Crown Princess Delay - Norwalk Virus

MizzouMary

We are booked on today's sailing and arrived at 11:15. We were asked to wait in the covention center. We were given info. stating our ship is being disinfected and we should board at 4, with a two-hour delay departing Port Everglades. Everyone will be given a $20

on-board credit since we are stuck here the entire day. They are providing complimentary lemonade, tea and coffee, but burgers are $8 each. I'm just hoping we are not sick all week with the virus and they have done a good job sanitizing the ship. My husband saw two men walk out of the restroom without washing their hands. I also witnessed the same in the ladies room. People: PLEASE WASH YOUR HANDS!!!

Hi There

This happened to us once at Ft L but we had to wait at check in not nice,

we had a fine cruise however others did not, a few got noro,

wash your hands but keep your fingers away from your mouth.

yours Shogun

They just announced we will not be boarding until 6 pm, now instead of 4. I understand the need to disinfect and make it as safe as possible, but passengers are missing almost the entire first day of the cruise. By the time we board, get unpacked, go through the drill, it will be time to go to bed for us. It's been a long day if waiting in the convention center - almost seven hours! And I just received notification from princess a few minutes ago there will be a delay boarding today. We rushed to drive here this morning. Wish we would have known sooner. Honestly, missing a day of our cruise should warrant more than a $20 obc pp, especially since they are not providing any food for us.

I would think a 10PM sail away sounds about right...2 hours to get us all on board, then the muster drill..then it'll be bon voyage and tomorrow we'll wake up with a beautiful sky-island and sea...I hope.

The refeshments are fine and never ending, but the comments about the food, for folks who have been enjoying the hospitality of the Broward Co Con Center are true.

Where are those little snacklets we can always find in the horizon court. Never thought I'd miss them so much :-)

Stuff happens, but I must say that charging people $8 for a burger at a time when they should have been on board enjoying paid-for food is petty and unconscionable.

I agree with this. I'm surprised they are charging you for food when you would have gotten lunch on board. What is the point of the $20 OBC if you spend it on food because you got to the pier at the time they originally told you to board?

I'm cruising soon, and in my research I've found some interesting information about the noroviruses. I'm sharing the information in hopes it can help prevent fellow CC members from getting sick.

Noroviruses are transmitted directly from person to person and indirectly via contaminated water and food. They are highly contagious, with as few as one to ten virus particles being able to cause infection. Transmission occurs through ingesting contaminated food and water and by person-to-person spread. Transmission through fecal-oral can be aerosolized when those stricken with the illness vomit and can be aerosolized by a toilet flush when vomit or diarrhea is present and subsequently contaminates surfaces; infection can follow breathing air near an episode of vomiting, even if cleaned up.

When a person becomes infected with norovirus, the virus begins to multiply within the small intestine. After approximately one to two days, norovirus symptoms can appear. The principal symptom is acute gastroenteritis that develops between 24 and 48 hours after exposure, and lasts for 24–60 hours

The disease is usually self-limiting, and characterized by nausea, forceful vomiting, watery diarrhea, and abdominal pain, and in some cases, loss of taste. General lethargy, weakness, muscle aches, headache, coughs, and low-grade fever may occur. Treatment is limited to avoiding dehydration. Antibiotics are ineffective against viruses. The viruses continue to be shed after symptoms have subsided and shedding can still be detected many weeks after infection.

Shellfish and salad ingredients are the foods most often implicated in norovirus outbreaks. Ingestion of shellfish that have not been sufficiently heated poses a high risk for norovirus infection. Foods other than shellfish may be contaminated by infected food handlers. The source of waterborne outbreaks may include water from municipal supplies, wells, recreational lakes, swimming pools and ice machines.

Norovirus is rapidly inactivated by either sufficient heating or by chlorine-based disinfectants, but the virus is less susceptible to alcohols and detergents, as it does not have a lipidenvelope.

So, wash your hands prior to touching your mouth, eyes, and nose. Stay out of areas when someone may have vomited or had diarrhea. If your room mate is sick, be sure the bathroom door remains closed, and wipe down the bathroom with chlorine based wipes. Watch out for raw vegetables and cut fruit and keep pool water away from your face (especially if there's been infants in diapers in the pool). It would be nice if they took a minute at muster to remind everyone to wash their hands!

I'm off to buy some chlorine based cleaning cloths.......

I can understand everyone's frustration and charging for the food doesn't seem right BUT it's better than getting Noro. I've you've ever had it on a cruise, you know what I am saying. I had it two years ago on the Crown. I have never been so sick in my life. It was horrible. So for me, a few extra hours in port would be so worth it if I don't get Noro.

Hope everyone has a wonderful, sickness free cruise!

DH (Mike) and I arrived home from the Crown about an hour ago following our flight to Detroit. Captain Nash reported "an unprecidented number" of cases of Noro-like symptoms in a very short period of time. DH came down with the flu-like illness late yesterday afternoon after we'd been for a quick swim in the Lotus Spa Pool. He didn't go to dinner, so I went alone.

I had left the dinner table abruptly the previous night, but I was experiencing seasickness - the knot in my belly and dizziness. I laid down for about an hour and felt much better but stayed in bed for the rest of night. One of my sisters had Noro-like symptoms last night, as well. Many passengers spent the evening in their rooms because they had been instructed to do so while others simply didn't feel well enough to venture out. Not a very happy ending to an otherwise lovely cruise - even though it was awfully bumpy much of the time.

For those embarking the Crown today, I wish you happy cruising and be well.

Chris

So sorry to hear this. Remember to disinfect your hands AFTER handeling the menus. I even wipe the salt and pepper omce we're seated.

Interesting that the poster above you noted that chlorine based disinfectants are what kills the norovirus. I think I've read some posts that have stated that the hand sanitizers don't really kill the norovirus but I'm not sure. It sure seems like a tough winter on cruise ships this year.

I'm just hoping we are not sick all week with the virus and they have done a good job sanitizing the ship. My husband saw two men walk out of the restroom without washing their hands. I also witnessed the same in the ladies room. People: PLEASE WASH YOUR HANDS!!!

I have no doubt the ship will be very clean and sanitized when you walk on. What I worry about is your fellow passengers embarking who are similar to what you mentioned above who may bring it on the ship with them.

BTW - I work in education and right now, half of my department has norovirus (they call it the stomach flu). We have a ton of students who are also sick right now.

We just boarded as well. Honestly I thought a $20 credit when we only spent about $8 on lunch was fair. Emergency drill is at 10 and I believe we are leaving at 10:30. We stopped in a bar and talked to a bartender a short while ago and he said there was discussion that the virus started with the food or in the kitchen and aLl food was removed from the ship and the ship could not board until the CDC cleared things which led to the extra delay. He also stated they had to scrub everything and then restock with fresh food so that led to the 8 hour turnaround. Makes sense and right now it really doesn't matter to me because I'm on vacation. For anyone who had to leave the ship this morning sick, I hope you all get well and made it home ok.

Dave

I have been reading some of the comments regarding misisng the first few hours of the cruise and must say that certainly passengers have a right to be diasappointed by the delay; however, would they rather be delayed and lessen the risk of contacting the virus OR would they want to get on the ship and then spend several days sick? Cruise lines because of regulations have to delay sailing until everything has been cleaned. The virus is probably brought on board by passengers and spread by passengers. I don't think passengers should be compensated beyond what is already provided. Cruising these days is still a bargain! Sometimes, s . . t happens!

We just boarded as well. Honestly I thought a $20 credit when we only spent about $8 on lunch was fair.

Dave

From my experience in customer service, I would have given folks $15 OBC and a free hamgurger. It's all in how you present it. But it's nice to know that there are people like you who can see the glass as half full. :) Have a great trip, and here's praying for the health of all.

Archived