Princess' Wine Bottle Package

cruzinchris

In response to my question on FaceBook, Princess posted:

Wine packages are currently available on most ships on itineraries over 10 days in length. Thank you for your feedback. I will be sure to share it with management.

Thanks for posting that on Facebook. I sent an email to Princess, encouraging them to promote and expand the program, and got a very short and generic response that they would send the suggestion along to the "appropriate department."

Hopefully, if enough of us contact them they will do a better job of promoting the program. Of course, the real evaluation will be done on how many people sign up for the program, and whether or not it is profitable for them.

Thanks for posting that on Facebook. I sent an email to Princess, encouraging them to promote and expand the program, and got a very short and generic response that they would send the suggestion along to the "appropriate department."

Hopefully, if enough of us contact them they will do a better job of promoting the program. Of course, the real evaluation will be done on how many people sign up for the program, and whether or not it is profitable for them.

Unfortunately, as long as the keep it a secret, it will not be very profitable.

Unfortunately, as long as the keep it a secret, it will not be very profitable.

That's what is so confusing...test a program, implement a program & not promote a program? Obviously whoever is handling the wine card program failed their marketing classes. :(.

In response to my question on FaceBook, Princess posted:

Wine packages are currently available on most ships on itineraries over 10 days in length. Thank you for your feedback. I will be sure to share it with management.

Thanks Paul we will be looking forward to it on our upcoming cruises. (I hope, I hope.):)

• 2 weeks later...
I looked at the package that was being offered on the Island Princess in 2/12 and did not purchase it because I was told that I could not upgrade by paying the difference. I was told that it was a recent change to eliminate the upgrade option. Perhaps Princess found out that they would not sell many without the upgrade. With the upgrade option I would certainly purchase the package.

I do not recall a lot of advertising, but the had a table set up for a few days.

When was your cruise? Could you upgrade from both the Silver and Gold package?

Thanks

I was on the Pacific Princess from May 12 to June 5, 2012.

Last fall on the Coral Princess, we could not upgrade by paying the difference. This cruise, we did it at least 4 times --- you are charged the higher price, then given a $45 credit. We had the Gold package, but I think the server said you could upgrade from either.

You need to ask your server about the package. They did not volunteer the information and there is no card on the table advertizing it.

I was on the Pacific Princess from May 12 to June 5, 2012.

Last fall on the Coral Princess, we could not upgrade by paying the difference. This cruise, we did it at least 4 times --- you are charged the higher price, then given a $45 credit. We had the Gold package, but I think the server said you could upgrade from either.

You need to ask your server about the package. They did not volunteer the information and there is no card on the table advertizing it.

John,

Thanks for the info.

Hope all is well

The only way to tell if the package is a good deal is to see a list of wines available for each level ($29 versus $45) and compare that to the wine list that they would give you in the dining room if you were to purchase it by the bottle each night? I Have searched for the lists but haven't been able to find them. The packages are a good deal to easily have wine in your room. We are sailing on the Golden at the end of June. Thanks!

Barbara

The only way to tell if the package is a good deal is to see a list of wines available for each level ($29 versus $45) and compare that to the wine list that they would give you in the dining room if you were to purchase it by the bottle each night? I Have searched for the lists but haven't been able to find them. The packages are a good deal to easily have wine in your room. We are sailing on the Golden at the end of June. Thanks!

Barbara

You may be right, but I thought it was the standard dining room wine list that you pick from.

You may be right, but I thought it was the standard dining room wine list that you pick from.

Okay, that would be fine (actually better than the way they do it on RCCL) but I still haven't seen anyone post a copy of the wine list! Anyone out there have a copy? Thanks!

Barbara

Barbara

Okay, that would be fine (actually better than the way they do it on RCCL) but I still haven't seen anyone post a copy of the wine list! Anyone out there have a copy? Thanks!

Barbara

Barbara,

There is no special restricted wine list; the wine package applies to any wine on the regular wine list. However, on the Coral Princess last fall, the sommelier was selling some "off list" wines and we could not use the package for those.

You could try contacting Princess for a copy of the list, but they will probably just tell you the types of wines on the list and not the specific producers, vintages or prices. At least, that has been the response other people on Cruise Critic have gotten when they asked Princess for the list.

The day you board the ship, you should go to one of the specialty restaurants. There will almost certainly be someone outside taking reservations; he/she will have a wine list and all of the main dining room menus for the cruise. Look the wine list over and see whether the package is a good deal for you.

The person at the specialty restaurant would probably be more than glad to sell you the package, but make your waiter very happy and buy it at dinner from him/her.

John and I think it is fantastic to be able to buy a $48 bottle of wine for $28 + $3 additional (with the 12 bottle Gold package). We would buy wines in the $35-$45 range every night anyway and don't mind saving up to $17 per bottle.

John,

Thanks for the info.

Hope all is well

So far, so good. I haven't sent out an update about Clara lately because we keep hoping to announce that she is off all prophylactic drugs and contact restrictions. Her immune function has increased every time she is tested, though it is still not up to normal levels. She can now have play dates with other children who are not sick and loves the social contact. Of course, she also loves her "sissie" Rosalyn, who weighs almost as much she does but is 19 months younger. We were in CA for Clara's 2nd birthday in April and will be going out there again in September. I know you join me in a toast to advances in leukemia research and treatment!

Hope to sail with you and Jeannie again.

So far, so good. I haven't sent out an update about Clara lately because we keep hoping to announce that she is off all prophylactic drugs and contact restrictions. Her immune function has increased every time she is tested, though it is still not up to normal levels. She can now have play dates with other children who are not sick and loves the social contact. Of course, she also loves her "sissie" Rosalyn, who weighs almost as much she does but is 19 months younger. We were in CA for Clara's 2nd birthday in April and will be going out there again in September. I know you join me in a toast to advances in leukemia research and treatment!

Hope to sail with you and Jeannie again.

Thanks for the Clara update. Glad she is doing well.

Jeannie just passed her 10 anniversary of her diagnosis in April and will have 10 years remission is September. Still having no problems with the chemo.

It would be great to cruise again with you and John. We had such a wonderful time on the Tahitian TAs.

Barbara,

There is no special restricted wine list; the wine package applies to any wine on the regular wine list. However, on the Coral Princess last fall, the sommelier was selling some "off list" wines and we could not use the package for those.

You could try contacting Princess for a copy of the list, but they will probably just tell you the types of wines on the list and not the specific producers, vintages or prices. At least, that has been the response other people on Cruise Critic have gotten when they asked Princess for the list.

The day you board the ship, you should go to one of the specialty restaurants. There will almost certainly be someone outside taking reservations; he/she will have a wine list and all of the main dining room menus for the cruise. Look the wine list over and see whether the package is a good deal for you.

The person at the specialty restaurant would probably be more than glad to sell you the package, but make your waiter very happy and buy it at dinner from him/her.

John and I think it is fantastic to be able to buy a $48 bottle of wine for $28 + $3 additional (with the 12 bottle Gold package). We would buy wines in the $35-$45 range every night anyway and don't mind saving up to $17 per bottle.

Thank you so much for the info - I like that idea for a plan much better than what they offer on RCCL with limited choices that are much lower end wines.

Barbara

I will be on the Ruby in 2 weeks, they are not yet offering the package. It sounds similar to most other lines packages. I think it's a great program and will be happy when it's instituted fleetwide.

We were on the TA crossing in April and the Ruby Princess did have the wine package. We took the silver one at $161.00 for 7 days as we drink only half a bottle a night plus 15% tip and ordered the most expensive wine ($29.00).

Going on the TA on the Emerald April 2013 and plan to do the same.

Ontario Cruiser

We were on the TA crossing in April and the Ruby Princess did have the wine package. We took the silver one at $161.00 for 7 days as we drink only half a bottle a night plus 15% tip and ordered the most expensive wine ($29.00).

Going on the TA on the Emerald April 2013 and plan to do the same.

Ontario Cruiser

Thanks for the update on the Ruby. Hopefully, they will soon have it on all ships.

Here is a link to a thread about Princess' wine list. This was in late 2011, but seemed to be about the same in January. Thanks, Largin

WINE LIST

John (my personal sommelier) looked at the list and said the prices listed there are about the same as on our recent Pacific Princess cruises. Many of the wines he wanted to try were sold out though.

• 2 weeks later...

Just came off the Grand Med cruise on the Ruby Princess. I had to ask for the wine package from the maitre'd. They explained to me this was just the 2nd cruise they were offering it onboard. I new more about it than most staff. I sold 17 packages for Princess just by discussing it with people in lounges and dining room.

they are getting it together, they need to get everyone trained on the package and they will be fine

if you purchase the silver package but want a more expensive wine they will only charge you the difference for the higher price (35.00 -29.00 for package you are charged 6.00) I liked this option

A good program, I highly recommend it

Just came off the Grand Med cruise on the Ruby Princess. I had to ask for the wine package from the maitre'd. They explained to me this was just the 2nd cruise they were offering it onboard. I new more about it than most staff. I sold 17 packages for Princess just by discussing it with people in lounges and dining room.

they are getting it together, they need to get everyone trained on the package and they will be fine

if you purchase the silver package but want a more expensive wine they will only charge you the difference for the higher price (35.00 -29.00 for package you are charged 6.00) I liked this option

A good program, I highly recommend it

Great to see it's on Ruby, we'll definitely be buying it.

Just wanted to let you know that princess is not offering any wine packages on sailings of less than 10 days. I spoke to everyone.....from the head waiter to the sommelier and they just aren't doing it. We are on the Golden right now in Alaska. We have been buying wine by the bottle every day.....not cheap. But they do have a good wine selection......

Just wanted to let you know that princess is not offering any wine packages on sailings of less than 10 days. I spoke to everyone.....from the head waiter to the sommelier and they just aren't doing it. We are on the Golden right now in Alaska. We have been buying wine by the bottle every day.....not cheap. But they do have a good wine selection......

How disappointing! I would think that this promotion would sell more wine, so I don't understand why Princess would limit this to 10-day cruises.

I bought the package on the Star 4/3, they didn't ad any tip. WARNING!!!! Don't lose your card like I did the second day. The section captian made me feel like a criminal. It took 3 days to investergate and get a new card. They wouldn't give us any wine till then. Ever our waiter couldn't believe how he acted.