bringing food to shore from cruise

starbrite911

I have a food related question. We are a family of five and this is our second cruise in general and second one on RCC at that.

My brother has severe life threatening food allergies to eggs and all treenuts. We informed the cruise line of this on our first cruise and they said they would take care of it. Sadly, the first day, actually the first hour in the wind jammer cafe, a chef told us incorrectly that the salad was egg free. He had an anaphylactic attack and luckily was saved by my sister, a family doctor.

After a very heated discussion from myself to the cruise staff, they agreed to be more vigilent. the rest of the trip was smooth for us. the chef was a sweet heart and would come by our table early before meals and discuss food options. I brought a package of pancake mix and he made us a batch every morning since we couldn't eat theres.

I spoke to RCC this time for our cruise in late Feb, and they said that they request we speak to the staff when we board, because they can't really do anything on their end preboarding :S.

My family is vegetarian, so we don't eat meat or eggs. On our cruise, dessert was off limits other than icecream because it had egg. RCC said they won't bring in egg free products on the cruise, but that we can bring in packages of brownie mix or cookie mix that they will make for us. That is my plan :)

In terms of port, we do not eat anything from outside unless it's subway, pizza hut, that sort of thing, ie commercial and well known. I was wondering what we can do when we are on land. We will stop at Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I do not know if we have time to go back and forth between the island and the ship for meals?

Or can we pack food from the boat to bring with us, is that possible? I don't want to sound cheap or petty but we really can't risk him getting another allergy attack. I know Sorrentos does pizza, can we ask to take a box with us to the island for lunch?

Any suggestions are welcome, thank you:)

You can bring pre-packaged foods ashore, but not sandwiches or anything with veggies, fruits, cheese, etc....in it...unless it's prepackaged.

I'd get a guidebook on your ports and check out the restaurants avail. in each place.

There are VERY strict rules on the islands about bringing food off the ship. The only things allowed are factory sealed items such as granola bars, juice boxes, cereal boxes, crackers with cheese or peanut butter and things like that. You are not allowed to bring any ship prepared foods off the ship, like pizza, sandwiches, baked good, fruit or veggies. Just as the US has rules about bringing food items back to the US, most other countries have the same.

I've never seen anyone checking what's in your bag as you get off in a port, so no one's checking for sandwiches etc..Some ships even offer a boxed lunch...

This information is NOT correct! Some ports even have dogs sniffing for things that are not allowed. Many countries are very, very strict and even will impose huge fines if you are caught. If ship offer a box lunch that it will only include pre-packeaged foods.

I've never seen anyone checking what's in your bag as you get off in a port, so no one's checking for sandwiches etc..Some ships even offer a boxed lunch...

Just because someone hasn't seen something, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I personally have seen people having their bags checked and food thrown out. It's also written in the daily newsletter and announced by the cruise director that food is not to be taken off the ship. As far as the boxed lunches, it's very rare, and for those who are on ship sponsored tours and the items in the box are packaged goods that are sealed. No fruits or anything like that.

Whether you can bring food off the ship is not a cruise line decision. It is determined by the host country. In some countries, you cannot even bring factory sealed power bars. No food. You could face very serious consequence to bring food ashore with you. If someone is unwilling or unable to eat local food, they do not eat until they return to the ship.

We are permitted to bring bottled water and most of us can stop at a store and buy an orange, a banana... some fruit we can peel so we know it is 'clean'. If there are no nut allergies, buy a can/jar of nuts. Is there some common cracker you can eat. You could buy a box ashore.

Have a good breakfast and you should be able to manage on what is safe for you to buy ashore.

I am not sure if you were being sarcastic, but in the event your post is serious that is bad and dangerous information to give someone. Due to agricultural laws it is ILLEGAL to bring fresh food into most countries. If caught one can be subject to detention and potentially massive fines. If one's behavior leads to a foreign pest being introduced to the host country, the damage and financial impact can be devastating. As others have correctly stated only factory sealed snacks (i.e. granola bar type items) may be legally brought into most countries.

Just because someone hasn't seen something, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I personally have seen people having their bags checked and food thrown out. It's also written in the daily newsletter and announced by the cruise director that food is not to be taken off the ship. As far as the boxed lunches, it's very rare, and for those who are on ship sponsored tours and the items in the box are packaged goods that are sealed. No fruits or anything like that.

I agree and have seen the cute little 'sniffer beagle' dogs that can smell what food you have in your backpack, purse or tote. It is serious stuff if you get caught bringing things ashore in some countries. They mean it!

I have been to ports where customs agents had dogs that sniffed for fresh food. Violators were taken out of line and into an office.

I have very severe reactions to shell fish and any items prepared in areas where there are shellfish items. I avoid the mainline large and huge ships due to misinformation provided to me, cross contamination of food items and outright ignorance.

The only major company cruiseships I'm willing to cruise on our those of Crystal Cruise Lines: The Crystal Serenity and Crystal Symphony. Those folks go to great efforts to keep me safe.

When I travel on small ships (some very small ships) I make arrangements far in advance for my meals and have had no problems.

I would not eat anything purchased in cruise ports from any sort of restaurant including name brand chains. The risk factors fall to the people doing the cooking who may have no idea at all about the risks of severe allergies.

My brother has severe life threatening food allergies to eggs and all treenuts.

My family is vegetarian, so we don't eat meat or eggs.

In terms of port, we do not eat anything from outside unless it's subway, pizza hut, that sort of thing, ie commercial and well known. I was wondering what we can do when we are on land. We will stop at Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I do not know if we have time to go back and forth between the island and the ship for meals?

We've had similar issues. My daughter was forbidden by her doctors to eat or drink anything off the ship, unless we brought it with us. I decided it was best to fill her belly, instead of worrying about nutritional meals off ship. We brought sealed packs of pop-tarts, goldfish, cookies, crackers. If you bring a cooler, you can do packaged cheeses for cheese & cracker meals. (Bring several packs of cheese from home, keep it in mini-fridge, or cooler kept stocked with ice.) We brought her favorite juices and sodas.

It is manageable. Good luck!

Maybe a look at this website would provide some insight into why things should not be taken off ship....seeing as you are from Southern California...

http://www.commercialdiplomacy.org/case_study/case_medfly1.htm

I am not sure if you were being sarcastic, but in the event your post is serious that is bad and dangerous information to give someone. Due to agricultural laws it is ILLEGAL to bring fresh food into most countries. If caught one can be subject to detention and potentially massive fines. If one's behavior leads to a foreign pest being introduced to the host country, the damage and financial impact can be devastating. As others have correctly stated only factory sealed snacks (i.e. granola bar type items) may be legally brought into most countries.

"I" have never "seen" anyones bag being checked..Not a "sarcastic" post just what I have observed or not observed....So some may have gotten away with it...Calm down everyone :eek::eek: ..Not advocating it at all and never would consider it..Eating in ports is one thing I look forward to..I'm not a brown bagger even at home !! Just another example on these boards how "quick" some of you are to look for and assume the negativity in posts..warranted or not..:)

"I" have never "seen" anyones bag being checked..Not a "sarcastic" post just what I have observed or not observed....So some may have gotten away with it...Calm down everyone :eek::eek: ..Not advocating it at all and never would consider it..Eating in ports is one thing I look forward to..I'm not a brown bagger even at home !! Just another example on these boards how "quick" some of you are to look for and assume the negativity in posts..warranted or not..:)

So, you spend most of your time watching people leave the ship? Man, I would much prefer enjoying exploring the port. :D Just kidding!!

Taken at face value, your original post implied that people should just take food off the ship because you have never seen anyone's bag checked. It's all in the way you worded it, which unfortunately, was not the best (something I am guilty of at times :o). I believe that you did not intend to suggest that, but your comment appeared to, and other people responded by clarifying the policies so inexperienced readers wouldn't get the wrong idea. I think everyone is on the same page and no disrespect was intended.

So, you spend most of your time watching people leave the ship? Man, I would much prefer enjoying exploring the port. :D Just kidding!!

Taken at face value, your original post implied that people should just take food off the ship because you have never seen anyone's bag checked. It's all in the way you worded it, which unfortunately, was not the best (something I am guilty of at times :o). I believe that you did not intend to suggest that, but your comment appeared to, and other people responded by clarifying the policies so inexperienced readers wouldn't get the wrong idea. I think everyone is on the same page and no disrespect was intended.

Thanks for the nice response..not the normal on these boards..Sometimes what you're saying in your head doesn't come out in the written words..Darn those times :o:)

Thanks for the nice response..not the normal on these boards..Sometimes what you're saying in your head doesn't come out in the written words..Darn those times :o:)

You are welcomed! For me, sometimes between the time I think of something to say and actually say it, I forget why the heck I was trying to say it and end up saying something more accurately described as "Foot in mouth". ;)

As a fellow Californian, I imagine you have gone through some of the medfly infestations. Remember that vehicles are stopped at the border going into California (whether from Mexico or from Nevada) and the drivers are asked if they are bringing in any fruit or veggies. Some countries are also serious about protecting their agriculture.

I'm from California and I have seen plenty of food thrown into huge garbage bins just off the ship. Bananas, apples, sandwiches, cookies...most of what people would consider to be easy to carry food in their backpack for the day.

It always strikes me as weird, because there are warnings about doing this in the daily newsletter, announcements made over the loudspeaker, signs at the disembarkation area. Yet still lots of wasted food gets confiscated. Either people don't think it applies to them, or they just don't pay attention.

As a fellow Californian' date=' I imagine you have gone through some of the medfly infestations. Remember that vehicles are stopped at the border going into California (whether from Mexico or from Nevada) and the drivers are asked if they are bringing in any fruit or veggies. Some countries are also serious about protecting their agriculture.[/quote']

That's on of the biggest waste of taxpayer money.

All you have to do is say no....

Have a good breakfast and you should be able to manage on what is safe for you to buy ashore.

Im sure you can order room service breakfast if time does no allow before embarkment;) Good luck! And I understand with the kids, I am hoping we can bring un-opened box snacks on some of the beaches so the kids can eat health. Not just fries and burgers! haha

Archived