power adapters

dazadelaide

Hi all,

Wife and I are going on the Zandaam in April and I would like to Know what type of power outlet is in use on this ship.

We always take a power board to keep electrical items charged but unsure as to what will be needed on this trip.

Thanks

Daz

Hi all,

Wife and I are going on the Zandaam in April and I would like to Know what type of power outlet is in use on this ship.

We always take a power board to keep electrical items charged but unsure as to what will be needed on this trip.

Thanks

Daz

Power board! Well, that's a term that I have never heard before! I have heard "bar" & "strip" though! ;) And yes, do take your power "board"! :)

Hi all,

Thanks

Daz

We never take one. the ships kind of discourage it and have some you can use. In any case they are standard US electrical outlets. On most ships I have been on, they have the European outlets as well. Even though we take a net book, cameras, etc., we've never needed one.

the only time I did I just took one of those surge protector plug ins (with 5 outlets that plug into the wall). The ship doesn't seem to mind those :)

dazadelaide, I'm guessing your question has do do with the voltage, which is 110, and the style of plug, flat two prong American. I've only lived in Europe and US, so I'm not aquainted with the plug style down under, but it wouldn't hurt to have a travel kit with transformer and mutiple adapters for your appliances. I hope that answers your question.;)

The European outlets are 220V and require the round plug adapters that are available at many luggage stores. Most computers and battery charges are dual voltage (look on the device and it will say from 110 - 240 if dual voltage) and do not need transformers, just the adapters. Using the 220V outlet will save you another 110V outlet for something else.

CAUTION: If you plug in a 110V item that is not dual voltage using an adapter, you will fry the device. Always check the device before you adapt and plug it into the outlet.

The cruise lines discourage surge protectors because their voltage is not well regulated. Power strips are fine and do come in handy when you have a lot of cameras with different chargers, IPads, two-person radios, cell phones, and computers.

Here are a couple of photos of the Electrical outlets on HAL ships. Click on each photo to see full sized.

In the stateroom itself

sm-Eurodam-Plugs_jtl513.jpg--sm-Eurodam-Plugs-2_jtl513.jpg

In the Bathroom BUT only useable for Razors and NOTHING else!!

sm-6164_IRL_Joanie-49.jpg--sm-6164_IRL_Joanie-48.jpg

Hope these help

Joanie

sm-Eurodam-Plugs_jtl513.jpg--

This is the type you will have on the Zaandam, with the left being 220v and the right 115v. The two dual outlet configuration shown in the other picture is only on the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam.

As to power strips, Know Before You Go says:

If more outlet space is necessary, only Holland America Line provided power bars are to be used. Please contact the Front Office for more information.

There will a refundable $25 deposit.

Not quite "nothing else". It's perfectly permissible to plug in an electric toothbrush.

Assuming you can reach that high, and it has somewhere to set, that is. :rolleyes:

Here are a couple of photos of the Electrical outlets on HAL ships. Click on each photo to see full sized.

In the stateroom itself

sm-Eurodam-Plugs_jtl513.jpg--sm-Eurodam-Plugs-2_jtl513.jpg

sm-6164_IRL_Joanie-49.jpg--sm-6164_IRL_Joanie-48.jpg

Hope these help

Joanie

I need to do a google search. I think someone mentioned a Belkin product that was an adapter plus usb plug.

Ellen

As to power strips, Know Before You Go says:

If more outlet space is necessary, only Holland America Line provided power bars are to be used. Please contact the Front Office for more information.

[/size]There will a refundable $25 deposit.

Can you preorder them before the cruise?

Power board! Well, that's a term that I have never heard before! I have heard "bar" & "strip" though! ;) And yes, do take your power "board"! :)

There's a big world out there, and they don't all speak North American.;)

There's a big world out there, and they don't all speak North American.;)

Yes startwin you are correct.

In Australia they are known and sold as power "boards"

The photos are just what I needed.

We have plenty of types of adaptors from many trips so just needed to know what types are used on Zandaam.

As we will be on the Zandaam for 22 days I think we may need to charge up a few batteries etc.

thanks

Daz

We took a "powerstrip" with us so that we could plug in multiple Aussie items. I tend to favour European plug as it is practically the same voltage and you don't need to worry about your appliances. I even checked with the front desk about the powerstrip and it was fine (took a brand new one). If you you are renting a fridge for your cabin they all seem to use the European point.

We took a "powerstrip" with us so that we could plug in multiple Aussie items. I tend to favour European plug as it is practically the same voltage and you don't need to worry about your appliances. I even checked with the front desk about the powerstrip and it was fine (took a brand new one). If you you are renting a fridge for your cabin they all seem to use the European point.

The fridge I rented last fall on the Maasdam used the American port (two flat prongs and the third round grounding prong). Fortunately, I brought a power strip to use for it, as they had placed the fridge in the knee-hole under the desk, and I wanted it at the foot of the twin bed on that side -- just over a couple of feet, but far enough that the refrigerator cord would not reach to the wall outlet.

Yes startwin you are correct.

In Australia they are known and sold as power "boards"

The photos are just what I needed.

We have plenty of types of adaptors from many trips so just needed to know what types are used on Zandaam.

As we will be on the Zandaam for 22 days I think we may need to charge up a few batteries etc.

thanks

Daz

I was on the Zaandam last year and took my surge-protected power strip which I use on every cruise. These days there are so many things that have to be plugged in to charge, one outlet in a cabin just doesn't cut it:D And then the steward brought a fan because it was too hot in our cabin, so there was another thing to plug in! And before anyone says you can only use Hal's extensions/surge protectors/power strips... I check it out every cruise with the front office and it's OK.

We always bring both a North American and a European power strip (with adapters) as there are so many things to plug in.

One thing that really helps is the iGo portable power supply I use for my PC - it comes with various plugs (I carry US, Euro and Car) and has a "vampire tap" which I can use to charge my phone, Kindle, DS, Ipod and more (with the right adapters) - it's a godsend!

Archived