My relatives ask why we book a cruise so far out...

stressedmomof3

As soon as the cruise schedule came out last year for the summer of 2012 we booked our cruise on the Magic and told our relatives that they need to book too if they want to vacation with us. ( we all did the Disney thing a couple years back and wanted to get all the cousins together again).

Well- needless to say they did not book their rooms and now the prices are sky high for our cruise and they all decided not to go ( their loss).

But had to share- we are a family of 5 and booked 2 aft balconies and we have saved over $800 on each room by booking early!:eek:

I keep checking the fares because we booked Early Saver and it keeps going up and up ( and all the Early Savers for afts are gone).

I am sure it will probably go down again- but not by that much.

Just thought I'd share the benefits to booking early for those teetering on the fence for the new 2013 cruises;)

We are like you. We booked our November 2011 Carnival Magic cruise in July 2010 as soon as they announced the home port. About 10 days later, the fares went up and all they did was go up and up and up! I was so glad we booked ahead of time, even though it seemed like forever until our cruise date arrived! LOL

I am currently waitint patiently (or not so patiently) for Carnival to add the 7 day cruises to it's November 2013 itineraries. They have added the shorter cruises and the rate for Thanksgiving week is phenomenal! Hoping that it will be the same thing when they add the 7 day cruises!

I book over a year in advance as well and I book early saver. Booked in October 2011 for our April 2013 cruise. I also did the same thing for our Feb 2011 cruise and in the end the price ended up being $80 per person more than what I paid - $320 savings. I also ended up with a price drop of $10 each along the way.

As soon as the cruise schedule came out last year for the summer of 2012 we booked our cruise on the Magic and told our relatives that they need to book too if they want to vacation with us. ( we all did the Disney thing a couple years back and wanted to get all the cousins together again).

Well- needless to say they did not book their rooms and now the prices are sky high for our cruise and they all decided not to go ( their loss).

But had to share- we are a family of 5 and booked 2 aft balconies and we have saved over $800 on each room by booking early!:eek:

I keep checking the fares because we booked Early Saver and it keeps going up and up ( and all the Early Savers for afts are gone).

Just thought I'd share the benefits to booking early for those teetering on the fence for the new 2013 cruises;)

O.K., I'm still teetering. Book for 3/13/now or wait until our 4/28/ cruise and either book onboard or get an FCC.

What's your take?

I agree Early Saver is the way to go. Plus having a cruise booked helps the PCD when you get off the ship:p.

Happy Sails

I can't commit that far in advance. It helps that I don't start looking at prices until I know our vacation dates. Even if the prices on some cruises have gone up, there is usually one that we can afford to book at the last minute.

We usually book about a year out. It's funny. The people I work with are jealous and in fact, I can not even discuss my vacations at all without causing problems. One of the ladies gets so bent out of shape that we cruise and can't understand how we can afford it... lol. I have tried explaining that we book a year or so in advance and can make payments so its not all coming at us at once. Of course she doesn't want to listen to logic... lol.

I booked our Magic cruise in May as soon as they came out last year. My extended Aft balcony is now $800 more than I paid last February!:D Everyone thought I was crazy...not so crazy when I saved so much money and now the cruise is completely paid for because I could make payments!!:p

OP, I'm with you on booking early. We booked the US Inaugural for the Breeze (11/24/12) back in May. The price of our cabin is now $1200 more for an 8B balcony!:eek: And in our case we had friends who were "thinking" about the cruise who now can't afford to book it.

Another reason I book early is because I prefer Spirit class ships and the bowling alley balcony...since there are only 3 of them, I try to book early so I can get one;)

Once I find a ship/itinerary I want, we book early for the following reasons:

1. My teaching schedule is set a year in advance, so I know we will all be

free at that time.

2. I get my choice of cabin.

3. The price is always pretty good a year out! And if the price drops, I

get the drop or obc.

4. I can take my time paying off the cruise, and prepaying as much as

I can as far as drink/soda coupons, grats, excursions, etc.

5. It gives me something to look forward to , to keep me "sane" for the

rest of the year.

My Xmas cruise on Breeze has gone up $300 pp since we booked! That is

$1200 for the 4 of us. And I still don't doubt we will get a price drop as the sailing date gets closer.:)

We usually book about a year out. It's funny. The people I work with are jealous and in fact, I can not even discuss my vacations at all without causing problems. One of the ladies gets so bent out of shape that we cruise and can't understand how we can afford it... lol. I have tried explaining that we book a year or so in advance and can make payments so its not all coming at us at once. Of course she doesn't want to listen to logic... lol.

Pam, I work with one of those people too. LOL! She just doesn't get why I book so early either. All of her vacations are 'last minute' where, in her mind, she thinks that she has scored some sort of huge deal. Considering the prices she is paying, I am not sure she has scored anything.

Oh well, to each their own.

OP, I book early too to be able to make payments along the way (I watch our Canadian $$ like a hawk and usually throw some money on the cruise when we are above par:D - of course that method only really works when you book in US $). I've also noticed that I may get some price drops early, it seems to stop quite a few months out and then the price just goes up. Looking to book my 2013 cruise very soon actually!

Being a solo is costly enough so if I book a year in advance like my upcoming 8 niter it cost me $1,462 for an inside cabin. Current price is $1,860 and by the time I sail in late April it will probably run over $2,000 easily. Better than cutting coupons.:)

I always book well in advance it can save big.....I've been checking daily for the release of the Breeze for Jun 2013 cruise's......I hope they keep doing the 8 day with Curacao and Aruba.....

That's exactly what we do...book a year out and pay it off before we go, works perfect for us! And I love the anticipation and planning, gives me lots to look forward to:)

I have found my best deals by booking almost a year from cruise date. Got a great deal on the Liberty in 2009 for my Mom and me, but next cruise I was solo, and booked 10 months in advance. I got a port hole room on the Freedom for an 8 day cruise in 2010 for 592.00 plus port charges and insurance. I booked my next cruise on the Liberty (October this year), the first week of Jan this year ( 10 months away ), also a solo cruise, but the rate worked for me, and since I booked(only a month ago), the price has gone up by 200.00 . I think you can get some great deals last minute, but I am soooo not a last minute person!:eek:. I need time to plan! and I need lots of time to spend on Cruise Critic soaking up pre cruise reviews, news, and advice.:) I do always however purchase the cruise travel insureance through Carnival. ( I know you can get it cheaper elsewhere ) but I like the convenience of everything in one bill, and their insurance says you can cancel for any reason. Whatever you do; if you purchase, book a cruise this far in advance, do have cancellation insurance that will cover you if you have to cancel.

We always book about a year out. Our cruise coming up in May, we booked while we were on our last cruise in June. :D Gives me plenty of planning time & time to pay cash for everything since it comes out of my paychecks. We always have just about all excursions, etc paid for ahead of time. Love it!

We also book at least a year out using ES - at first the price just went up and up after we booked, but then it started dropping. You have to be diligent about checking prices but we saved $550 on our upcoming cruise!

Another thing I started doing a couple of cruises ago was purchasing "Fun Ship Dollars" for myself, and applying them to our room as an OBC - if you book a year out and buy a $50 certificate each month you can end up with a $600 on board credit before you ever board. It's a great way to start a vacation knowing you aren't going to have to being paying for it for months after you are home.

Try it - you'll love it!

Not only did I get a great rate for both my interior and balcony cabins, but I saved a bundle on airfare by booking a year out.

And after starting my countdown at 370'ish days, I'll be aboard the beautiful Liberty in 21 days!

The earlier, the better for me!

We book a year or so out as well too. We generally cruise in June or July and once we return home from our cruise with our Future Cruise Certificates, we call up Carnival to book a cruise for the next year! :)

We do it for several reasons.. We cruise every year & know this, so matter as well book early under the early saver offer & save some $$$ & rack up the OBC. It also gives us something to look forward to, we save on airfare cause we book that 9 months out too, and it gives us more time to pay off the cruise rather than racking up credit cards bills :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived