Experience of non smokers

tine-tine

I can't stand watching someone chewing gum. Horrible habit. Plus it mucks up pavements, shopping malls, etc. which costs a fortune to get cleaned up.

My worse experience was on a flight when my blanket dropped to the floor and when I picked it up there was gum on it which then adhered itself to my silk blouse. Yuck.

So yes, that's a vice which does affect me.

Can anyone explain the logic for a non-smoker to expect a smoker to not smoke in a designated smoking area? Further, why the non-smoker thinks the smoker is rude because he / she continues to smoke? There is something drastically wrong with this equation. [/size]

I am also a nonsmoker and can't explain this. I'm actually grateful for the change as now I know I won't have an issue with the cabin (assuming the policy is followed). I can always come in from my balcony; I can't easily change rooms or easily get the smell of smoke out of my cabin as I recently discovered on the Oosterdam.

Since when is drinking not a vise? Or is this another thing you are twisting around to make yourself perfect?

You can drink yourself silly on a cruise ship & unless your puking on someone or being obnoxious in a lounge, who cares.

No one says I'm perfect but at least my vises affect no one but myself. No smoker can claim that unless they only smoke in their own homes & keep the windows closed.

Hey everyone. Those of you whose posts I've read and learned from since joining CC in August 2011 know that this discussion is going nowhere. Changes will only happen when/if HAL realizes that there are negative financial implications to allowing smoking on the balconies. Until then, nothing that is said here will change anything, but it will allow these somewhat nasty arguments to continue, which affects the overall friendly and helpful tone of this forum.

I personally wish that the mods would just say: smoking threads are no longer allowed - go see the policy of the cruise line you are sailing on.

JMHO

Hey everyone. Those of you whose posts I've read and learned from since joining CC in August 2011 know that this discussion is going nowhere. Changes will only happen when/if HAL realizes that there are negative financial implications to allowing smoking on the balconies. Until then, nothing that is said here will change anything, but it will allow these somewhat nasty arguments to continue, which affects the overall friendly and helpful tone of this forum.

I personally wish that the mods would just say: smoking threads are no longer allowed - go see the policy of the cruise line you are sailing on.

JMHO

Excellent idea!

JMHO

What a sensible post! I am with you 100%.

I wasn't advocating censorship Sail, (although when I re read my original post, I might inadvertently have been) so I'm sorry if that's the way it read. You are right, I don't need to read them.

See you on the other threads.:)

I think it's just that I feel the more HAL hears from people who don't want veranda smoking the better chance they reconsider their decision. It was all the 'speaking up' that got smoking stopped in Ocean Bar and other spots around the ship. If they get a feel for wide variety of people's opinions, maybe they will make a change sooner rather than later?

Then again, maybe not?

Other than that, Mar....... I agree with you. The conversation never goes anywhere or solves anything.

The only people who wish there were no more smoking threads are the smokers who don't want to see any more restrictions imposed on them. They want things the way they were years ago where there was unlimited smoking, even in the dining rooms and show lounges.

Please don't read them if it's upsetting. No one is forcing the thread on anybody.

Need to put things in perspective. Not debating the disadvantages of smoking, (as an ex smoker whose DH still has the habit) but is there a much bigger issue that negatively impacts both health and climate?

Food for thought as we beat up on each other.

http://earthjustice.org/features/ocean-pollution-global-shipping-and-the-cruise-industry

The only people who wish there were no more smoking threads are the smokers who don't want to see any more restrictions imposed on them. They want things the way they were years ago where there was unlimited smoking, even in the dining rooms and show lounges.

Please don't read them if it's upsetting. No one is forcing the thread on anybody.

Apparently you do not have the ability to comprehend anything. Also, do you really think others enjoy seeing a drunk? That is disgusting.

For all considerate nonsmokers: Please, my snide comments are not meant toward you. It is so unfortunate that just a few have to be so rude to constantly create issues. As I stated before, I am a nonsmoker and I find this thread frustrating. Guess it is just the fact that I would rather not admit that a human being can be so inconsiderate and rude as a few nonsmokers on this thread.

I think it's just that I feel the more HAL hears from people who don't want veranda smoking the better chance they reconsider their decision. It was all the 'speaking up' that got smoking stopped in Ocean Bar and other spots around the ship. If they get a feel for wide variety of people's opinions, maybe they will make a change sooner rather than later?

Then again, maybe not?

Other than that, Mar....... I agree with you. The conversation never goes anywhere or solves anything.

I am with Sail on this. Smoking is a "hot button" topic and any discussion on this topic runs the risk of bringing forth rudeness from both sides but at least airing our opinions is one way to make Seattle aware that the issue is still with us.

I bet we are all nice, friendly cruisers who feel our comments are NOT meant to be personal attacks but rather a voicing of strong opinions for a variety of personal reasons.

Apparently you do not have the ability to comprehend anything. Also, do you really think others enjoy seeing a drunk? That is disgusting.

For all considerate nonsmokers: Please, my snide comments are not meant toward you. It is so unfortunate that just a few have to be so rude to constantly create issues. As I stated before, I am a nonsmoker and I find this thread frustrating. Guess it is just the fact that I would rather not admit that a human being can be so inconsiderate and rude as a few nonsmokers on this thread.

Calling people rude is rude.

I am with Sail on this. Smoking is a "hot button" topic and any discussion on this topic runs the risk of bringing forth rudeness from both sides but at least airing our opinions is one way to make Seattle aware that the issue is still with us.

Perhaps, but I believe the extremely militant "anti" (and some "pro") positions posted on these threads do not necessarily represent the opinion of the majority of cruisers, who probably don't bother to post on or even read these threads. I just hope Seattle keeps that in mind too.

JMHO

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!

Joanie

I think it's just that I feel the more HAL hears from people who don't want veranda smoking the better chance they reconsider their decision. It was all the 'speaking up' that got smoking stopped in Ocean Bar and other spots around the ship.

I agree with you.

Archived