Portofino

betta128

The amount of the charge that goes to the staff is very small. I always leave more, unless the service is seriously deficient.

This ^

A "certain person" around here would like everyone to believe that the 20.00 upcharge IS the tip and that simply isnt the case.

This is always a hot topic ... the cover charge is advertised as "gratuity included" but you will have the opportunity to add more. The amount of the included gratuity is a subject often debated with about the only consensus being it's more than nothing and less than anywhere near the full amount. Some will leave nothing extra. Some will leave a little extra. Some will leave a lot extra.

. Some will leave nothing extra. Some will leave a little extra. Some will leave a lot extra.

I left 20% at Chops which is my "normal" tipping amount and plan on doing the same at Portofino on the Freedom.

I imagine the staffs cut is very very small because when you think about it, thats a lot of upgraded food they put out at a very reasonable price. They have to pay for that food or at least offset some of the cost of it somehow!

I left 20% at Chops which is my "normal" tipping amount and plan on doing the same at Portofino on the Freedom.

I imagine the staffs cut is very very small because when you think about it, thats a lot of upgraded food they put out at a very reasonable price. They have to pay for that food or at least offset some of the cost of it somehow!

Would that be 20% of $40?

yes thats what I meant :) its really not a lot and if they go above and beyond, I may just leave a little more.

Gotcha - thanks - we usually do $10

On our last cruise we had an issue in the Main dining room and chose not to go back - we ate every nite after that except 1 in Portofino - a total of 4 x - at the end of the week in addition to the $10 we gave the waiter and asst waiter (had the same ones each time) an envelope and gave the maitre d an envelope. They deserved it. Treated us so well! And I believe they really appreciated it.

• 1 month later...
How does tipping in Portofino work if you are on MTD and have pre paid your tips.

I don't think one has anything to do with the other. The surcharge you pay for the specialty restaurants includes a small gratuity. I penned in an extra twenty spot. The included tip was like three or four dollars. I would not have felt right leaving such a small tip.

We did the Portofino Wine Dinner which was something like $56 per person. The service was excellent and they were generous with the wine so we tipped 20% on top of that just like we would at a normal restaurant. Our waiter looked pleasantly surprised.

I think this is going to be a cultural thing then for me. If there is a gratuity included in the tab that I sign then I wouldn't add to it. Wine isn't included in the normal dinner so if we just ordered straight off the menu with no special "attention" required by us then I would consider the included tip enough.

This is always a hot topic ... the cover charge is advertised as "gratuity included" but you will have the opportunity to add more. The amount of the included gratuity is a subject often debated with about the only consensus being it's more than nothing and less than anywhere near the full amount. Some will leave nothing extra. Some will leave a little extra. Some will leave a lot extra.

Exactly.

If someone wants to leave any amount extra, that's great. If someone considers the bill to be paid by the surcharge, that is fine as well.

Archived