Passport Expiration Question

cruise4family

We are on the Miracle on May 22, 2012 to May 30, 2012 sailing from and returning to New York City, stopping at Grand Turk Island and Nassau, Bahamas. Our child’s (age 13) passport is expiring on October 31, 2012. This is 5 months from the end of the cruise. All the websites say that passports needs to be valid for 6 months beyond the end of the cruise. Do we need to get her a new passport prior to the trip, or will this passport be okay to use? I think the 6 month rule is just in case you are detained and need to fly home later on. I just can't seem to get a straight answer from any website searched. Anybody have the definitive answer? Thank you!

I believe the rule is passport must be good for 6 months from return date. Had friend who was going to Honduras for missionary work. At the airport was denied boarding because his passport would expire before the 6 month time. I'd sure call an authorized passport office to verify. Can't think of many things more disappointing than getting all the way to the airport only to be denied boarding for something I could easily have taken care of. Good luck.

This expiration limit does depend on what countries you are going to.

I am not sure for you as you are American but for Canadians Nassau requires 6 months Grand Turk does not.

I do know US citizens are still allowed to board ships with only Birth certificates still when they are sailing what is called a closed loop- out and back to a US port. Something we have never been allowed to do.

You'll be OK.

I have the same situation with my son's passport for our upcoming cruise. I called Carnival multiple times (since I have read often here that different Carnival reps will tell you different things). All said that his passport would be just fine for our Mexico cruise.

We are on the Miracle on May 22, 2012 to May 30, 2012 sailing from and returning to New York City, stopping at Grand Turk Island and Nassau, Bahamas. Our child’s (age 13) passport is expiring on October 31, 2012. This is 5 months from the end of the cruise. All the websites say that passports needs to be valid for 6 months beyond the end of the cruise. Do we need to get her a new passport prior to the trip, or will this passport be okay to use? I think the 6 month rule is just in case you are detained and need to fly home later on. I just can't seem to get a straight answer from any website searched. Anybody have the definitive answer? Thank you!

No there is no need to renew early. The passport rules (about length of validity) apply when you are staying in the country on a planned trip, not when you are there for the day, in fact the country will never see your passport.

The US government doesn't care either as long as it is valid on the day you return.

Want some confirmation of this? You may make this cruise without a passport, all you need is a certified birth certificate and if 16 and over a valid state issued ID with a photo (not required if under 16).

It should be noted that many, if not most of the Caribbean islands on cruise itineraries have entry requirements for cruise passengers that are different from those for visitors arriving for longer stays.

Generally, but everyone must do their own checking, cruise passengers simply have to satisfy requirements that are no more onerous than those required for re-entry into the US at the end of the cruise - (closed loop cruises).

I just sent in our renewals. The current cost is $110. Someone told me they are now only good for 5 years, but I have not confirmed it. Does anyone know for sure?

Kids (under 18) are good for 5 years. Adults are good for 10 years.

I decided not to take the risk and got my son a renewal. It took exactly 2 weeks to get the new one. Now he is good for 10 years!

Did they change that? Until recently passports for minors were good for 5 years, adults for 10 years. You might want to double check it- doesn't sound right. And I would be very worried that the passport would not be valid if in fact it were issued for 10 years in error.

Myunderstanding is that for kids under 16, there is no "renewal" per se. The process is exactly the same as getting a new one (except you include your old passport with the application).

It's good for 5 years.

Only those issued to someone 16 or older are good for 10 years.

See: http://travel.state.gov/passport/

GP

The renewal was $110.00 plus a $25 fee I paid to the Post Office to send in all the forms, etc.

For anyone renewing their passport, you can save yourself the $25 processing fee by filling out this form Form DS-82: Application for a U.S. Passport by Mail. and mail it in yourself. I just did it for myself and DS. I just had to include the check with our full name and birthdate in each one and mail in the old passport. They suggest mailing it in an envelope that is large enough so that you don't fold the application. You had to staple one photo on the application (even though they give you two when you have them taken.)

It cost $6.10 to mail them (delivery confirmation).

Does the renewal cost the same as getting a new one?

$110 + 25 + 10 if they take the pix for you....i just renewed 3 passports! $145 each per adult..slightly less for under 16...bring old pp..social security number....birth certs..even for renewal...and both parents or a notarized statement from the other parent if kid is under 16.. but maybe it is 14..call and ask.......also credit card..And your checkbook...dept of state requires a check......other fee can be paid by cc.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question about the passport 6 month expiration rule. Apparently, the 6 month is a suggestion from the State Department. I finally called Carnival and an agent told me that as long as the passport doesn't expire during the cruise, we should be fine. Also, as someone previously wrote, closed-loop cruises have less stringent rules (children can sail with a birth certificate).

As a former employee of one of the U.S. Department of State's Passport Offices, I urge everyone to read the DOS website for information on Passports before applying for or renewing a passport. It should answer all your questions and will be more accurate than some of the statements given here.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

Archived