Celebrity Solstice Storage (S-CLASS SHIPS)

Sloop-JohnB

We have sailed on Zenith, Galaxy, Mercury (3 times) and all the M class ships. Never had a problem with storage or getting around in the cabin. On our recent Silhouette cruise we had our worst cabin ever. (AQ) Not enough storage, coffee table was a hazard in trying to get to the bathroom at night, and the narrowness of the cabin was claustrophobic.

We will not sail S class again.

How interesting--and stupid of Celebrity! If you knew they had it and you asked for it, they should have give it to you--it wasn't a bottle of Grey Goose after all!

Our room steward acted like I was making a special request for the conditioner and he was doing me a favor by providing it!! They have some crazy rules!

They do indeed have some crazy rules. But I don't let their crazy rules make me crazy. :D I just roll with it. When I next sail the Eclipse I'll bring my own body wash. Or live with bar soap for two weeks. Won't kill me. And I have figured out (with the help of my CC friends) how to improvise a foot stool on my very large balcony where the "rule" is--no footstool because I'm in the wrong class of cabin.

We have sailed on Zenith, Galaxy, Mercury (3 times) and all the M class ships. Never had a problem with storage or getting around in the cabin. On our recent Silhouette cruise we had our worst cabin ever. (AQ) Not enough storage, coffee table was a hazard in trying to get to the bathroom at night, and the narrowness of the cabin was claustrophobic.

We always ask the room steward to remove the table in front of the sofa. It's one of the first things we do. Really does open up the space.

And I have figured out (with the help of my CC friends) how to improvise a foot stool on my very large balcony where the "rule" is--no footstool because I'm in the wrong class of cabin.

So, I'm curious because I want a foot stool too!

Hi Crabby!

I agree, the cabins on the S class are a little strange. But the bathrooms are great. Guess you can't have everything!

First thing we did with that heavy table was to stick it out on our large balcony in the corner. That took care of that problem.

Given my druthers, I'd pick the M class every time. However, they've pulled the Connie from the two-week Caribbean cruises starting next year and I no longer do one-week cruises, so will have to adjust.

Happy sailing to you!

So, I'm curious because I want a foot stool too!

Several solutions have been suggested on other threads. Apparently there are inflatable footstools available. The one which appeals to me as it does not involve my bringing something along is to use the lifejacket basket (which will be found under the bed). Possibly with the life jackets still in it, will have to experiment with that.

Now obviously the simplest solution would be for Celebrity to provide those footstools on the larger balconies. Apparently they don't like simple. :D So we must resort to adaptive reuse of other items in the cabin.

And all this foolishness gives us something to talk about on these boards! :D

Several solutions have been suggested on other threads. Apparently there are inflatable footstools available. The one which appeals to me as it does not involve my bringing something along is to use the lifejacket basket (which will be found under the bed). Possibly with the life jackets still in it, will have to experiment with that.

Now obviously the simplest solution would be for Celebrity to provide those footstools on the larger balconies. Apparently they don't like simple. :D So we must resort to adaptive reuse of other items in the cabin.

And all this foolishness gives us something to talk about on these boards! :D

What really irks me is we had one of those big angled balconies, and I have that again in March. They really should have footstools. Never thought of using the cube from the life jackets.

Edited by ecslady

What really irks me is we had one of those big angled balconies, and I have that again in March. They really should have footstools. Never thought of using the cube from the life jackets.

Right. We always get one of those cabins as well. Love the big balcony!

However, I'm not going to let it ruin my cruise that Celebrity refuses to provide footstools on those balconies. It's kind of fun to think up creative workarounds.

• 4 weeks later...

Sloop-JohnB asked me to post these photos on this thread. Or, at least post one of them, but I'm not entirely sure which one (sorry!)

These are from the Equinox, AQ 1606.

Honeymoon005.jpg

Honeymoon008.jpg

Honeymoon012.jpg

For the last one: I don't remember if there were cubbys along the side, I don't think there was. But there was a small shelf on top of the rail. The size of the shelf pushed the rail down just enough that my long evening dress didn't hang properly.

For the above-bed storage, we didn't have a problem with the height, but I'm 5'7" and my husband is 6'2".

ETA: There was plenty of room under the bed for our suitcases. For reference, our suitcases are slightly too big to fit under our beds at home (and thus take up a terrible amount of precious closet space!)

Edited by kat228

The problem is I always have to get up around 2:30 AM to use the bathroom and I don't want to have to turn on the light to wake up my husband.

Anne Maria

I found that there was enough light coming in under the door from the outside hallway to be able to find my way to the bathroom -- we didn't leave the bathroom door open, but it was nice to have the dim light when inside! We were on the Solstice, had plenty of space for clothing (must not have packed as much as I thought). I only used the overhead storage for my tote bag but I like the idea of using the fabric storage bins to hold things that are put up there.

Hi, I put a pool towel on the waste basket when I am on the other class ships. Have not been on S class yet (Nov 2012), since the S class cabins are different, do they have moveable trash cans?

Another creative good idea! And, yes, there are wastebaskets which can be moved, although I'd suggest removing the plastic liner with its contents before inverting the wastebasket. :D

Sloop-JohnB asked me to post these photos on this thread. Or, at least post one of them, but I'm not entirely sure which one (sorry!)

These are from the Equinox, AQ 1606.

Honeymoon012.jpg

For the last one: I don't remember if there were cubbys along the side, I don't think there was. But there was a small shelf on top of the rail. The size of the shelf pushed the rail down just enough that my long evening dress didn't hang properly.

For the above-bed storage, we didn't have a problem with the height, but I'm 5'7" and my husband is 6'2".

ETA: There was plenty of room under the bed for our suitcases. For reference, our suitcases are slightly too big to fit under our beds at home (and thus take up a terrible amount of precious closet space!)

TO KAT228,

Thanks for the photos...

It was the LAST ONE (that I've copied again above) that I was in particular referring to... and am happy to see here in this topic, as it is by far the best example I've seen that shows the Bottom Flip-Down Clothes Rail within the Closet (although in this photo it is in the Up position).

Hi, I put a pool towel on the waste basket when I am on the other class ships. Have not been on S class yet (Nov 2012), since the S class cabins are different, do they have moveable trash cans?

Another creative good idea! And, yes, there are wastebaskets which can be moved, although I'd suggest removing the plastic liner with its contents before inverting the wastebasket. :D

TO SAMMIE1990,

Indeed the Waste Basket on the Solstice Ship we were on would have been a good alternative to a footrest... although not a very big one (can doesn't have a very large diameter)

As for HAPPY CRUISER 6143's comments about removing the plastic liner... funny we were quite taken back that there was no such liner in this "pail"... much like many Hotel Rooms we've enjoyed in the last year or so, this is something that was lacking. Pain in the butt sometimes if you have something messy to throw away... fortunately we always pack a lot of plastic grocery bags when we travel ... so we just lined it ourselves... wondering though if this is a "recent" cut-back.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

As for HAPPY CRUISER 6143's comments about removing the plastic liner... funny we were quite taken back that there was no such liner in this "pail"... much like many Hotel Rooms we've enjoyed in the last year or so, this is something that was lacking. Pain in the butt sometimes if you have something messy to throw away... fortunately we always pack a lot of plastic grocery bags when we travel ... so we just lined it ourselves... wondering though if this is a "recent" cut-back.

Cheers!

Wow, I would really have been surprised not to see a plastic liner in the wastebasket. Have never had that experience yet on Celebrity. Haven't seen it in any hotel or motel I've stayed in either. If I were the cleaning staff, I'd be REALLY unhappy about that!

We sailed in an inside Cabin on the Solstice on January 29. We loved the cruise, however, there is not enough storage space for clothes, shoes, etc. The storage areas over the bed are big, but inconvenient. There was a big area to one side of the bed that was empty. Drawers could be added to this space. The 3 narrow shelves that are in place of night tables are a joke. We did move the phone to the second shelf so that my husband could put his CPAP machine on the top shelf. Regarding a night light, we sleep with the television on all night, so there was no problem finding our way to the bathroom. We liked the nightlight feature of the bathroom light. I find it hard to believe that women designed the cabin with such minimal storage space (other than for toiletries in the bathroom).

Wow, I would really have been surprised not to see a plastic liner in the wastebasket. Have never had that experience yet on Celebrity. Haven't seen it in any hotel or motel I've stayed in either. If I were the cleaning staff, I'd be REALLY unhappy about that!

TO HAPPY CRUISER 6143,

Ya we weren't sure what to make of it in regards to the Ship (but as I say we've seen it before on land... even some high-end places)...

Lol, so we couldn't figure out if it was the norm (however I don't ever recall seeing anyone post about it previously)... OR if it was either an anomaly (lol, someone forgot to order enough for our sailing) OR just an oversight by our Room Steward (didn't really believe that because she was so thorough)... so in the end we thought perhaps a recent cut-back.

Will be curious to see if anyone else posts their experiences on this one.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Good find! I like that pricing a lot better. I've looked in dollar stores as well, but have never seen them.

I found the collapsable bins at Dollar Tree, in the laundry area. I think they come in about 6 different sizes.

• 10 months later...

By the way, regarding the trundle bed under the couch--we had one of these on the Eclipse on our Thanksgiving cruise. It does contain a mattress and the cabin steward refused to remove it. So, no joy on extra storage space. Now I must mention that he was not the world's greatest cabin steward and YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info on lack of storage.

What do collapsible storage bins look like? Are the similar to packing cubes?

Where do they fit in the cabin. Want to be prepared for my first ever X cruise on the Eclipse.

Take Care!

Roseann:)

Thanks for all the info on lack of storage.

What do collapsible storage bins look like? Are the similar to packing cubes?

Where do they fit in the cabin. Want to be prepared for my first ever X cruise on the Eclipse.

Take Care!

Roseann:)

They're on sale at Target this week

http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=fabric+drawers&category=0|All|matchallpartial|all+categories

HOWEVER - I am not so sure they're a good idea. If you fold all of your tops and put them in the over the bed storage you can see at a glance (even if you have to stand on the bed ;)) what you have.

If you put all of your tops in a storage cube you'll have to sort through the whole pile each time.

Plus there's the added weight (even if it's minimal ) of the cube itself in your luggage.

I actually find the small hanging space in the closet to be the biggest problem for us.

We're going to try the magnetic hooks for the wall for our next cruise.

Just my thoughts on this.........

closetMaid.jpg.b47967bf56004740fa74b7d75349fd96.jpg

Edited by chamima