Princess wine policy

chaunceyb

We have sailed with Princess many times in the past years and they have never been too concerned about bringing wine on board. I now see in their latest "Alcohol Policy" that passengers are limited to 1 bottle of wine each PER VOYAGE.

We are sailing out of Dover in June - does anyone know if shore side security at Dover are enforcing this 2 bottle policy ?

Thanks !

From my upcoming (sometime in 2012) FAQ Site:

" Currently, Princess allows passengers to bring wine and champagne on board. While their stated policy is one bottle per passenger, this is not typically enforced, however be aware it could be on any particular voyage. Princess has the right to limit the amount of bottles carried at any time, but not ban wine or champagne outright under the current terms of their contract.

Bottles opened in a dining venue will be assessed a $15 corkage fee. There is no corkage fee for in-cabin consumption and wine glasses can be requested from your steward.

"

From my upcoming (sometime in 2012) FAQ Site:

" Currently, Princess allows passengers to bring wine and champagne on board. While their stated policy is one bottle per passenger, this is not typically enforced, however be aware it could be on any particular voyage. Princess has the right to limit the amount of bottles carried at any time, but not ban wine or champagne outright under the current terms of their contract.

Bottles opened in a dining venue will be assessed a $15 corkage fee. There is no corkage fee for in-cabin consumption and wine glasses can be requested from your steward.

"

This is from there websit no where does it say how many bottles u can bring on.

Question: What is the alcohol policy onboard Princess Cruises?

Answer: We kindly request that you do not bring alcoholic beverages (other than wine and/or champagne) onboard for consumption. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop or at ports of call will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage. A member of our Security Staff will be at the gangway to assist with the storage of your alcoholic beverage purchases.

From the Princess Cruise Answer Book: Current Version (which is secured against copy and paste apparently)

But also, from the current princess website (my emphasis):

"As provided in the Passenger Contract, passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml), per voyage.* Princess Cruises reserves the right to remove any alcoholic beverage in excess of above stated policy thresholds from both passenger suitcases and hand-luggage. Alcohol will be stored for safe-keeping during the course of the voyage and will be delivered to the passenger's stateroom on the final day of the cruise."

Link here: http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/experience.jsp - click on alcohol policy.

"

This is from there websit no where does it say how many bottles u can bring on.

Question: What is the alcohol policy onboard Princess Cruises?

Answer: We kindly request that you do not bring alcoholic beverages (other than wine and/or champagne) onboard for consumption. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop or at ports of call will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage. A member of our Security Staff will be at the gangway to assist with the storage of your alcoholic beverage purchases.

Did Princess change the carry on wine policy lately?

Wasn't there a time when it was unlimted as to the amount you could carry on?

Also, while I know Princess did not embrace cruisers bringing there own beverage into public places, has this now been banned?

This is kind of a gray area. The Q&A "book" reads one bottle of wine or champagne per passenger. However the passenger contract, the agreement you sign with Princess, says you can bring on wine or champagne and lists no limits per passenger.

I know Princess did not embrace cruisers bringing there own beverage into public places, has this now been banned?

When you have wine in a wine glass, nobody but you knows where it came from.

You can bring your own wine bottle to a dining room and pay a corkage fee to use it there.

From the Princess Cruise Answer Book: Current Version (which is secured against copy and paste apparently)

But also, from the current princess website (my emphasis):

"As provided in the Passenger Contract, passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml), per voyage.* Princess Cruises reserves the right to remove any alcoholic beverage in excess of above stated policy thresholds from both passenger suitcases and hand-luggage. Alcohol will be stored for safe-keeping during the course of the voyage and will be delivered to the passenger's stateroom on the final day of the cruise."

Link here: http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/onboard/experience.jsp - click on alcohol policy.

"

Since your post refers to the passenger contract here is what the contract says. This is copy and pasted directed from my passenger contract signed for the cruise I leave on this Saturday:

No alcohol may be purchased or consumed by any Passengers under the age of 21. No Passenger under the age of 21 shall be permitted to engage in any gaming activities on board the ship. No Passenger under the age of 18 shall be permitted to purchase cigarettes or tobacco products. Passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind (except wine and champagne) on board for consumption. You must surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship’s gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last day of the voyage. A corkage fee of $15.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship’s restaurants.

As you can see the actual contract makes no refer to a quantity. The only refer to one bottle is in the FAQ not the actual contract.

I find it interesting that the Passage Contract sets no limit on wine, but the Q&A refers to a one bottle limit in the Passage Contract.
It was enforced on us in San Juan to the extent that they will take whatever wine is in plain sight above the 1 bottle per adult. If we had realized that, I would have spent more time rearranging my carry-on bag in the duty free store to hide all, and not just most, of our wine. :rolleyes:

What they say and what you do are two different things... hide well if you must bring more on board than your allotted amount :D. it is posted that if you put it in your carry on or back pack they don't check. Just make sure you are willing to part with it incase they do take it.

Just make sure you are willing to part with it incase they do take it.
And plan a last day party- they gave me back the 2 bottles of white wine they took from me on Saturday morning, nicely chilled. ;)

I made a valiant effort, but in the end we still left a bottle of white and a bottle of red as our contribution to the cabin steward party stash. :D

Sigh - here we go again..

In the contract, no specified limit does NOT mean unlimited. Unless the contract specifically says UNLIMITED then the other portions of the contract come in to play where it says Princess, the captain etc can set policy and you agree to follow them.

It's basic legal terminology. Princess can decide tomorrow to limit you to one of those little airplane bottles and be in full compliance with current contract terms.

Sigh - here we go again..

In the contract, no specified limit does NOT mean unlimited. Unless the contract specifically says UNLIMITED then the other portions of the contract come in to play where it says Princess, the captain etc can set policy and you agree to follow them.

My complaint is the ambiguity. They need to make a clear policy fleetwide and stick to it.On Carnival, it's very clear that one bottle of wine or champagne per adult is all that is permitted. On Princess, that clarity is lacking.

This is kind of a gray area. The Q&A "book" reads one bottle of wine or champagne per passenger. However the passenger contract, the agreement you sign with Princess, says you can bring on wine or champagne and lists no limits per passenger.

That is correct and that is what u go by.

My complaint is the ambiguity. They need to make a clear policy fleetwide and stick to it.On Carnival, it's very clear that one bottle of wine or champagne per adult is all that is permitted. On Princess, that clarity is lacking.

Just a thought....if they put it (exact amount) in black and white, then everyone is limited to what they can bring. By leaving some ambiguity, it allows passengers and crew some discretion. An extra bottle or two is one thing but to bring case(s) of wine on board is a little over the top and I think it violates the spirit of the rules.

An extra bottle or two is one thing but to bring case(s) of wine on board is a little over the top and I think it violates the spirit of the rules.
We had four bottles (that they knew about). They took 2. The female officer we were dealing with was making NO exceptions.

An extra bottle or two is one thing but to bring case(s) of wine on board is a little over the top and I think it violates the spirit of the rules.

Depends on the length of the cruise. I think one bottle per day per cabin is reasonable. That allows you to bring a bottle each night to dinner and pay the corkage fee. The ship isn't losing money on you because you are paying them $15 per night, which is about what their profit margin would be if you bought a $25-$30 bottle of wine, or had a couple of glasses with dinner. As long as the ship is making money off of you, you aren't violating the spirit of the rules.

I completely agree, but we have to work with what's written. I just don't want people thinking they can wave the contract around and say it says unlimited when it doesn't.

Until the contract states exactly how many bottles of wine each passanger can bring, I will continue to bring how much my luggage can hold. Usually we bring about 4 bottles between the 2 of us, sometimes more. I live in the Napa valley and only bring on board wines that you can not get on the ship and always from small wineries. Often the wine steward is very interested in what we bring and ask questions about it. But the wine we bring is always in our checked luggage and I think that makes a big difference.

To the poster who thinks one bottle per day is a reasonable amount - will you help me load 49 bottles of wine for my upcoming South American cruise in 2013.

Here's the deal - need help from my condo in Vancouver to the Amtrak station - then need help from the FLL train station to a hotel in FLL and then further help to the ship but most importantly I need help raising money to buy 49 bottles of wine.

Just trying to add a little humor to the thread.

Cheers

Dennis

Greetings

On all our Princess cruises we carried our own wine aboard. In Port Everglades, there was never a ship's officer, we just went through normal check-in and sent our carry-ons containing wine through the x-ray. Once the operator did ask and we simply stated "that's our wine" and nothing else was said. We did have to remove a corkscrew from our bags on one occasion and show it to the x-ray people, but they let us take it along with no issues. Our cruise last winter on Emerald was 10 days and we took 20 bottles of wine. Other that having to carry them up the stairs to our stateroom (elevators are in short supply on embarktion day) there wasn't a problem. We did have to pay corkage each night, but we drank the wines we like. Don't know if there have been changes for 2012, but that is our experience.

Good Sailing

Tom

To the poster who thinks one bottle per day is a reasonable amount - will you help me load 49 bottles of wine for my upcoming South American cruise in 2013.

Here's the deal - need help from my condo in Vancouver to the Amtrak station - then need help from the FLL train station to a hotel in FLL and then further help to the ship but most importantly I need help raising money to buy 49 bottles of wine.

Just trying to add a little humor to the thread.

Cheers

Dennis

LOL. If I help carry, then I help drink!

See. Your post demonstates the silliness of the "one bottle per voyage" rule. One bottle for a 49 day trip? Hah!

Archived