Crown princess steaming home!

6pack

Just remember the only thing they did not change was the Crew!!:eek:

And the B2Bers. Maybe there should be one turnaround each month with no B2B allowed.

I feel badly for all the cruisers with interrupted or downright ruined vacations but some of the suggestions here are absolutely paranoid. Put everything in your room in baggies :eek:??? Cover with tape?? Try to sanitize freshly laundered linens? Just WASH YOUR HANDS.

Maybe it sounds funny, but I have a small package of Clorox wipes that goes in my purse. I wipe down the arm rests, seat belt fasteners and the tray tables when I fly and the handles on my luggage after anyone other than my DH and me touch them. If we rent a car, I wipe it down too. DH just rolls his eyes.

Someone suggested bringing disposable gloves on board, kind of tongue in cheek. I'm beginning to think that's not a bad suggestion. Wear them outside of your cabin and dispose of them when you get where you're going.

It is much more effective to wash your hands frequently with soap and water, before and after eating, using the toilet, and whenever they are soiled, and most importantly - do not touch your face/mouth-

a pair ( you would need at least a box or 2) of disposable gloves will not work since they become contaminated and can't be taken off and put back on without spreading whatever they touched to the inside of the gloves and would only give you a very false sense of security

Sorry this is happening to all of those on ship. We board on the 11th. Being in the medical field, I know about not touching eyes, nose, mouth without first washing. I also won't be enjoying any raw veggies or cut fruit. Usually the last thing I do at night is to read the Patter to prepare for the next day. Honestly, I don't hop out of bed to wash my hands prior to shutting off the light. Everyone receives a Patter....could it be the Patters are contaminated by the print shop staff??

So sorry to hear that you cruise has to be ended early. Lucky for you that you have managed to stay well. And that you have another cruise following. Those who don't have to be really sad that their vacation ended up like this.

Unfortunately, I can see the media taking this and turning it into something ugly and ominous sounding. And there will be the disgruntled PAX who will talk to the media and/or post on FaceBook, and make Princess out to be the bad guy. I foresee a publicity nightmare for Princess and CCL again.

Listening to the news after this week-end really upset me. as to how they made Princess sound so bad!! One women thought it was a bit much to have to sanitize her hands every time she entered the buffet ...Now you can see why this is spread so rapidly.

Thanks for taking time posting 6Pack, hope you are ok. We choose to cruise Princess because they do take care of passengers when things like this happen. We were on a cruise to nowhere when H1N1 broke out, cabin steward was sick. We did not get much in the way of compensation, but at least Princess tried to take care of us. I would rather miss a cruise or come back early than be misserable onboard. We will be cleaning our hotel room well and careful when eating out in a few weeks in FLL. Every cruise we have been on in Jan or Feb someone has had it.

But it was clean for about three weeks in Jan when we went. This is a new infection.

This was my understanding, as well. Until mid-cruise last week, there were no outward indications of Noro onboard the Crown Princess - bread baskets, salt & pepper shakers on tables in dining rooms, self-service at Horizon Court, etc. We did receive a letter in our staterooms the first night of the cruise about personal hygiene and prevention of illness, but this seems standard on most cruises at this time of year.

We sailed on the Diamond two years ago when they had the Norovirus the previous sailing. First the first few days, they made sure you sanitized you hands when you entered the Horizon court and even the Dining rooms. You were served in the buffet by the waiters, which to me was no problem... One day I observed a passenger too impatient to wait to be served...the waiter was taking care another passenger...that he picked up the utensil and helped himself. Well!! being the outspoken person that I am, I made sure he knew what he had just done was very wrong!! He could have cared less!!! I next went and informed the waiter who he was and what he had just did!!!

Do you know how many times my husband has come out of the washroom and tell me that the man over there did not wash his hands.....

In my opinion some people just think that they are above all of this!!!

She did NOT stop anywhere. She left FLL' date=' skipped Princess Cays and got almost to Curacao to turn around and head back to FLL.[/quote']

WOW! :eek: I love sea days but this situation really sucks.

I feel for everyone, sick and healthy, on the Crown. Like they say "Noro Happens"

But it was clean for about three weeks in Jan when we went. This is a new infection.

The statistics (that is, percentage of passengers with Noro versus the percentage of crew with Noro) strongly suggests that the earlier bout was passenger-based, and on last week's cruise sick passengers infected other passengers as well as crew members. The sick passengers got off, the ship was disinfected, but some infected and asymptomatic crew members remained on board. They began to manifest and infect other passengers, who, now three days into their cruise, are beginning to show signs of illness. The original statistics (see post #46 on page 2) from the current cruise showed over twice as many (percentage-wise) crew as passengers with Noro. The statistics are closing in on one another, but this is natural given the number of passengers, and the fact that passengers have more interaction with one another than with the crew. The original statistics really point to only one conclusion. After the ship was cleaned, sick crew members got back on. It is likely that some sick passengers did as well. But when the percentages run almost 3 to 1 for the crew, and the crew was on last week's cruise, the problem solves itself.

Just wanted to update you as we just received a letter highlighting the details:

7 day cruise fare + gov fees and taxes will be refunded in full

They are transporting us to Orlando where we will receive two nights at the Orlando World Centre Marriott Resort

$60 per person per day non receipted to cover food expense

Also will receive a 25% future Cruise Credit based on actual 7 day cost

Free phone call and or wifi for remainder of cruise

All in all a very nice gesture.

We just enjoyed a spectacular sunset as well!

Some of you are overlooking the fact that quite a few areas of the US have serious outbreaks of NORO, and people from those areas are cruising every week. Some may be infected and not know it until after they board the ship. OR -- Some may be sick and hide it because they don't want to forfeit their cruise. Thus, even though the ship is sanitized, the new passengers are bringing the virus onboard.

Just wanted to update you as we just received a letter highlighting the details:

They are transporting us to Orlando where we will receive two nights at the Orlando World Centre Marriott Resort

I just have to give you a thumbs up for being such a good sport about all of this. You seem to have such a positive attitude even in lieu of such crappy circumstances and it must suck to not know whether or not you and your family will become sick over the next couple of days.

Thanks for keeping us informed and for doing so with such a great attitude! So glad you got an amazing sunset atleast!

Agree 100% We were on the Crown 12/31 to 1/14 and no noro mentioned at all. In fact that 2 weeks was one of the best cruises ever. Perfect weather and smooth waters every day! We loved the Crown and are so sorry to hear of the Noro for the passengers and the poor crew who have to work their tails off cleaning. Hope the extra 2 days of treatment help.

Sounds good, 6pack. Kudos to for your upbeat attitude :)

We also love Princess and they are taking care of their passengers, as they always do - but the last two Princess cruises that we were on, my husband got sick - once on the ship and once right after returning home - Noro for sure -

The best practice is to wash your hands as often as possible and don't touch your face. Use the sanitizers on board frequently. Watch crew as they handle your silverware in the dining rooms-don't use utensils that have been handled improperly. Hope everyone recovers quickly and that the ship is cleaned and cleared quickly.

The statistics (that is, percentage of passengers with Noro versus the percentage of crew with Noro) strongly suggests that the earlier bout was passenger-based, and on last week's cruise sick passengers infected other passengers as well as crew members. The sick passengers got off, the ship was disinfected, but some infected and asymptomatic crew members remained on board. They began to manifest and infect other passengers, who, now three days into their cruise, are beginning to show signs of illness. The original statistics (see post #46 on page 2) from the current cruise showed over twice as many (percentage-wise) crew as passengers with Noro. The statistics are closing in on one another, but this is natural given the number of passengers, and the fact that passengers have more interaction with one another than with the crew. The original statistics really point to only one conclusion. After the ship was cleaned, sick crew members got back on. It is likely that some sick passengers did as well. But when the percentages run almost 3 to 1 for the crew, and the crew was on last week's cruise, the problem solves itself.

What about the sick passenegers that took a taxi to the airport and touched things in the taxi - then the new passengers took those same taxi cabs to the port. Have you ever seen anyone cleaning the taxi cabs?

Sure, a few of the crew may have passed it on but they got it from passengersd who came aboard sick.

Let's drop the talk about it - the majority of people on CC know what they should do to prevent it - There is always going to be people that don't follow good hygiene practices and we aren't going to change that. It is happening all over the country every winter - Stop blaming others - GIVE it a rest - Lets change the subject and talk about something good.

Let's be positive!!!!

Always the optimist.. :p

On the other hand... if you weren't sick, a free five day cruise, two free days and nights in Ft Lauderdale, and a BIG discount on your next cruise...

When you get served lemons...... :o

For the sickies... I really feel sorry for them :(

We found by doing some research that Germ-x foaming Advanced Protection has

Active Ingredients

Benzalkonium Chloride 0.13

<H5>Inactive Ingredients

Centrimonium Chloride, Diglycerol, Disodium Cocoamphodiacatate, Fragrance, Glycerin, Hydrochloric Acid, Methoxy PEG/PPG-7/3 Aminopropyl Dimethicone, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Tetrasodium EDTA, Water</H5>This is suppose to kill or prevent Noroviris( because of the chloride and glycerin ??) We use this when ever we go on cruises or airplanes. So far so good. :rolleyes: Plus my DW sprays everything with lysol.;)

progress.gif

I recently returned home from a holiday throughout Asia. In every airport, and most every port, we were required to pass by a device that read out our temp. Maybe it is time that cruise ships do this to. Asking pax if they are sick is not enough. Few if any will truthly answer these questions, even if they are sick. They know that they will be better in a couple of days. It is sad, that in this world, we all have to pay a price for the acts of a few. My thoughts are with the pax, the crew and of course Princess in these troubled times.

Trouble is, if you carry Noro onto the ship, you probably won't have a fever. :(

I had what I assume to be Noro pretty bad last October after attending a party with a bunch of friends. Fifteen of us got horribly sick about 24-48 hours after the party, and only about six people escaped the horror. I have never been that sick in my life, lost 8 pounds overnight (OK, oversharing :D ) and never had a fever. The next day I could barely get off the couch. I feel bad for those who got sick on this cruise and hope that those who didn't still managed to enjoy five days at sea.

That sounds like an offer that is extremely fair (maybe a bit on the generous side, but I'm sure y'all aren't complaining :D ) I hope everyone on the cruise made the best of things and now you get to take the money you get back, plus that discount, and plan another cruise. :)

An ugly' date=' vicious cycle... infected passengers disembark ship, go to hotel, infect hotel guests who in turn board the next sailing.[/quote']

Or, get on the airplane and infect several hundred more who then can infect others once they arrive at their destination. Why are these people being allowed to leave the ship and contaminate still more people?

I'm am curious as to why you are being transported to Orlando? Is the ship not coming back into FLL?? Will they be transporting you back for your next sailing on Sat? As they have annouced that the 11th will be sailing on schedule!

Maybe this ship needs to cancel a sailing or two so the crew and other employees can get rid of the virus and do a very deep cleaning of the ship.

That will not work unless you put all the embarking passengers in isolation for 48 hours after boarding to be sure they are not reinfecting the ship.

Archived