Need lunch recommendations in Key West

gammongirl

If you could only go to one restaurant for lunch in Key West where would you go? We've never been to Key West before and we're looking for a place with great food that allows us to get a real feel for the town. (Walking distance from cruise ship port is a big plus!)

If you could only go to one restaurant for lunch in Key West where would you go? We've never been to Key West before and we're looking for a place with great food that allows us to get a real feel for the town. (Walking distance from cruise ship port is a big plus!)

Walk up Duval to Caroline and make a left. About 2 blocks farther on, on the left, is...

http://www.bosfishwagon.com/

Blackened grouper sandwiches, fries, and a Corona. No credit cards.

Pjk

Walk up Duval to Caroline and make a left. About 2 blocks farther on, on the left, is...

http://www.bosfishwagon.com/

Blackened grouper sandwiches, fries, and a Corona. No credit cards.

Pjk

We were in Key West a couple of weeks ago and tried BO's based on the recommendations here. We were disappointed with our grouper sandwich. It was okay but the bread was dry and not enough mayo/sauce on the fish.......it was pretty bland......

Maybe we just hit them on a bad day.

We went to the Conch Republic Seafood Company. We weren't really hungry, so we just bought a couple of sodas and split an appetizer of conch fritters ($9 for 8 fritters). We ate there a little before 12, so there was no wait... service was great, and the food was good.

Afterwards, you can walk across the street to Kermit's for Key Lime Pie on a stick.

I too was going to suggest Margaritaville. Ate there when I was in college, and loved it, and we make a point to go to the one in Orlando when we do our annual trip there, but the one in Orlando just isn't the same as the one in Key West, so I'm looking forward to going back to the original.

• 3 weeks later...

From this local's perspective, places like sloppy joes or margaritaville have little to do with "getting a feel for the town". They are tourist traps with food that is average at best. Go for a beer or buy a tee shirt if you must, but skip the food. There are dozens of places with great food here. Walk along the harbor to half shell raw bar, or walk to blue heaven. If you are on city view trolley, stop at Higgs beach and eat at Salute. Sit in the back garden of Blackfin Bistro, or find El Siboney for authentic Cuban Food. I know everyones version of "authentic" Key West is different, but at least go somewhere with fresh, good food.

Sit in the back garden of Blackfin Bistro, or find El Siboney for authentic Cuban Food. I know everyones version of "authentic" Key West is different, but at least go somewhere with fresh, good food.

I can second the El Siboney recommendation. We were in Key West and had a great, reasonably priced dinner (go early, it can get crowded) last month. There were lots of locals - a good sign in my experience.

Walk along the harbor to half shell raw bar, or walk to blue heaven. If you are on city view trolley, stop at Higgs beach and eat at Salute. Sit in the back garden of Blackfin Bistro, or find El Siboney for authentic Cuban Food. I know everyones version of "authentic" Key West is different, but at least go somewhere with fresh, good food.

keywester: please tell me a little more about Blue Heaven, Salute and Blackfin Bistro

I can second the El Siboney recommendation. We were in Key West and had a great, reasonably priced dinner (go early, it can get crowded) last month. There were lots of locals - a good sign in my experience.

I never ever ever miss El Siboney when visiting Key West. It's a bit of a walk, and is not in the typical tourist areas, but it is some of the best food you will find on Cayo Hueso. It is a throwback to old Key West. I still miss El Cacique which disappeared from downtown many, many years ago.

Enjoy Key West

Tom

Wondering what keywester thinks of the suggestions in these videos:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/delegate.do?Nr=Record%20Type:Result&N=504&fnSearchString=key%20west

The restaurants in the first video are all good, but unfortunately both Bahama Mama and The Key Lime Pie company mentioned have closed. Conch Cafe on Petronia is similar to Bahama Mama and I like Kermits or Blue Heaven for Key Lime Pie.

The second video is the history of Louie's Backyard. Louie's gets mixed reviews these days from locals, but I have never had a bad meal there and enjoy it for lunch. The setting is great. You will get better service and a nicer table with a reservation. There is also a place upstairs called Louie's Upstairs that has more affordable small plates that is very good as well. Finally, The Afterdeck at Louie's is the bar and tables out on the water. It is a nice spot for a pricey drink to take in the views.

keywester: please tell me a little more about Blue Heaven, Salute and Blackfin Bistro

You might want to read some reviews about these places or look at menus for more details that I can provide here. Blue Heaven is a great place with a funky atmosphere are very good food. The outside area has chickens running around and large shade trees. The breakfasts are outstanding and lunch and dinner are very good as well. I love the Key Lime Pie there. It is homemade and has a large merangue topping. It is an "only in Key West" place.

Salute is owned by the same people at Blue Heaven. It is away from the main tourism area on Higgs Beach. It is a great, beachfront safe with really good food, especially the fresh fish, shrimp and shimp salad. They also have the same Key Lime Pie as Blue Heaven. It is one of my favorite places to eat in town.

Finally, Blackfin Bistro is on Duval and has a nice backyard. It is about 9 blocks from Malory Square. They also have excellent food including fresh fish, but I often go for their burgers which I think are some of the best on the island. They come with fresh cut fries and are reasonably priced (for Key West!).

Enjoy!

thanks, keywester :) the one time I was in KW, we ate at a place that was the first restaurant we saw when we got off at the end of the Old Town trolley ride...I just searched on Trip Advisor and found out the name is Red Fish Blue Fish...before I searched for the name, I had thought it might be the Blue Heaven restaurant you recommended...I guess the Blue in both names confused me...I do recall that Red Fish Blue Fish had awesome key lime pie there, and it was homemade, too

have you eaten at Red Fish Blue Fish, keywester?

A quick google search and I found this

http://www.elsiboneyrestaurant.com/menu.html

I just returned from Key West. Had planned on going to El Sibonay but talked to several locals that said it had changed hands, was not a good as it used to be and was living off it's rep.

Don't think they serve lunch but I had dinner at Michaels and it was fantastic.

El Siboney did change hands a couple years ago, but I think it is still very good. I don't really agree it is living off its reputation and the place still gets a huge local following. I do think Havana One on Truman is even better if you are going off the beaten path.

I ate at Red Fish Blue Fish once and did not think it was anything special.

El Siboney did change hands a couple years ago, but I think it is still very good. I don't really agree it is living off its reputation and the place still gets a huge local following. I do think Havana One on Truman is even better if you are going off the beaten path.

I ate at Red Fish Blue Fish once and did not think it was anything special.

We've eaten at El Siboney many times and have not noticed a difference in the food or service. I love it and it's always full of locals.

I'm thinking the only crab legs you'll get in KW will be frozen and $$$. Have you ever tried Stone Crab claws??? These are readily available and are delicious, especially cold with a mayo type of dipping sauce. Make me want to get on a plane and head down there!

Look for info regarding finding places that have these at a happy hour; they are around.

Archived