Costa Concordia SINKING!

cruiserfanfromct

This thread (where everyone is talking about what was said, or heard, or reported) reminds me of a game we did as kids. I cannot remember the name of it, but we would all sit in a circle and whisper into the ear of the kid next to you. For example, the first kid would say "Peaches & Cream," and by the end of the circle, the words would be changed (lost in translation as the words were passed on) to "Apples & Oranges." :D

why are you trying to cast doubt on their actions?

I was casting doubt on the media, which you should know if you actually read my postings.

But I won't bother you further with unwelcome postings about the media's inaccuracies or keeping an open mind.

Have fun!

Cruiser NC has summarised the events. :D I don't think it is terribly relevant whether the captain was having an affair or not, but what is relevant is how he did his job that night, including his behaviour after the collision. He was still in charge and responsible for everyone on the ship. He failed in his job.:(

Your memory has not failed you. I was (and remain) one of those who think there is probable cause to believe that Captain "The Coward" Shettino and Domnica "The Inamorta" Cermortan were a coo-some two-some and it had a causal connection between the accident and/or the Captain's failure to carry out his duties for the safey of the passengers.

John

Just wondering............did she "trip & fall" into the same lifeboat as the captain, or did he leave her onboard to sink or swim?????

Just wondering............did she "trip & fall" into the same lifeboat as the captain, or did he leave her onboard to sink or swim?????

I expect the complete facts will come out in the upcoming trial and court documents.

However my initial take based on the information that we have right now is as follows: It is likely that both Captain Schettino and his female roommate, the dancer, left on the first lifeboat to leave the ship. According to multiple witness accounts including those from French passengers, the Captain was seen from the ship in Lifeboat #3 which was used as the captain's launch on the Concordia. He was already changed into street clothes and partially covered by a blanket in the lifeboat.

We will see if the above perspective holds up as further information comes out.

I haven't seen anything definitively published on whether Domnica was in the Captain's private launch or a life boat. So, I can't comment.

This thread (where everyone is talking about what was said, or heard, or reported) reminds me of a game we did as kids. I cannot remember the name of it, but we would all sit in a circle and whisper into the ear of the kid next to you. For example, the first kid would say "Peaches & Cream," and by the end of the circle, the words would be changed (lost in translation as the words were passed on) to "Apples & Oranges." :D

Indycal, I think that game was called telephone.

Cruiser NC has summarised the events. :D I don't think it is terribly relevant whether the captain was having an affair or not, but what is relevant is how he did his job that night, including his behaviour after the collision. He was still in charge and responsible for everyone on the ship. He failed in his job.:(

The captain's private behavior, like anyone else's, is nobody's business as long as it remains private.

Unfortunately for the captain, running a ship into an island and killing about 30 people is a highly public act.

An analogy: it is nobody's business if you are having an affair with a certain person. However, if that person is sitting in your lap while you are driving, and you have an accident, your private behavior becomes public. The affair is not directly linked to the accident, but it causes the behavior that causes the accident, so the accident cannot be understood without understanding the affair.

This being said, I am not making any factual statement as to what the captain did or did not do, or with whom. But the pattern of behavior which has been alleged so far is so consistently rotten that it seems likely that any inquiry into any aspect of the captain's life has a fair likelihood of turning up the same type of self-absorption, deception, self-pity and recklessness. Not saying it's a fact, but if I were a betting person I know where I'd put my money. On any wager involving the captain's morality I take the "under".

The captain's private behavior, like anyone else's, is nobody's business as long as it remains private.

Unfortunately for the captain, running a ship into an island and killing about 30 people is a highly public act.

An analogy: it is nobody's business if you are having an affair with a certain person. However, if that person is sitting in your lap while you are driving, and you have an accident, your private behavior becomes public. The affair is not directly linked to the accident, but it causes the behavior that causes the accident, so the accident cannot be understood without understanding the affair.

This being said, I am not making any factual statement as to what the captain did or did not do, or with whom. But the pattern of behavior which has been alleged so far is so consistently rotten that it seems likely that any inquiry into any aspect of the captain's life has a fair likelihood of turning up the same type of self-absorption, deception, self-pity and recklessness. Not saying it's a fact, but if I were a betting person I know where I'd put my money. On any wager involving the captain's morality I take the "under".

Well summarised LG; just don't get distracted from the job in hand, especially if lives may be placed at risk!

I am surprised that none of us have wondered or mentioned here why there is a Life Raft docked at Port Giglio:confused:

It appears that it might have come off the Concordia, but not sure.

I thought all of the Life Boats and Life Rafts had been taken away a week or more ago.

This one appeared late yesterday afternoon and is still there on the right habd side where the divers boats are docked. http://www.giglionews.it/2010022440922/webcam/isola-del-giglio/webcam-giglio-porto.html

Joanie

Thanks for the link. Maybe that's Life Boat #3 being held as evidence. :confused:

I am surprised that none of us have wondered or mentioned here why there is a Life Raft docked at Port Giglio:confused:

It appears that it might have come off the Concordia, but not sure.

I thought all of the Life Boats and Life Rafts had been taken away a week or more ago.

This one appeared late yesterday afternoon and is still there on the right habd side where the divers boats are docked. http://www.giglionews.it/2010022440922/webcam/isola-del-giglio/webcam-giglio-porto.html

Joanie

Thanks for the link. Maybe that's Life Boat #3 being held as evidence. :confused:

Actually the Captain's Lifeboat is usually a smaller version of a regular Life Boat and not a life raft...

I found a photo of what I believe is the Captain's Life boat on the ship. If you click on the photo it will take you to a full sized photo. The very 1st Life boat is different (smaller) than all the others and I think it is his.

Concordia_060816-036.jpg

Joanie

Its just that Millandra is finding it so hard to come to terms that 'distraction', especially that distraction of Miss Moldovia's pervasive presence, might be a large factor in explaining the bizarre conduct of her 'noble' captain on the fateful night!
Have you ever made use of your Ignore List on this forum?

It saves much aggravation!

Go to User CP at top left and then, under Settings & Options, you'll see Edit Ignore List

-a very handy user control panel: thank you Cruisecritic! ;)

So his lifeboat was on the starboard side? Many lifeboats on that side weren't able to launch after the ship listed more than 20 degrees. If so, then that is consistent with the reports stating the captain was among the first to abandon ship. :eek: Not looking good for him.

Actually the Captain's Lifeboat is usually a smaller version of a regular Life Boat and not a life raft...

I found a photo of what I believe is the Captain's Life boat on the ship. If you click on the photo it will take you to a full sized photo. The very 1st Life boat is different (smaller) than all the others and I think it is his.

Concordia_060816-036.jpg

Joanie

So his lifeboat was on the starboard side? Many lifeboats on that side weren't able to launch after the ship listed more than 20 degrees. If so, then that is consistent with the reports stating the captain was among the first to abandon ship. :eek: Not looking good for him.

All vessels are required to have a designated "fast rescue boat" which can be any sort of boat that can be launched quickly and has a designated trained crew to operate it. It is to be used for such things as picking up a man overboard, transfering a person to another ship, or even as a pilot boat. Cruise liner lifeboats are too large to be practical for this purpose.

What happened to the designated fast rescue boat on the Concordia? Was it able to launch? Did the captain take it or did he "fall" into a normal lifeboat? :confused:

All vessels are required to have a designated "fast rescue boat" which can be any sort of boat that can be launched quickly and has a designated trained crew to operate it. It is to be used for such things as picking up a man overboard, transfering a person to another ship, or even as a pilot boat. Cruise liner lifeboats are too large to be practical for this purpose.

Thanks for that helpful information, Aplmac...so now I've been able to add you to my ignore list. What amuses me is that, of course, you won't know that because this post will not appear in your listing. Oh, what we fun we have!

Two things really amuse me. One is reading posts from contributors who are so eager to censor, ban, prohibit or delete any post of which they deem to disapprove.... whilst, of course, retaining their own right to post whatever they like! The other thing I really enjoy is reading the confused logic that some posters apply to their reasoning.

I'm still waiting for Millandra to explain how/why it would be a logical consequence that if Captain Schettino allowed himself to be distracted by the presence of Miss Modovia when he should have been concentrating on steering his ship, then no attractive lady can ever be safe from the attentions of a male working companion. It takes some mighty convoluted reasoning to make that connection!

The captain (any captain) can do whatsoever he pleases with his friends when he is on his own time. But when he is playing Thread The Needle with 4200 people's lives, he needs to leave his friends somewhere other than the bridge. The captain's friends (this captain) not only may have diverted his attention from the actual maneuver but also the management of the ensuing emergency. :mad:

Captainmcd - I noticed that you graduated from the US Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point. I grew up in Kings Point and our house had waterfront property between the shoreline of the academy and the pier at nearby Steppingtone Park. At that time, they allowed the kids in the neighborhood to use the academy's recreational facilities so I frequently played tennis at the academy's tennis courts.

Concordia_060816-036.jpg

Joanie

Do you realize you are looking a picture of the port side of the ship, not the starboard side?

Archived