders it in its new rendition.

... HAL has all these new chefs and culinary teams which may mean new recipes. ....

Yes, I noticed last time on Eurodam that one of my favorites, osso bucco, had had some changes made to the sauce.

(BTW, if you are interested, the 6 Feb Maasdam roll call has become a bit more active, and we have a meet and greet scheduled if you would like to join).

Dave

Has anyone sailed in Cabin 647? That's what we have booked right now for the Voyage of the Vikings in July, but I'm a little concerned because it seems to be right in an open area of the hallway, that it will be noisy and trafficky. Anyone have experience with that cabin?

On the Noordam last December, it was served late in the cruise also. There was another chocolate dessert that night besides the chocolate purse but I cannot remember its name. I do, however, remember ordering both and they were out of this world. I really wanted to order one more, but I thought that others would think I was a glutton. Next time, if these two desserts are offered again, I will order another set and have it in my cabin as a midnight snack.:D

Regarding the escargot changes, HAL has all these new chefs and culinary teams which may mean new recipes. However, I think they should stick with tried and true recipes esp.escargot . I don't care for it but DH does but no longer orders it in its new rendition.

I agree -- we were disappointed with the Noordam's food -- too many changes.

DH is not a fussy eater -- but he didn't care for the food.

We found the dishes/menu/preparation we experienced on Nieuw Amsterdam to be very different than we've had in any HAL Main Dining Room. This was two weeks sailing over this past Thanksgiving.

Archived