Roatan...how many have made it there?

Sassy's Mom

On first cruise (4/2011), Roatan was on the itinerary but we weren't able to get into port due to the water conditions and the tenders weren't an option either. I recall sitting in HC and watching our approach to land. It seemed we stalled and then just spun around and left. In talking to other passengers, they said that Roatan is 50/50 at best to get into port (with or without tenders).

We are doing the Western Caribbean again on the Crown in March (added Belize and took out Princess Cays) in hopes of making it ashore.

Any thoughts or insights?

On first cruise (4/2011)' date=' Roatan was on the itinerary but we weren't able to get into port due to the water conditions and the tenders weren't an option either. I recall sitting in HC and watching our approach to land. It seemed we stalled and then just spun around and left. In talking to other passengers, they said that Roatan is 50/50 at best to get into port (with or without tenders).

We are doing the Western Caribbean again on the Crown in March (added Belize and took out Princess Cays) in hopes of making it ashore.

Any thoughts or insights?[/quote']

We went on the Crown in March of 2010 and made it in to Roatan. I had no idea at the time that we were actually sort of lucky to have made it.

Mr and Mrs Joseph S Schmoe (representing the Schmoes of Tallahassee) have been there.

We were on a Norwegian boat and things went without incident. Coxon Hole is not a tender port. The town itself has character. We didn't do any tours. Many of the shipmates rented atv's and took off for the beaches. A taxi at the pier would probably cost about $20.

Some decent touring info on the web

Please check under Roatan for port information. If you are a blood donor most likely you will not be able to donate blood for a year if you visit Roatan due to malaria possibility.

Here in VA the Red Cross will not take your blood donation for a year, even if you have no symptoms and healthy.

BTW...when you visit Belize (which is a tender port)...the Schmoes can't speak highly enough of Alan Dawson at Experience Belize Tours. He guided us through the Mayan ruins at Alton Ha. Mr. Schmoe was disappointed at the cancellation of the daily sacrifice due to the scarcity of suitable virgins.

When the Schmoes again visit Belize, we will seek out Mr. Dawson and join whatever tour he is leading. He is great.

The entry to Mahogany Bay is a bit tricky. If there is any wind, it makes it difficult to enter the narrow channel, backwards. Only Carnival brand ships dock at Mahogany Bay. NCL will dock at Coxen Hole.

I have heard that if its too tight to get into Mahogany Bay, that sometimes the ships will attempt to tender in to it, or to Coxen Hole. Unfortunately, the call to skip might not be made until they attempt to enter the channel.

That is way interesting about not being able to donate blood. I would have never checked that, but I do donate blood because I have a rare type and I am always getting calls from the local blood bank. I have been to Roatan a long time ago just after it became a port. I am on the same cruise as Sassy's Mom, so I believe I will not be getting off the ship there. Thanks for the heads up!

We made it back in 2009 on the Crown. We were very lucky becausse we were the last Princess sailing scheduled to dock at Coxen Hole. The next week is when they opened Mahogany Bay. I would hate to miss this port if I traveled there again. It's my favorite caribbean port.

I hope that what one of the posters here stated is true - that they will try and make the channel bigger. That sounds like a huge undertaking but I do wonder how much money the Carnival owned Mahogany Bay pier area is losing due to all the sailings that seem to not be able to dock.

At our meet-and-greet on the Crown Princess last week, Captain Nash talked a little bit about the determining factors for when a ship can or cannot make it into Roatan, and said that the widening of the channel at Mahogany Bay should be completed sometime by March. He said that this would provide a bit more margin for error on ships being able to get into port, but not a whole lot. Currently, they have to abort this docking if there are winds of more than 25 knots; with the widened channel this number will be increased to somewhere around 28 knots.

Personally, I haven't ever had a chance to sail a Western Caribbean itinerary, so I don't know what the conditions here are normally like.

That is way interesting about not being able to donate blood. I would have never checked that, but I do donate blood because I have a rare type and I am always getting calls from the local blood bank. I have been to Roatan a long time ago just after it became a port. I am on the same cruise as Sassy's Mom, so I believe I will not be getting off the ship there. Thanks for the heads up!

That's really noble of you to donate blood, especially since you have a rare type. Since Roatan is not part of the mainland of Honduras,so I wonder if they have the same problem with blood donation.

Roatan is by far my favorite destination in the Western Caribbean. The island and people are wonderful. I haven't been to Mahagonay Bay yet, docked at Coxen Hole both times. You need to take an island tour to see the true beauty. You'll be missing a great port- I'd think I'd donate right before going and then wait till you can donate again (but I admire your dedication!)

Thank you so much for your posts. At the time, the child we were sponsoring lived in Honduras so I really had my heart set on it. I will definitely keep an eye on the wind conditions to see what our chances are. It would be disappointing to miss it twice!

We were there for the first time in December 2010 and enjoyed it very much. As others have said, the island is beautiful and the people wonderfully warm and open and friendly. We liked it so much, we booked our upcoming Western Caribbean cruise partly because it included Roatan (and Belize, which will be new for us.) Looking forward to it, and hoping we get in. On the other hand, if we can't make it, we also like sea days. ;)

Archived