Are luxury cruises really worth the extra expense?

psbfan01

I just did my first cruise on Celebrity Solstice and thought it was very good overall.

I am looking at cruise lines such as Oceania and Regent which charge substantially more, and I am just wondering if the increased cost really is "worth it."

I am hoping some of you have some insight on this ... although I realize peoples opinions will be subjective.

Of particular interest is the food. I thought the food on X ranged from fair to very good ... being the perfectionist, I always see room for improvement!

Also, are the passengers on luxury lines usually more "stuck up" ?!

I will appreciate all comments...

No....they aren't "stuck up"! At least, no more than anywhere else! You can surely have some "stuck up" folks on ANY cruiseline!!!

You actually have quite a mix of passengers...some have lots of disposable income, and some will save and save for the "perfect" vacation. Many (not all) luxury lines are really "all inclusive"....you don't pay for alcohol and you do NOT tip! However, the ships are smaller and there aren't the "bells and whistles" that the mass-market ships have. But, since they're smaller, they're able to go places the large lines can't go!

I just did my first cruise on Celebrity Solstice and thought it was very good overall.

I am looking at cruise lines such as Oceania and Regent which charge substantially more, and I am just wondering if the increased cost really is "worth it."

I will appreciate all comments...

Oceania is a premium line not luxury but if you add up all the extras on X then see what the other lines include it may be worth it

Plus they are smaller ships, less passengers, hardly ever any line ups

It is a personal choice

We love Oceania & will never go back to a mainstream cruise line

YMMV

We have been looking at a Regent cruise which includes air and pre cruise hotel. After doing the math, thinking about what we spend for air, hotel excursions, drinks, etc, the cost came to about 800 more. All the cabins are suites. We never sail in a suite so I would think those of you that do would find the cost just about the same. Regent is a little more casual then Sebourn. I work with a british pathologist who only cruised the luxury lines. He told me that they are done with those lines. He said that most of the converstions onboard consist on who does what, how many cruises, how much money they have, etc etc...:)

Everyone's value proposition can be different. Learn more in this forum about the attributes and personality of different lines (and of the different ships within the line) and find one itinerary/ship/cabin that you think you'll enjoy.

If you are going on a port intensive cruise where sightseeing is your main goal, then how luxurious the ship and your room are is not as important. Many European cruises are like that. My main objective on my cruise to the Baltics was the cities I was seeingYou are also more likely to eat off the ship on those cruises.

On the luxury cruise lines you are in a suite, not a balcony,ov, or inside. Airfare is often included. Gratuities are included. Most alcohol is included. tc. etc. etc. Most whims are catered to. Most things are a notch above the regular lines.

Oceania is not a luxury crise but it is nice.

If you sail in a suite on the regular lines there is not much difference in price.

We really, really, really...really enjoyed our cruise with Oceania. I love the ambiance of a smaller ship; less lineups, better service, better food, more luxurious furnishings, laid back.

On a smaller ship, there's less entertainment, no climbing walls etc., so if you're looking for that, stick to the bigger, mainstream lines.

For us, it will be difficult to go back to mainstream, but luckily there's a cruiseline that will suit everyone's needs/ wants.

What a terrific question which has seldom been asked on CC. DW and I debate this issue all the time. We cruise about 75 days a year and have been on 11 cruise lines (to date) of which several (Crystal, Regent, etc) were ultra luxury lines. We have also cruised on most of the mass market lines and even some budget lines. The answer to your question really depends on your own finanical situation and how you view the value of your money. The luxury lines have many advantages (larger cabins, better cuisine, plenty of available deck chairs) and some are truly all inclusive with drinks and even shore excursions included. On the other hand, some folks feel that these lines are a bit "snooty" and attract an older (that would be me) more sedate passenger. Instead of rock climbing, pool games, water slides, etc. many of these folks are more interested in a good game of bridge run by a decent director.

Lines like Oceania and Azamara kind of fall in the middle between the truly luxury lines (Regent, Seabourn, Silverseas, Sea Dream) and might be a perfect compromise for those who love smaller ships. DW and I actually seek out smaller ships and they even exist on some of the mass market lines such as HAs Prinsendam and a couple of smaller (old Renaissance ships) operated by Princess (Ocean and Pacific Princess).

Hank

Archived