Celebrity Solstice Storage (S-CLASS SHIPS)

Sloop-JohnB

Your measurements of the over-the-bed bins indicate that the cabinet is 44.5" wide. Is that the whole cabinet or is each half 44.5" wide? Are those interior measurements?

I just happened to see some fabulous collapsible bins today that would work perfectly if each side is 44.5" wide.

Hi Happy Cruiser 6143,

As I recall now (took those measurements very early in the cruise)... ALL my measurements were inside measurements as I was interested precisely in what was what when it came to storage space / openings.

And there were two lockers... side by side (see the photos) and my original notation...

--- --- ---

6- OVERBED STORAGE

There are two lockers above the bed… each of them are 44.5 Inches Wide X 12 Inches High X 11 Inches Deep (so combined they span the whole 89 Inches across the headboard)

COMMENTS

* This space although in a somewhat awkward spot did work out well for us. We put all our folded clothes up there… Tshirts, Polos, Golf Shirts, Shorts, etc. (and without any organization aids).

--- --- ---

BTW, look for upcoming post on those Packing Cubes... you mentioned elsewhere in this topic that you use them. I was considering buying some specifically for this trip and those Lockers, but was a bit put off by the cost of them (felt at the time that it was too much of an investment for something I might not use... get my value out of)... So curious to hear others points of view.

As for the Night Tables... the one with the phone was on my side of the bed, and by the end of the cruise, I had managed to cram that first shelf on it with... a full size BIG bottle of Evian Water (to the back), my eye-glasses, my teeny-tiny flashlight, and an ongoing collection of the bedtime chocolates. So it can be done.

Silly me, I never thought to move the phone to another shelf... so a GOOD TIP that you shared !!

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Hi Happy Cruiser 6143,

As I recall now (took those measurements very early in the cruise)... ALL my measurements were inside measurements as I was interested precisely in what was what when it came to storage space / openings.

And there were two lockers... side by side (see the photos) and my original notation...

--- --- ---

6- OVERBED STORAGE

There are two lockers above the bed… each of them are 44.5 Inches Wide X 12 Inches High X 11 Inches Deep (so combined they span the whole 89 Inches across the headboard)

--- --- ---

BTW, look for upcoming post on those Packing Cubes... you mentioned elsewhere in this topic that you use them. I was considering buying some specifically for this trip and those Lockers, but was a bit put off by the cost of them (felt at the time that it was too much of an investment for something I might not use... get my value out of)... So curious to hear others points of view.

As for the Night Tables... the one with the phone was on my side of the bed, and by the end of the cruise, I had managed to cram that first shelf on it with... a full size BIG bottle of Evian Water (to the back), my eye-glasses, my teeny-tiny flashlight, and an ongoing collection of the bedtime chocolates. So it can be done.

Silly me, I never thought to move the phone to another shelf... so a GOOD TIP that you shared !!

Cheers!

Hmm. I could just have read your post completely. :D Just goes to show how we skim over things these days. Thanks for confirming that there are two.

Actually, I don't use the packing cubes, have also been put off by their cost and because I like to hang up all my clothes. So if you discover a fabulous price, let us in on the secret. The collapsible bins are another story, however. They're also useful at home.

Products will be the same, but I discovered to my surprise that body wash only comes with CC and above cabins. You will get bar soap, but I prefer body wash, so will bring my own for my next 1A cabin on the Eclipse.

Call me crazy...i used the shampoo as body wash on our recent solstice cruise...i dont like bar soap and we were in a standard balcony

E

Hmm. I could just have read your post completely. :D Just goes to show how we skim over things these days. Thanks for confirming that there are two.

Actually, I don't use the packing cubes, have also been put off by their cost and because I like to hang up all my clothes. So if you discover a fabulous price, let us in on the secret. The collapsible bins are another story, however. They're also useful at home.

Where does one purchase collaspable bins??

I believe the products are the same line and quality across all of the Celebrity ships, but I am not sure if you get ALL of the products or not. I was in an 1A last January and we didn't have the Q-tips and cotton balls, which I really missed...had to go out and buy some.

Maybe someone else will chime in about whether you get all four of the bottled products and the shower cap.

We were in an FV and had the qtips, etc. but no conditioner. I just asked the steward for some and he brought 4 bottles. So I am pretty sure if you want something that is not in your room, just ask and it will be delivered if at all possible.

I have fine, processed hair and at home I have to use good quality salon products or my hair is a tangled mess. I find that the products on Celebrity are good quality and I no longer bring my own shampoo and conditioner. The room stewards do a great job replenishing the products so that you never run out.

They also provide Q-tips and cotton balls (the Q-tips are in the centre of the cotton ball holder), so that is something else that you can leave at home.

Also, the hair dryer in AQ and CC is of reasonable power, and I no longer feel the need to bring my own.

451756430_fHPVC-L.jpg

We had these products in our recent CC cabin but will be sailing a standard A1 balcony on the next cruise. Are the products the same? (I know the robes and towels will be different)

Thanks

M

I believe the products are the same line and quality across all of the Celebrity ships, but I am not sure if you get ALL of the products or not. I was in an 1A last January and we didn't have the Q-tips and cotton balls, which I really missed...had to go out and buy some.

Maybe someone else will chime in about whether you get all four of the bottled products and the shower cap.

We were also Concierge Class...

Our products were the same as the ones pictured by ELENA7SEAS...

* Four Bottles (all Lemongrass scent) - Shampoo - Conditioner - Body Wash - Moisture Lotion

* One Bar of Body Soap (also Lemongrass scent) - bar was almost full-size

* One Shower Cap (I believe that was in the box pictured behind the bottles... NEVER opened it / NEVER used it)

* Cotton Balls & QTips (in the plastic Dispenser)

Everything was checked and replished as needed (ie we had a shampoo bottle in the shower, so a new one was put into the vacant spot on the vanity tray)

Not sure what the other Classes of Cabins get, but we thought our items quite nice

(I even brought home the "leftovers"... so I have something to remind me of our cruise, until we go again :))

And I AGREE that the hairdryer worked out fine.

As for the Robes & Linens...

The big thick robes were fine with us (know some folks trade them in with their Cabin Stewards / Butlers for the thinner versions).

And the towels were marvellous... ours were in good condition and HUGE... more like bath-sheets.

Bed Linens were also great... very silky. We slept like babies... bed was sometimes hard to get out of... we didn't want to leave (don't you all love a great bed on vacation)

Pillows on the bed were also fine... so we never had to ask to try out the "Pillow Menu"

Gosh, now that I am writing more about this cruise (sharing with everyone)... I am missing it a whole lot more than I did last week when I first got home.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Okay I have been on what 15, 16 cruises and now I find myself having to buy travel clothesline, magnetic hooks and maybe a night light for the cabin. What else? There is something wrong with this picture that I need to buy these things just to take a cruise on an S Class Ship. Just sayin........

Anne Maria

I agree, why do they scrimp on the little things that do make a difference.

You don't have to buy a night light the bathroom light goes "dim" and you can leave the door open, but being in an inside cabin it was pitch black when we shut off the lights... LOL so I had a small flashlight next to the bed....but the lights were within reach as well on the head board.... I use command strip hooks on the walls for hanging thing ( my small dress purses, wires for camera charger, light jackets,) I had 4 of the 3 lb ones on the wall they come right off when you leave. :D

We had chalk write on pages that I made on my cricut on our outside doors so we could leave messages to each other( 3 cabins 3 couples and 2 children) it worked out nice!

We were also Concierge Class...

Our products were the same as the ones pictured by ELENA7SEAS...

* Four Bottles (all Lemongrass scent) - Shampoo - Conditioner - Body Wash - Moisture Lotion

* One Bar of Body Soap (also Lemongrass scent) - bar was almost full-size

* One Shower Cap (I believe that was in the box pictured behind the bottles... NEVER opened it / NEVER used it)

* Cotton Balls & QTips (in the plastic Dispenser)

Everything was checked and replished as needed (ie we had a shampoo bottle in the shower, so a new one was put into the vacant spot on the vanity tray)

Not sure what the other Classes of Cabins get, but we thought our items quite nice

(I even brought home the "leftovers"... so I have something to remind me of our cruise, until we go again :))

And I AGREE that the hairdryer worked out fine.

As for the Robes & Linens...

The big thick robes were fine with us (know some folks trade them in with their Cabin Stewards / Butlers for the thinner versions).

And the towels were marvellous... ours were in good condition and HUGE... more like bath-sheets.

Bed Linens were also great... very silky. We slept like babies... bed was sometimes hard to get out of... we didn't want to leave (don't you all love a great bed on vacation)

Pillows on the bed were also fine... so we never had to ask to try out the "Pillow Menu"

Gosh, now that I am writing more about this cruise (sharing with everyone)... I am missing it a whole lot more than I did last week when I first got home.

Cheers!

We were inside cabin, we had all the shampoo,conditioner,body wash, lotions, and shower cap, and cotton balls and q tips and two medium size round cakes of soap hbs used one for bathing ( I brought my sample size liquid soap) and one for the sink for hand washing, I brought my own pillow as I have an issue with them lol....:D Our bed was very comfy and the sheet were lovely. We had a blanket (velux) we requested as well.

Elena -- thanks so much for the photos and information. We are on Silhouette on March 17th - first time on S-class and first time in Aqua class. It looks like I can leave most of the toiletries at home? They provide shampoo, conditioner, lotion and body wash? That is great news and saves a little room.

We are used to M-class ships, so storage on this ship may take a little organizing although it sounds like to can be done. I'm 5'4" so we'll see how the top shelf works.

My DH uses a CPAP machine -- hopefully there is enough room on the night stand to accomodate it? If not, what happens then?

Thanks again -- this is a wonderful thread filled with great information.

Take care,

Lucy

My Hubs uses a Cpap as well and it didn't fit on the night stand but he had it on the floor next to hm with no problem,they provided the distilled water ( his is humidified) and a long HD extention cord....

HTH :D

We were in an FV and had the qtips, etc. but no conditioner. I just asked the steward for some and he brought 4 bottles. So I am pretty sure if you want something that is not in your room, just ask and it will be delivered if at all possible.

Right. You got the conditioner because it was supposed to be in your room.

In our case, we were in a 1A cabin on the Eclipse. Believe me, I asked the steward right away for the body wash. It doesn't come with that class of cabin. Only CC and above.

I use a C-Pap machine, but don't use the water tank, so it fits easily on the night table. Look at this picture, between the bed and couch. I moved the phone out of the way.

2174371810096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

At night I run the brown extension cord (lying coiled on the couch) across the room to the outlets on the desk, by the sliding door. That way when SHE gets up in the night to visit the room, there is no cord for her to trip on.

2781736740096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

Getting back to the issue of the pull out section of the couch, if a couple such as us books a cabin that has the trundle pull out section and no mattress is needed, we get the extra storage area. Something else to think about when booking an S ship in the future, angles and trundles.:D

Edited by The Big Booper

TO THE BIG BOOPER,

Re - ANGLES AND TRUNDLES

We were in the Solstice # 1120 a cabin designated as 2 Pax... (NO Squares, Circles or Triangles or Adjoining Lines on the Deck Plan)

And as someone had posted this info about the "hidden storage" on a post prior to our cruise (could have been you)... I looked for it in our cabin.

Alas, it wasn't meant to be.

So it certainly isn't something that is available in all Cabins that are doubles... and perhaps not even on all the S-Ships.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I use a C-Pap machine, but don't use the water tank, so it fits easily on the night table. Look at this picture, between the bed and couch. I moved the phone out of the way.

2174371810096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

At night I run the brown extension cord (lying coiled on the couch) across the room to the outlets on the desk, by the sliding door. That way when SHE gets up in the night to visit the room, there is no cord for her to trip on.

2781736740096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

Getting back to the issue of the pull out section of the couch, if a couple such as us books a cabin that has the trundle pull out section and no mattress is needed, we get the extra storage area. Something else to think about when booking an S ship in the future, angles and trundles.:D

LOL. Maybe we should ask LibraryLady19 to add "Does the base of the sofa contain a pull-out drawer?" as a reportable item on her Solstice cabin sticky. I know there are some people who would be packing more if they knew they had all that extra storage :D.

Was the drawer empty when you arrived, or did you ask to have the mattress removed? If the latter, did the steward seem to mind the request?

Thanks for the information, by the way.

Thank you for the information on the CPAP machines. My DH does use the humidifier. Do we need to make arrangements, either through Celebrity or our TA, for the distilled water and extension cords?

Big Booper -- from your picture it looks like my DH's will fit on the night stand. I would be a little concerned about putting it on the floor -- not sure the hose would be long enough. What did you do with the phone?:D Unfortunately it looks like you sleep on MY side of the bed, so we usually put a bath mat over the extension cord so I don't trip over it:eek:

I think I'll take a look a the collaspable bins, we have a Target close by.

Have a great weekend.

Lucy

I agree, why do they scrimp on the little things that do make a difference.

You don't have to buy a night light the bathroom light goes "dim" and you can leave the door open, but being in an inside cabin it was pitch black when we shut off the lights... LOL so I had a small flashlight next to the bed....but the lights were within reach as well on the head board.... I use command strip hooks on the walls for hanging thing ( my small dress purses, wires for camera charger, light jackets,) I had 4 of the 3 lb ones on the wall they come right off when you leave. :D

We had chalk write on pages that I made on my cricut on our outside doors so we could leave messages to each other( 3 cabins 3 couples and 2 children) it worked out nice!

Thanks for the info, but how do we leave the bathroom door open at night when we are at sea? Won't it make noise and move back and forth?

The problem is I always have to get up around 2:30 AM to use the bathroom and I don't want to have to turn on the light to wake up my husband.

The past two cruises we were on, Summit and then Mercury before that, had a dim night light in the stateroom.

Next time Celebrity is designing a ship they need to ask me to be there. I won't even charge them for my time and ideas.

Anne Maria

Edited by CruisingChick

Thanks for the info, but how do we leave the bathroom door open at night when we are at sea? Won't it make noise and move back and forth?

The problem is I always have to get up around 2:30 AM to use the bathroom and I don't want to have to turn on the light to wake up my husband.

The past two cruises we were on, Summit and then Mercury before that, had a dim night light in the stateroom.

Next time Celebrity is designing a ship they need to ask me to be there. I won't even charge them for my time and ideas.

Anne Maria

We had no problems with leaving the bathroom door open a bit at night. Now if you're in rough seas, all bets are off!

Right. You got the conditioner because it was supposed to be in your room.

In our case, we were in a 1A cabin on the Eclipse. Believe me, I asked the steward right away for the body wash. It doesn't come with that class of cabin. Only CC and above.

How interesting--and stupid of Celebrity! If you knew they had it and you asked for it, they should have give it to you--it wasn't a bottle of Grey Goose after all!

Our room steward acted like I was making a special request for the conditioner and he was doing me a favor by providing it!! They have some crazy rules!

Lucy - I forgot to answer your question about the distilled water. I e-mailed Jennifer and she's ordering it as she has in the past. Just let her know.

One 2 cruises our cabin stewards taped down the extension cord so it was not lying loose. Let's see what happens this time around.

The CPAP will fit on the table and I think that's we'll put John near the sliding door. It looks as if our bed is by the balcony so that will work much better. Again, can't do anything until we board and see what's what.

If he has to sleep on the other side, so be it. It's the little things that we worry about that don't really matter. We'll make it work like we always do.

Thanks so much for the info and pictures. We're definitely going to have to downsize for this trip.

Those 5 women were nuts to limit the storage space. No ask a real, normal worman about what to do and she'll give you cubbies galore.:D

Pat

I didn't see this mentioned. There was a picture of the storage draws in the vanity of the Solstice and it had 5 drawers - 2 not as deep, and then 3 deeper.

On the Silhouette - there are only 3 very deep drawers in the vanity under the TV, which in my opinion even makes the storage space less. There is no shallow drawer to throw the junk stuff in. It is inconvenient to fill the 3 deep drawers with clothing since it is so deep and the vanity is curved, thus the drawers are curved. Definitely not a lot of storage for clothing that is folded on this ship. We ended up using the overhead bins for all the folded shirts and shorts, we each used one of the deep drawers for junk stuff, and the bottom drawer for all the bathing suits.

The life jackets are also stored under the bed in a cube, since there is no shelf in the closet, which is where they are on the other ships.

I do agree that the safe is a big improvement. On the Silhouette it is located above the fridge in the vanity area.

IOn the Silhouette - there are only 3 very deep drawers in the vanity under the TV, which in my opinion even makes the storage space less. There is no shallow drawer to throw the junk stuff in. It is inconvenient to fill the 3 deep drawers with clothing since it is so deep and the vanity is curved, thus the drawers are curved. Definitely not a lot of storage for clothing that is folded on this ship. We ended up using the overhead bins for all the folded shirts and shorts, we each used one of the deep drawers for junk stuff, and the bottom drawer for all the bathing suits.

The life jackets are also stored under the bed in a cube, since there is no shelf in the closet, which is where they are on the other ships.

Great! So there is even less storage on Silhouette?

I don't get why they would design their new ships to have cabins with little to no storage space. Mercury was the best. We sailed twice on her. The first time it was the 3 of us and we had plenty of room. The second time it was just DH and I and we had drawers that we did not use at all. Too bad they got rid of her. The M Class ships we basically had enough room for everything we needed. Sometimes on 14 night cruise we had to juggle a few things, but not much. I fear it's going to take me forever to unpack on this cruise because I won't know where to put things.

LOL. Maybe we should ask LibraryLady19 to add "Does the base of the sofa contain a pull-out drawer?" as a reportable item on her Solstice cabin sticky. I know there are some people who would be packing more if they knew they had all that extra storage :D.

Was the drawer empty when you arrived, or did you ask to have the mattress removed? If the latter, did the steward seem to mind the request?

Thanks for the information, by the way.

I didn't think to try the handle on the couch until the last full day at sea. I don't think anything was in that draw ever. We only had two people in the cabin.

Thank you for the information on the CPAP machines. My DH does use the humidifier. Do we need to make arrangements, either through Celebrity or our TA, for the distilled water and extension cords?

Big Booper -- from your picture it looks like my DH's will fit on the night stand. I would be a little concerned about putting it on the floor -- not sure the hose would be long enough. What did you do with the phone?:D Unfortunately it looks like you sleep on MY side of the bed, so we usually put a bath mat over the extension cord so I don't trip over it:eek:

I think I'll take a look a the collaspable bins, we have a Target close by.

Have a great weekend.

Lucy

I always sleep on the side away from the bathroom so that she doesn't trip over the wire at 3 AM. I think my machine, which is not big, fits on the night table along with the phone.