Do you use your mobile phone during your cruise?

Artemis908

I kind of want to bring my phone with my for emergencies and if I could afford it, I'd use it when we are in port for the GPS and maps. I know RCI has the ability to use your phone on the ship, but it's not cheap. We are going to be in Europe though so using the phone everywhere is expensive.

Does anyone have experiences with using their phone while on their cruise or when in port outside the US/Caribbean?

I kind of want to bring my phone with my for emergencies and if I could afford it, I'd use it when we are in port for the GPS and maps. I know RCI has the ability to use your phone on the ship, but it's not cheap. We are going to be in Europe though so using the phone everywhere is expensive.

Does anyone have experiences with using their phone while on their cruise or when in port outside the US/Caribbean?

I text people at home. I have done it on 3 cruises and no charges. Sorry, only in the Caribbean.

I tend to leave family an email I will be checking and then check it every day or so as needed. My MIL was ill many years ago while we were cruising and my parents volunteered to let us know if she got any worse while we were gone. I checked in about the same time every day so they knew when I'd be looking for an update. That only takes 2-3 minutes/day online and depending on your C&A level, you may be able to get that for free onboard.

I know Verizon will allow you to pay extra for international access for a period of time. Not sure about AT&T, but it is worth a call too. I have turned on my phone in US ports (Key West, St. Thomas) before just to see if I had service but not made any calls or accessed anything

:eek:

Cha-ching!

Unless you sign up for some sort of unlimited data plan with your carrier, you could be looking at HUNDREDS of dollars just for a couple hours of data downloads over a week's time.

If you don't really need data, find out if you can switch off that feature, or just get a "dumb" phone with a global SIM card to use overseas. I got one through Telestial, a Motorola Razr with a prepaid SIM card and it worked like a charm in Europe. I think I paid 49 cents a minute for the daily "is everything OK" phone call to my Dad (I had kidnapped Mom and taken her to the Mediterranean :D )

I always use my phone for GPS and other info, like speed and course. I simply put it in airplane mode and it uses no data. Texting, email, and phone are another story. Check with your carrier before you leave. I have Verizon, and they do have a plan for use on a ship, and it used to be pretty reasonable...but no longer.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

I always use my phone for GPS and other info, like speed and course. I simply put it in airplane mode and it uses no data. Texting, email, and phone are another story. Check with your carrier before you leave. I have Verizon, and they do have a plan for use on a ship, and it used to be pretty reasonable...but no longer.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

your GPS worked in airplane mode?

My phone gets shut off the minute I board the ship and doesn't get turned back on until it docks again back home. I am on vacation! Also, I heard it's expensive and I don't want to bother. I do get an internet package on the ship and check email once a day in case there is an emergency from home.

:eek:

Cha-ching!

Unless you sign up for some sort of unlimited data plan with your carrier, you could be looking at HUNDREDS of dollars just for a couple hours of data downloads over a week's time.

If you don't really need data, find out if you can switch off that feature, or just get a "dumb" phone with a global SIM card to use overseas. I got one through Telestial, a Motorola Razr with a prepaid SIM card and it worked like a charm in Europe. I think I paid 49 cents a minute for the daily "is everything OK" phone call to my Dad (I had kidnapped Mom and taken her to the Mediterranean :D )

Can you tell me more about the Telestial phone. I'm going to the mediterranean in Aug. with my sister and I'd like to check in with my husband daily.

Can you tell me more about the Telestial phone. I'm going to the mediterranean in Aug. with my sister and I'd like to check in with my husband daily.

FWIW, the prepaid SIM card is a great option if you are going to Europe from the US. You can buy the cards in lots of places, and they are not very expensive. You need to make sure your phone can accept them, I know me Evo Design can. I'm thinking the iPhones can not. Check with your provider, and they should be able to tell you if your phone will allow another card.

Which carrier do you have for your phone? Many ATT, TMobile, and some Verizon cell phones are quad band GSM, and will work virtually everywhere. The call and text rates are a little higher, but fairly convenient. I know Verizon data roaming is very expensive, so if you are taking a smartphone, be aware, and consider disabling data portion.

We bought an unlocked quad band phone, then purchased a prepaid sim card that works virtually everywhere. Calls and texts are cheaper, plus no surprises. There are a few more more keystrokes required, but it's not difficult. (This was before Verizon had many "global" phones.)

Also, it looks like TMobile prepaid phones will now roam worldwide. http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/content/files/IntlCallingRates.pdf

Feel free to pm me if you want more details.

We bring it, but turn it off once we leave home port. We will bring it ashore, turned off, in case of emergency, but we don't use it unless we're in a port that our plan covers...IF we need to!

If there is an EMERGENCY, I don't mind paying the prices, but just to "touch base".....that's just not needed for a week!

Archived