Door signs?

LizCatMom

I just finished mine and sadly am charging the camera for the upcoming cruise so I can't take a picture.

Basically it's "Stan loves(hearts actually) Sue"....different stickers and it's titled "Cancer Sucks Cruise"

At the bottom it says "Stan beat Cancer Cruise".

On our 20th anniversay cruise I had our wedding picture, date and various stickers of our interest. Lots of people stuck sticky notes on that one wishing us a happy anniversay!

$5 or less invested in each one.

Have fun with it!

I was thinking of doing this also. We are curising with almost 40 people for our vow renewal. I will be putting a link on our wedding site to encourage others to do so, but of course leave it up to them. I fear our cabins will be spread all over the ship and it would be nice for those traveling with us to be able to just look down the hall and find our room. Also It will make the rooms of those in our party stick out for the younger ones that I have a scavenger hunt planned for. I figured it would be a great way to familiarize them with the ship.

Find Nana's room

Find The Arcade

ect.

I will make a simple door sign - mostly because it will help us and our kids find our room easily and save us the embarrassment of knocking on a door that is not ours!

I had just planned a paper sign and tape it on the door, nothing fancy, tho I admire that craftier folks are creative with this.

Little interest in the fray, but I will add that I travel often for work and have many times been to hotels with reunions or groups travelling that have marked their doors. In hotel rooms. On land. :eek: It didn't diminish my travel experience any.

Vacations, and life, are what you make of it. If you want to be happy, you will be. If you want to be miserable, you will be. I will be happy!:)

Here is how our cabin door decorations turned out. Since we had the cabin that you could see from the elevator hallway, lots and lots of people saw it. And lots and lots of people thanked me for helping them remember which hallway to go down to find their cabin!

Warning ..... if you are a 'door snob' close your eyes!! LOL!

DSCN0120.jpg

What did you use to hold them up? I'm looking for some ideas. I've heard about the metalic tape and possible some artists putty I think it's called? Just want to make sure that no permenant damage is done.

Question... Are all cabin doors magnetic? So if I get a car magnetic type sticker it will stick ???

Bethann

No. While some ships have metal doors, not all do. I know that HAL doesn't have metal doors (at least on the Zuiderdam). On DCL (except for concierge on the Dream) the doors are metal.

:)

Hi Everyone!

I saw a post somewhere on this website about a woman that made a honeymoon sign and attached a pen/marker to it and had people sign thier honeymoon door sign. I love the idea, but I can't find the thread. Has anyone else seen it or know where I might be able to find it? I can't relocate it.

Does anyone else have any ideas for honeymoon signs??? :D

Thanks everyone!

Hi Everyone!

I saw a post somewhere on this website about a woman that made a honeymoon sign and attached a pen/marker to it and had people sign thier honeymoon door sign. I love the idea, but I can't find the thread. Has anyone else seen it or know where I might be able to find it? I can't relocate it.

Does anyone else have any ideas for honeymoon signs??? :D

Thanks everyone!

Would they let you cover the door w white butcher paper and put a Sharpie on a string so people could sign it as they walk by? That could be fun...

-KD

I'm really flattered that my Tiger Rag door was pictured earlier in the thread! :)

We chose to decorate our door for fun - if it was something to worry about, we wouldn't have done it. My sister and I said that if we won the ACC Championship, then we'd decorate our door - "All-In" purple and orange!

I used drafting tape because I'm a nerdy architect student. Painter's tape would also work and not mess up the door.

As for all of the "grumpies" that said people do not decorate their hotel doors - I have to disagree. My sister works for the Miss South Carolina Organization, and the week of the pageant, all of the contestants decorate their hotel room doors so that they can easily find eachother. I've also seen wedding parties and guests decorate their hotel doors, church groups, parties, etc. And like someone mentioned earlier, so many people decorate their hotel doors and windows at Disney World, especially at the value resorts! I actually have a "DIS-ign" thread on the DISboards where I take requests for doorsigns that I create digitally, free of charge, to add a little bit of magic to people's Disney vacations.

As for writing messages to one another, I've seen these cute dry-erase message boards for a Disney Cruise wedding -

CraftStuff-markerboards-web.jpg

You can only use magnets as tape can ruin the door. I think most people just print a photo of the ship from the computer and do their own artistic additions. Be careful about putting last names on the outer door. Security wise, it's probably not a good idea.

That is real!

• 4 weeks later...
What did you use to hold them up? I'm looking for some ideas. I've heard about the metalic tape and possible some artists putty I think it's called? Just want to make sure that no permenant damage is done.

I used a product called Scotch 3M Removable Clear Mounting Squares. They are these small clear squares that are double sided tape. They peel off very easily - sort of like a jelly square. I got the smallest ones that come 35 to a package.

To the bolded....clearly you've not been to Disney recently. No, not everyone does it, but it's just a fun little way to personalize your "home away from home."

I've stayed in the Grand California Hotel at Disneyland quite a few times. Never seen a decorated door - unless it was a prepaid package deal from the hotel itself. Happy Birthday type signs, which the cruise line will also provide. I have never seen a personally made door sign at the hotel.

Our last two cruises were during the holidays and many people did decorate their doors, especially with wreathes, bows, signs. I just had a little sign but it should made it easier to pick out our door.

I just wouldn't put anything that you can stand to lose, just in case any of your fellow passengers take too much of a liking to your decoration.

OP...

Ignore all the grumpies!

Here are some photos of not just door "signs" but actual decorations. I found these photos on various threads using the search feature. Whether you make a simple sign or go all out with decorations, use your imagination and have fun with it,

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/44994/2456217710103584906S600x600Q85.jpg

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=213266&d=1322058194

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=213265&d=1322057575

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/402784_10151137240175013_569450012_22154752_1122856359_n.jpg

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m500/stu03016/DSC01280.jpg

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m500/stu03016/DSC01280.jpg

Just started to read this thread because I too like to decorate my door! Matter of fact, mine is the first one in the links.:D

Decorating the door is a personal decision and as I can tell from some of the posts to the question there are those that do not care for it. But those folks must also recognize there are those that do. My "decoration" was a compilation of stock shots from the internet and my own photos that a dear friend and I worked on. When we were done, he printed it on banner material for me. As far as hanging it on doors - no magnets or tape was necessary, just some sticky tac that can be found at carft stores and the like. The clean up is effortless. You just pick the bits of the stuff off the door and you are done.

So if you wish to decorate, do so... just clean up before you leave the ship and have a great cruise!

Hi,

Does anyone know if NCL has metal doors?

I love this idea. We're going on our first cruise and it would be much easier for our kids to find the room.

Thanks,

I'd like to know about NCL too!

The Norwegian SUN does have metal doors, you should post your query on the Norwegian boards, because you'll get more specific information on each ship over there.