Past Guest Party and Captain's Cocktail Party?

pcrum

We are sailing on the Ryndam this March. Our last HAL sailing was on the Veendam 5 years ago, so details are a bit fuzzy. I'm wondering if there is a Captain's cocktail party during one of the formal nights and what this party entails?

Also, since this is our 2nd HAL sailing, is there any kind of a past guest party? Also, are all repeat guests able to eat in the MDR upon embarkation?

Thanks for your help!:)

We are sailing on the Ryndam this March. Our last HAL sailing was on the Veendam 5 years ago, so details are a bit fuzzy. I'm wondering if there is a Captain's cocktail party during one of the formal nights and what this party entails?

Also, since this is our 2nd HAL sailing, is there any kind of a past guest party? Also, are all repeat guests able to eat in the MDR upon embarkation?

Thanks for your help!:)

Every ship seems to do these cocktail parties a bit differently (or not at all).

To clarify, there are two type's of parties that could meet your defination of a Captain's coktail party. The first is really the Mariner cocktail party where the Captain toasts all the returning past passengers. Usually held in the main showroom and is short, with one drink (mostly champaign) offered.

The second is a truer cocktail party, hosted by the Captain and perhaps the Hotel Manager. This is usually held between the two dinner dining times and usually last about 30-45 minutes. They can be in a meeting area or the Crow's Nest. The seating may be limited or abundant. Light food is offered by roaming servers. Other servers will get whatever kind of drink you want (or have wine and champaign on their trays). Plenty of time to have more than one drink. There is a receiving line with the Captain and other officers and staff (and their spouses) and they will late wander around the room visiting with the guests. From what I can tell, only a select group of people are invited - the deluxe suite guests, 4 Star Mariners, others who have met or have a connection to some officer/staff, and a few random selections who may have VIP status on the cruise.

Hope this answers you question.

DaveOKC

If your in a suite with access to the Neptune Lounge there will be a short cocktail party with the Captain and officers usually the first evening of the cruise. Suite passengers depending on the length of the cruise may also be invited to another cocktail party.

If they had a cocktail party for all past cruisers it would probably involve most of the passengers on the ship. Why? Most cruisers on-board (in most cases) are repeat Hal cruisers.

So IMO I don't feel you would be invited to any special cocktail party unless your in a suite other than the Captains Welcome Aboard Champagne toast which as previously stated is a glass of champagne.

Our December cruise on the Volendam the suite cocktail party was not held the first evening, instead pre-lunch drinks were held in the Neptune Lounge the following day, with the Captain, Hotel Manager and other officers attending.

I guess it depends on the itinerary of each ship.

Once in a while when sailing out of Montreal, Captain has to be on the bridge and we have Suite Welcome Aboard party next morning.

On Eurodam, every cruise, we had a suite farewell cocktail party in Pinnacle Grill. That was a wonderful party and one we enjoyed very much each of our 5 Eurodam cruises.

We've only had Suite farewell party a few times on other ships and it isn't usual.

Every ship seems to do these cocktail parties a bit differently (or not at all).

To clarify, there are two type's of parties that could meet your defination of a Captain's coktail party. The first is really the Mariner cocktail party where the Captain toasts all the returning past passengers. Usually held in the main showroom and is short, with one drink (mostly champaign) offered.

The second is a truer cocktail party, hosted by the Captain and perhaps the Hotel Manager. This is usually held between the two dinner dining times and usually last about 30-45 minutes. They can be in a meeting area or the Crow's Nest. The seating may be limited or abundant. Light food is offered by roaming servers. Other servers will get whatever kind of drink you want (or have wine and champaign on their trays). Plenty of time to have more than one drink. There is a receiving line with the Captain and other officers and staff (and their spouses) and they will late wander around the room visiting with the guests. From what I can tell, only a select group of people are invited - the deluxe suite guests, 4 Star Mariners, others who have met or have a connection to some officer/staff, and a few random selections who may have VIP status on the cruise.

DaveOKC

Just back from the Zaandam, and this is exactly what they did...a champagne toast in the showroom, and a private party in the Crow's Nest for those who qualified.

DaveOKC

Concur with the added note that those on collector cruises might be added to the list above or in fact have their own cp

So IMO I don't feel you would be invited to any special cocktail party unless your in a suite other than the Captains Welcome Aboard Champagne toast which as previously stated is a glass of champagne.

I thought that too, until we happened to be invited with 4 other couples to cocktails and dinner with the Hotel Manager (James Deering) & Medical Center Director (Kelli, RN). This was on our Feb 4-18, 2012 ms Oosterdam cruise to Hawaii. Cocktails were in the PG Bar, and dinner was served in the Boardroom.

The night before our 3rd formal, our dining room steward, Rana, approached us and said he recommended us to have dinner with the Hotel Manager, James Deering, for the 3rd formal night. He stated that every cruise the DR Stewards pick out guests for this dinner (thanks again Rana). First we met for cocktails, and then we were wined & dined for almost 2 hours! One other couple, Lille (Sotovoce) & her husband, were CC members, the other couples were not. It was a wonderful dinner, and the hosts were outstanding!! It was a big surprise and honor to be invited, and we really enjoyed it!

(I know that night was not with the Captain (although he was in the PG Bar), but it was just as special to us)!!

On my Veendam South America/Antarctica cruise I was very surprised to be invited to the question and answer session with the Hotel Manager and also to Cocktails with the Captain in the Crows Nest. The only thing that I could figure out is that I had made arrangements for the CC Meet and Greet and came to their attention that way. The CD said I must have smiled correctly at someone because members of the crew make suggestions to the guest list.

I thought that too, until we happened to be invited with 4 other couples to cocktails and dinner with the Hotel Manager (James Deering) & Medical Center Director (Kelli, RN). This was on our Feb 4-18, 2012 ms Oosterdam cruise to Hawaii. Cocktails were in the PG Bar, and dinner was served in the Boardroom.

The night before our 3rd formal, our dining room steward, Rana, approached us and said he recommended us to have dinner with the Hotel Manager, James Deering, for the 3rd formal night. He stated that every cruise the DR Stewards pick out guests for this dinner (thanks again Rana). First we met for cocktails, and then we were wined & dined for almost 2 hours! One other couple, Lille (Sotovoce) & her husband, were CC members, the other couples were not. It was a wonderful dinner, and the hosts were outstanding!! It was a big surprise and honor to be invited, and we really enjoyed it!

(I know that night was not with the Captain (although he was in the PG Bar), but it was just as special to us)!!

Wow! What fun! The dining room steward noticed that your group was particularly interesting, outgoing, and fun. What a wonderful compliment:D

Archived