Question re: adding a pax after final payment

agc291

We are looking to book a 4 day cruise in April with 2 staterooms. One room will be me & my bf and the other stateroom is just his friend. We know that his friend will have to pay 200% for the room but we wanted to know if it was possible to add someone to his room later on and just pay the additional fees? Final payment is March 01. BTW we are booking PG Rate.

We would prefer for someone to come with but so far no one is available to come anywhere near that time. We want to go ahead and book today but I am nervous about not being able to add someone.

We are looking to book a 4 day cruise in April with 2 staterooms. One room will be me & my bf and the other stateroom is just his friend. We know that his friend will have to pay 200% for the room but we wanted to know if it was possible to add someone to his room later on and just pay the additional fees? Final payment is March 01. BTW we are booking PG Rate.

We would prefer for someone to come with but so far no one is available to come anywhere near that time. We want to go ahead and book today but I am nervous about not being able to add someone.

Since the friend has already paid 200%, the additional guest will just have to pay the govt taxes and fees.

Yes you can add someone. just pay the add on taxes and fees.

Since the friend has already paid 200%, the additional guest will just have to pay the govt taxes and fees.

Great!! We will book tonight :) Thanks!!!

As others have already said....yes you should be able to add someone - UNLESS the ship is already booked to capacity.

Good luck!

What do you mean by booked to capacity? Are they only allowed to have a certain # of total people on board? Even if there are open spaces in rooms?

Makes sense, I guess I just never really thought about it.

What do you mean by booked to capacity? Are they only allowed to have a certain # of total people on board? Even if there are open spaces in rooms?

Makes sense, I guess I just never really thought about it.

Exactly!

There is a preset max passenger capacity - and if that number has been reached it won't matter that you have an "extra" bed in your room. They will not be permitted to make the reservation.

April is still far enough away that I doubt its an issue. I just wanted you to be aware in case that's what they tell you - when you call. Since no one else had mentioned it ;).

Exactly!

There is a preset max passenger capacity - and if that number has been reached it won't matter that you have an "extra" bed in your room. They will not be permitted to make the reservation.

April is still far enough away that I doubt its an issue. I just wanted you to be aware in case that's what they tell you - when you call. Since no one else had mentioned it ;).

True. An empty bed itself doesn't count. Think of it, what if all the cabins that hold 3, 4 or 5 are filled? That would quickly fill the passenger quota.

Should not be a problem at all. The new passenger will pay the fees and the difference in the fare.

The above is incorrect. They also have to pay the difference in the fare.

Being that April is Spring Break, the ship may fill up fast. Once the deck your friend is on hits passenger max, they may not be able to add a second person to that cabin. If they are able to, they will just pay taxes/fees since the solo pax already has paid for both berths. Good luck...Happy Sailing!

Should not be a problem at all. The new passenger will pay the fees and the difference in the fare.

Shouldn't be a fare difference, Carnival is 200% already. I had to pay a fare difference once, but on another cruiseline. The second fare was not 200% as it had a reduced solo rate. That was the only time an increase in fare has been in effect.

I saw a special on tv last night that said cruise lines try to book every bed no matter what. That is their maximum. If there is an empty bed you should be fine.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, that is NOT correct!! There is a passenger capacity set - for the ship as a whole - and that the maximum number of passengers allowed. What you saw probably referred to the max capacity number - NOT the number of beds.

As Ruthlessboss pointed out - many cabins "can" hold 2, 3, 4 or 5 - but every time a reservation is made the number of passengers counts toward the maximum capacity.

An empty bed in a cabin DOES NOT mean you can add to your reservation.

Shouldn't be a fare difference, Carnival is 200% already. I had to pay a fare difference once, but on another cruiseline. The second fare was not 200% as it had a reduced solo rate. That was the only time an increase in fare has been in effect.

The added person is at the PREVAILING rate. So they would have to pay Govt taxes, fees and the difference between rate originally paid and the current rate. Now if the prevailing rate is lower, they would then be a refund of the difference or an OBC if after final.

Dave

• 3 months later...

Sorry to resurface this thread, but I just want to confirm:

1. You can add a passenger after the final payment date, as long as the original passenger booked in the cabin is still a passenger?

2. The additional cost is the fees/taxes PLUS any additional fare cost at the current rate?

3. If the ship is at capacity already, the person can't be added?

I am particularly asking about adding after final payment date and it doesn't matter if the original booking was ES, PG, etc.

Thank you!!

1. You can add a passenger after the final payment date, as long as the original passenger booked in the cabin is still a passenger?

2. The additional cost is the fees/taxes PLUS any additional fare cost at the current rate?

I am particularly asking about adding after final payment date and it doesn't matter if the original booking was ES, PG, etc.

Thank you!!

I just booked a spring break cruise yesterday on the Conquest..March 31 is the sail date. I booked two 2 person rooms (inside and a balcony)with 1 passenger in each of them for now..there will be 4 of us.. but I didn't have the deposit from one of the kid s friends yet. I paid $500 for the 2 deposits and my PVP said I could add the other 2 whenever I wanted, but not to wait until the month before as the ship could reach capacity by then and I could not add them then. He said for that date anytime in the next few months would be just fine to add them.

Thank you!!

sorry forgot this part... PVP said the second person in the room would be $58 for tax and fees on a 7 night cruise

Also doesn't matter what you booked ES..etc and long as there is space in the room and on the ship

I believe that there would be no extra cost other that the taxes no matter what the current rate is because the single person that is already in the room is essentially paying a two person rate anyway

To clarify my post. My fare difference was paid when passenger #2 was added because I originally booked as solo on NCL. At the time of my booking, there was a special going on for solos (so the cost of the cruise was not double in the first place). When I added my friend, his rate was upped to the standard rate, plus taxes etc.

In this case, I was able to book the second person because the ship was not at full capacity. If it had been, I couldn't add someone in my "empty bed".

With our cruise, we added 2 people to our cabin. They each paid only the 3rd and 4th passenger rate... no increase...

It isn't just empty berths or cabins that count: it is the distribution of passengers on the ship. Each muster station has a finite number of seats in its lifeboats. If a muster station has a lot of cabins with 3/4/5 people in them, the spaces might be full, even if there are empty cabins in that area. If you booked a cabin with the intention of adding a person later, if the muster station slots are full, it would not be allowed. EM

Similar question. If DH and I book a cruise and later decide to bring DD, can we do that as long as the stateroom can accommodate three?

I'm booking for 2014 and don't intend to bring DD but that could change as it's so far away.

Archived