Celebrity Solstice Storage (S-CLASS SHIPS)

Sloop-JohnB

My wife is 5'2" and I took this picture on the Silhouette to show the height issue of the over the bed storage areas.

2960202670096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

Your picture is a good visual of why I recommend collapsible bins for up there that you can pull down. Your wife would have been able to grab the handle, pull the bin down, get what she needed, and return the bin to the cupboard.

Hi Happy Cruiser 6143,

I am sooo glad that I could help you... as your info and generous attitude did so much to help me these last 7 months... right from that very first "Welcome" that you gave me when I found CC.

Lol...

Who knows I may have to call again on your "expertise" in the future ;)

Cheers!

This thread is a good example of Cruise Critic at its best. Detailed information, both written and visual, and people happy to share their experience with other cruisers. It's great!

When we were on the Solstice in June of 2010, we both felt that the balcony cabin was lacking in storage. So when we went on the Silhouette I wanted to carefully document the storage issues. That is why I took a closeup of the hooks in the shower enclosure. My wife had troubles reaching the overhead storage bins over the bed on both ships but by standing on the bed she could reach the inside of both bins.

There is another storage area in these cabins that nobody has ever talked about. On the Silhouette we discovered, on the last full day, that there was a wide pullout draw in the couch. We never opened it during the trip but as we were packing I decided to try pulling the handle figuring it was a bed. Instead it was this wide shallow usable storage area. I don't know if it is intended for storage of blanets or spreads but it was there the whole trip and we never thought to pull on the handle until that last sea day. The Silhouette has a different type of couch then the Solstice.

Silhouette couch - notice the handle on the lower section.

2713823330096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

I blew up the section with the handle after the fact while I was posting to Webshots at home, I didn't think to take a picture while we were on the ship and the couch draw was pulled out for 5 minutes.

2595908310096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

The Solstice couch is a different design -

2106546980096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

My wife is 5'2" and I took this picture on the Silhouette to show the height issue of the over the bed storage areas.

2960202670096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

To the best of my knowledge, the sofas on the Solstice (and the next two S-class ships, I think), are the same design as your sofa, but are covered in different fabric. The Solstice sofas are covered in a faux leather that, while very attractive, had almost no give, so they were singularly uncomfortable. I sailed on the Solstice in 2008 and again in summer 2011, and even after 3 years of wear, the upholstery had hardly "given" at all, and the sofa was still so uncomfortable that we only used it as a temporary depot for storing any packages we might have picked up until we could get them packed away. The fabric on the sofa in your cabin looks to be a velvet chenille, which is very hard-wearing, as well as comfortable. I'm betting this fabric is a big improvement in terms of comfort.

As to the drawers below the sofa, on all ships, they are available in some cabins, and not in others, depending on how many people the cabin is designed to sleep. Our AQ cabins did not have drawers in the sofa, as AQ cabins are only designed to accommodate two passengers. This was the same on the Solstice, and on the Eclipse. However, our two daughters and grandaughter were in an OV on the Solstice and it had a drawer built into the base of the sofa, as the cabin was designed to accommodate four.

I think that cabins that are designed for three do not have the drawer either, as the third person is set up on top of the sofa. (However, we have never been in a cabin that was designed just for three, so I could be wrong. The drawer is an expensive modification to the base of the sofa, so under normal circumstances, my guess is that it would not be specified for a cabin that would not sleep 4.) The cabin steward brings in a 3" mattress to put on top of the sofa, and the bed is made up on top of that.

In my daughters' OV that was designed for four, it was their choice to have my granddaughter set up on top of the sofa, as they didn't want to have the base drawer pulled out into the available floor space. My granddaughter was very comfortable on top of the sofa.

One thing that I have found to be very helpful when packing for Solstice ships is the use of "packing cubes".

They are perfect for packing your clothes because they stop the clothes from shifting and there are almost no wrinkles as a result (I fold my clothes very neatly when packing, to minimize any initial wrinkles, and use tissue between our dressy items). I don't remove the clothes from the cubes when I unpack, just put the cubes straight into the drawers or onto the shelves, and remove what I need from the cubes as I need it. (Bonus...my suitcase is unpacked in 2 minutes flat!) And the cubes stack really well, which is helpful in the closet, and I don't have to worry about anything "unseen" being left on the top closet shelf, as everything is packed inside the cube, which is easy to pull down. (They also protect your clothes from any dust, etc. that might be in or on hotel/cabin drawers and shelves.)

I am almost 5'2", and can only use the storage units above the bed if I have clothes in packing cubes, because then I can pull the cubes down and kind of "launch" them back up onto the shelf, without disturbing the clothes inside. These are also very handy if you choose to put your lifevests in the overbed storage and use the large baskets beneath the bed for clothes and shoe storage.

Mine, shown below, are made by HEYS Luggage, are very lightweight, come in great colours and are very inexpensive. Everyone in my family has their own set in their own colour, which helps to keep us organized. I also use their matching shoe bags, which are multifunctional.

i-shnzVxN-X2.jpg

TO CRUSING CHICK and CAYMAN COUPLE,

Somewhere in hardware... where the rest of the hooks are located (not far from those 3M Command Hooks & Hangers)

I looked on line at the WalMart Website and couldn't find the ones I bought...

Maybe I can make a trip over to the store this weekend, and take another look for you both... get the actual name of the product (they come in packaging).

Cheers!

Thank you so much, but please don't make a special trip just for hooks. That is so sweet of you.

Larry, thanks for the links to the Amazon web-site.

Unfortunately, I don't believe we have a couch. We are in an inside cabin on deck 8 and was told we have 2 chairs and a table.

Okay I have been on what 15, 16 cruises and now I find myself having to buy travel clothesline, magnetic hooks and maybe a night light for the cabin. What else? There is something wrong with this picture that I need to buy these things just to take a cruise on an S Class Ship. Just sayin........

Anne Maria

Edited by CruisingChick

Okay I have been on what 15, 16 cruises and now I find myself having to buy travel clothesline, magnetic hooks and maybe a night light for the cabin. What else? There is something wrong with this picture that I need to buy these things just to take a cruise on an S Class Ship. Just sayin........

Anne Maria

I agree, why do they scrimp on the little things that do make a difference.

Elena -- thanks so much for the photos and information. We are on Silhouette on March 17th - first time on S-class and first time in Aqua class. It looks like I can leave most of the toiletries at home? They provide shampoo, conditioner, lotion and body wash? That is great news and saves a little room.

We are used to M-class ships, so storage on this ship may take a little organizing although it sounds like to can be done. I'm 5'4" so we'll see how the top shelf works.

My DH uses a CPAP machine -- hopefully there is enough room on the night stand to accomodate it? If not, what happens then?

Thanks again -- this is a wonderful thread filled with great information.

Take care,

Lucy

I'm also a "shortie" and found cabinets over the beds too high for my use. I used the basket that the life jackets were in as storage for my clothes. We just took the life jackets out and left them loose under the bed. The basket held all of my daytime jerseys and tops and was easy to slide in and out from under the end of the bed when needed.

Garry

This thread is a good example of Cruise Critic at its best. Detailed information, both written and visual, and people happy to share their experience with other cruisers. It's great!

Agree strongly with the above point. It's really helpful to those planning their first Celebrity cruise. The visuals are very powerful and sometimes what people remember most. That's why this thing called television has done fairly well in our society. I like the Eyewitness and Insight travel books because of their great variety of good visuals. The old saying "A picture is worth a thousand words" incorporates the idea that a complex messages can be conveyed with just a single or a few still images. You could write and write, still not really sharing about the interior cabin options the way these photos do.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 61,072 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Thank you so much, but please don't make a special trip just for hooks. That is so sweet of you.

Larry, thanks for the links to the Amazon web-site.

Unfortunately, I don't believe we have a couch. We are in an inside cabin on deck 8 and was told we have 2 chairs and a table.

Anne Maria

No need for a night light on S class. There's one in the bathroom. If you want to have it in your cabin, just leave the bathroom door open.

Also, on our recent trip on the Connie, a night light had been added to the bathroom.

One thing that I have found to be very helpful when packing for Solstice ships is the use of "packing cubes".

They are perfect for packing your clothes because they stop the clothes from shifting and there are almost no wrinkles as a result (I fold my clothes very neatly when packing, to minimize any initial wrinkles, and use tissue between our dressy items). I don't remove the clothes from the cubes when I unpack, just put the cubes straight into the drawers or onto the shelves, and remove what I need from the cubes as I need it. (Bonus...my suitcase is unpacked in 2 minutes flat!) And the cubes stack really well, which is helpful in the closet, and I don't have to worry about anything "unseen" being left on the top closet shelf, as everything is packed inside the cube, which is easy to pull down. (They also protect your clothes from any dust, etc. that might be in or on hotel/cabin drawers and shelves.)

I am almost 5'2", and can only use the storage units above the bed if I have clothes in packing cubes, because then I can pull the cubes down and kind of "launch" them back up onto the shelf, without disturbing the clothes inside. These are also very handy if you choose to put your lifevests in the overbed storage and use the large baskets beneath the bed for clothes and shoe storage.

Mine, shown below, are made by HEYS Luggage, are very lightweight, come in great colours and are very inexpensive. Everyone in my family has their own set in their own colour, which helps to keep us organized. I also use their matching shoe bags, which are multifunctional.

i-shnzVxN-X2.jpg

I agree--packing cubes work very well in the overhead bins. My room mate on the Eclipse had her sweaters in packing cubes and kept them in the overbed storage area.

I'm also a "shortie" and found cabinets over the beds too high for my use. I used the basket that the life jackets were in as storage for my clothes. We just took the life jackets out and left them loose under the bed. The basket held all of my daytime jerseys and tops and was easy to slide in and out from under the end of the bed when needed.

Garry

Hi Garry!

But I'm going to be using the life jacket basket as a footrest (thanks to a great idea on another thread) on my large balcony which doesn't come with footrests!

Given the strange things we've found under the beds over the years, I don't think I'd be comfortable storing my clean clothes there. I've noticed when I pull my suitcases out, they are covered with fuzz and dust. Just a thought.

Elena -- thanks so much for the photos and information. We are on Silhouette on March 17th - first time on S-class and first time in Aqua class. It looks like I can leave most of the toiletries at home? They provide shampoo, conditioner, lotion and body wash? That is great news and saves a little room.

We are used to M-class ships, so storage on this ship may take a little organizing although it sounds like to can be done. I'm 5'4" so we'll see how the top shelf works.

My DH uses a CPAP machine -- hopefully there is enough room on the night stand to accomodate it? If not, what happens then?

Take care,

Lucy

I don't know how much room a CPAP machine requires, but this is what the night stand looks like. The two shelves are cantilevered, and are not rectangular--they narrow towards the front of the shelf. Certainly not one of my favourite design features in these cabins. Whether the room is set up with single beds or a queen bed, there just isn't enough room on the nightstand. I end up hanging my eyeglasses over the arm of the light fixture, and usually end up knocking my book to the floor, and forget about having a glass of water by the bed. I SO miss the bedside tables on the M-class ships! (Edited to add that I always seem to have the nightstand with the phone, which is why I never have any room :)).

451752482_5J4rv-L.jpg

451750726_SUome-XL.jpg

Edited by elena7seas

The two shelves are cantilevered, and are not rectangular--they narrow towards the front of the shelf. Certainly not one of my favourite design features in these cabins. Whether the room is set up with single beds or a queen bed, there just isn't enough room on the nightstand. I end up hanging my eyeglasses over the arm of the light fixture, and usually end up knocking my book to the floor, and forget about having a glass of water by the bed.

I absolutely have to have a glass of water by my bed. We relegated the phone to the second or bottom shelf to make the top shelf available for nighttime essentials. Not very convenient, but don't use the phone much. Pull it out and put it on the bed when we're using it.

Lots of things can be hooked on the light--I keep my sun visor there too.

I agree about the disfunctionality of those shelves masquerading as night tables. Their designer should be sentenced to the gulag with one beside his/her bed until realizing the error of his/her ways!!! :eek:

Take care,

Lucy

I have fine, processed hair and at home I have to use good quality salon products or my hair is a tangled mess. I find that the products on Celebrity are good quality and I no longer bring my own shampoo and conditioner. The room stewards do a great job replenishing the products so that you never run out.

They also provide Q-tips and cotton balls (the Q-tips are in the centre of the cotton ball holder), so that is something else that you can leave at home.

Also, the hair dryer in AQ and CC is of reasonable power, and I no longer feel the need to bring my own.

451756430_fHPVC-L.jpg

Your measurements of the over-the-bed bins indicate that the cabinet is 44.5" wide. Is that the whole cabinet or is each half 44.5" wide? Are those interior measurements?

I just happened to see some fabulous collapsible bins today that would work perfectly if each side is 44.5" wide.

If the measurement is 44.5", then that would have to be for each side. I don't know if that would be inside or outside.

451759377_QUHnn-L.jpg

I have fine, processed hair and at home I have to use good quality salon products or my hair is a tangled mess. I find that the products on Celebrity are good quality and I no longer bring my own shampoo and conditioner. The room stewards do a great job replenishing the products so that you never run out.

They also provide Q-tips and cotton balls (the Q-tips are in the centre of the cotton ball holder), so that is something else that you can leave at home.

Also, the hair dryer in AQ and CC is of reasonable power, and I no longer feel the need to bring my own.

451756430_fHPVC-L.jpg

We had these products in our recent CC cabin but will be sailing a standard A1 balcony on the next cruise. Are the products the same? (I know the robes and towels will be different)

Thanks

M

Hi Garry:D What a great idea, I'll have to look into that. Are you are a cruise soon (I know a silly question, right:D).

Thank you all for your information. I'm actually going to have my roll call come over here and read this thread. There are a lot of people new to the S-class ship on our sailing.

Elena -- I'm going to try and not worry about the CPAP machine. They will just have to figure something out. Also, it's nice to know about the hair products etc. Thanks again.

I always seem to get the phone as well, so that always takes up room.

Lucy

We had these products in our recent CC cabin but will be sailing a standard A1 balcony on the next cruise. Are the products the same? (I know the robes and towels will be different)

Thanks

M

Products will be the same, but I discovered to my surprise that body wash only comes with CC and above cabins. You will get bar soap, but I prefer body wash, so will bring my own for my next 1A cabin on the Eclipse.

To get the moderators' attention to a post you deem inappropriate, click on the red triangle to the right of that post number (in your case, #24). That will open up a window that sends a message to the moderator and you are asked to explain why you feel the post is inappropriate. They respond pretty fast to these.

Thank you Linda - I don't mind being quoted - but don't want additional statements ( that were not mine) added to the quote.

Thanks

M

Thanks

M

I believe the products are the same line and quality across all of the Celebrity ships, but I am not sure if you get ALL of the products or not. I was in an 1A last January and we didn't have the Q-tips and cotton balls, which I really missed...had to go out and buy some.

Maybe someone else will chime in about whether you get all four of the bottled products and the shower cap.

If the measurement is 44.5", then that would have to be for each side. I don't know if that would be inside or outside.

451759377_QUHnn-L.jpg

OK, thanks. I'll wait until Ms. Sloop lets us know if it's inside or outside measure. If it's inside, 4 of these bins would fit perfectly on one side.

By the way, you take such great and useful photos of the cabins! Thanks for being so thoughtful and sharing them with everyone.

P.S. Another tip as I look at your photo--we store those rolled up beach towels on the top ledge of the sofa.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143

Anne Maria

I agree, why do they scrimp on the little things that do make a difference.

TO CIRMAN52,

Lol, there has been much discussion about this in the past.. especially how Celebrity evidently made a big-ta-do out the fact that they had 5 Prominent Women Designers / Consultants work on the Design of the Cabins for the original S-Class Ship "The Solstice"

Yet no one ever seemed to think about a Clothes Line for the Bathrooms (although some would say that although Celebrity could rectify this they have chose not to... because the Laundry Services make a good deal of cash for them)

Anyhow... back to those 5 Women...

Celebrity likes to bandy about how great that footrest bar in the shower is for shaving one's legs (and yet you rarely hear anyone speak of it in the REVIEWS here on CC)

A whole lot of bru-ha-ha about something most of us could care less about...

The best line I ever read here on the CC CELEBRITY BOARD was we all assumed that the 5 Women Consultants came up with that idea on Day One... then they went to lunch... and discovered the NEWLY Designed / Introduced Martini Bar !!

:eek:

Lol... after that Cabin Design went out the window !!

:rolleyes::):D:o

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB