Princess wine policy

chaunceyb

So it seems the best strategy would be to pack the wine in your suitcase and carry the minimum allowed in your carry-on.

Sailed on Crystal last year out of Barcelona and carried on 8 bottles and they didn't care.

Only cruise ship that ever wanted to confiscate our wine was the Celebrity Infinity (South America/ Antarctica cruise) - we pleaded with office and he just let uis bring the 2 bottles on - this was at one of their port stops.

When planning our next cruise I told our group of TEN I would not sail on RCC because of their band of NO Drink in any stateroom. We aren't planning a wild party but if my wife and I want a late night drink in our room (like we do in any hotel room we stay in). We don't want to get dress and go to a bar for a late night drink. After a day on shore I don't want to be rushed and FORCED to pay for a drink before dinner if I can have one in my room while getting ready. Many of our stops have unique Island alcohol that I would like to sample and bring back on our ship. Curacoa comes to mind

I thought prohibition was repealed

What been your resent experience?

The new wording in the Cruise Answer Place is interesting... 1 bottle (not larger than 750ml) per person, per voyage etc. Also at the bottom is this added statement -

"Princess Cruises is not responsible for any alcoholic beverages confiscated by shoreside security staff. Such items are not eligible for monetary refund or replacement".

On our last cruise out of FLL security was done prior to boarding the ship, actually before checking in, by shoreside (contract?) staff. I'm beginning to think that Princess may be offloading this responsibility to outside workers who will be able to do just about anything they please. These people are likely to be more strict than Princess and it's quite possible the days of more than 1 bottle may soon be gone.

When planning our next cruise I told our group of TEN I would not sail on RCC because of their band of NO Drink in any stateroom. We aren't planning a wild party but if my wife and I want a late night drink in our room (like we do in any hotel room we stay in). We don't want to get dress and go to a bar for a late night drink. After a day on shore I don't want to be rushed and FORCED to pay for a drink before dinner if I can have one in my room while getting ready. Many of our stops have unique Island alcohol that I would like to sample and bring back on our ship. Curacoa comes to mind

No alcohol other than wine and champagne is allowed, but you can try to smuggle it.

I think they were targeting customs staff in the ports, etc, but it would apply in FLL if the scans were done on land (I can't recall if our carryons were screened on the ship or land for embarkation, I want to say ship....)

The new wording in the Cruise Answer Place is interesting... 1 bottle (not larger than 750ml) per person, per voyage etc. Also at the bottom is this added statement -

"Princess Cruises is not responsible for any alcoholic beverages confiscated by shoreside security staff. Such items are not eligible for monetary refund or replacement".

On our last cruise out of FLL security was done prior to boarding the ship, actually before checking in, by shoreside (contract?) staff. I'm beginning to think that Princess may be offloading this responsibility to outside workers who will be able to do just about anything they please. These people are likely to be more strict than Princess and it's quite possible the days of more than 1 bottle may soon be gone.

So it seems the best strategy would be to pack the wine in your suitcase and carry the minimum allowed in your carry-on.

Sailed on Crystal last year out of Barcelona and carried on 8 bottles and they didn't care.

Only cruise ship that ever wanted to confiscate our wine was the Celebrity Infinity (South America/ Antarctica cruise) - we pleaded with office and he just let uis bring the 2 bottles on - this was at one of their port stops.

You obviously haven't been on RCCL within the last couple of years. NOTHING is allowed. :mad:

I also have quit cruising on RCCL because I'm tired of their poor treatment of past passengers (major changes to diamond members) and their RESTRICTIVE alcohol policy. :mad: :mad:

I think they were targeting customs staff in the ports, etc, but it would apply in FLL if the scans were done on land (I can't recall if our carryons were screened on the ship or land for embarkation, I want to say ship....)

We were screened prior to entering the check-in hall where you register and get your room card etc. When we entered the ship all they did was take our picture... no scanners of any type on the ship.

Not sure if I am doing this right, Ubouu ...noticed you did a Grand Mediterranean on Princess we are booked for Grand Mediterranean from Barcelona to Venice on Ruby Princess leaving May 6, 2012, any advice on this trip, or the port in Barcelona for bringing on wine - also wanted to ask about Istanbul, we arrive on Sunday and a lot of places are closed,

I have cruised 5 times in the last 3 years both with RCI and Princess. I agree RCI is very strict; due most likely to generating more revenue by forcing passengers to pay them for their alcohol despite the policy appearance of imposing moderation. For us, this is one big disadvantage with RCI. On the other hand, we have had no problems with Princess either bringing bottles on board at embarkation ( e.g. purchased at the duty free shop across from the San Juan Princess desk) or in ports of call on a Med cruise and bringing onboard. In fact in the Caribbean we even brought aboard a 6 pack of beer no problem from one of the islands, which I would argue is the alcohol equivalent of a 750ml of wine

To the poster who thinks one bottle per day is a reasonable amount - will you help me load 49 bottles of wine for my upcoming South American cruise in 2013.

Here's the deal - need help from my condo in Vancouver to the Amtrak station - then need help from the FLL train station to a hotel in FLL and then further help to the ship but most importantly I need help raising money to buy 49 bottles of wine.

Just trying to add a little humor to the thread.

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis,

I will not be able to help you carry on the wine, I will be carrying on my own alcohol. But we can get together and celebrate the wonderful 49 days.

To the poster who thinks one bottle per day is a reasonable amount - will you help me load 49 bottles of wine for my upcoming South American cruise in 2013.

Here's the deal - need help from my condo in Vancouver to the Amtrak station - then need help from the FLL train station to a hotel in FLL and then further help to the ship but most importantly I need help raising money to buy 49 bottles of wine.

Just trying to add a little humor to the thread.

Cheers

Dennis

Good humor eh? Let me help you a little bit. If you hit Montevideo, take the tour with the stop at the winery. We did and had a great time with the tasting (not really tasting, but gulping). Bought six bottles of Uruguayan Tannat, had no trouble getting it back on the ship and for the rest of the cruise, happy hour was very happy!

Not sure if I am doing this right, Ubouu ...noticed you did a Grand Mediterranean on Princess we are booked for Grand Mediterranean from Barcelona to Venice on Ruby Princess leaving May 6, 2012, any advice on this trip, or the port in Barcelona for bringing on wine - also wanted to ask about Istanbul, we arrive on Sunday and a lot of places are closed,

We do not leave till......Ocean Princess-9/12

21 days Mediterranean Grand Adventure From Barcelona to Venice ??

Maybe they get to keep what they find ... that certainly would incentivize them to intercept liquor, beer, and wine beyond the Cruise Answer Place amount.

Just got off 20 days on Emerald. They did not enforce one bottle of wine policy at all. We brought as many as 6 bottles of wine onboard in Fort Lauderdale and 3 bottles in some island ports. Beer was not a problem either, at least not a six pack.

What a mix of information. :rolleyes: We are looking forward to a no problem cruise. :)

So,,,, I for sure can bring 1 bottle a person and the rest we have to hid :D just like at RCCL. We will start in Fort Lauderdale.

I thought we found a ship-line what is not so fussy :confused:

Guess we don't need to order from Total Wine Store. :mad:

If everyone remembers these things re what is going to be allowed, then the decision on what to carry on will be up to you.

Depends on cruise ship, port and date of cruise. Some here say ships leaving from various European ports are much stricter. Some say certain ships even from US ports are strcter than others. Some say if it's a spring break type cruise, the rules will be more closely followed. As confusing as they are.

Lots of anecdotal information in the threads here. Do your research and then make a decision. But you can't scream "foul" if "something" is taken from you. ;)

PS...we had no trouble/questions carrying on 4 bottles of wine "openly" last month for our 7 day Crown.

Archived