Here's Why You Don't Take Your Passports Off The Ship

kitty9

I have a plasticised laminated copy of the back page of my passport that I take ashore. It serves as ID if asked to provide it at all points apart from borders which I do not expect to be crossing. Personally I prefer it when I have to surrender my passport as I know it is safe in the ships hands. I never take the passports ashore unless it is a country that required it ( ie Vietnam)

The poster was correct we have seen ships personnel hand passports to a port agent as we were leaving after several announcements looking for passenger x. I can only assume they had gone and looked in their safe as this was not a cruise we handed in the passports on. So maybe another message, in case anyone does otherwise is, always leave your passport in your safe not hidden somewhere else in your room when you are ashore.

A clear copy of your passport would help greatly if you need to get a copy, will speed things up with the authorities.

I get all of that......and I also have surrendered my passport many times.....

Your rant about cash / cc / jewelry was not appreciated....

What I stated ........and what I didn't get........is the advice to take a photocopy ashore. Why do you need a photocopy.......unless you think it will be accepted in place of your passport.........and there are folks that think this.......and they think getting the photocopy notarized will make it even more acceptable.....;)

The photocopy will expedite a replacement should one be needed.

If this doesn't prove that you shouldn't take your passports off the ship, nothing will.

Truer words were never spoken. You see, this doesn't PROVE any such thing, and you are correct that NOTHING WILL.

I will NEVER get off the ship without a passport. I don't care what the cruise line suggests. When I'm on foreign soil, the single most valuable thing I can have is my passport. Fear of losing it totally absurd, and basically reserved for people who really shouldn't be traveling anyway if that's what they are afraid of.

In regards to this topic you have to ask yourself one question. Would you rather be stranded in a foreign country without your passport or would you rather be on US soil without a passport?

For me its a no brainer, I would rather take the chance of losing or getting my passport stolen while off the ship, in which case I can still get back on the ship and back to the US. If you don't have your passport with you and miss the ship for whatever reason (which is more likely to happen anyway) it is going to be much more difficult to get back to the US or the next port of call. In short I would much rather attempt to get back in the US without a passport while on US soil than in a foreign country.

Also, carrying a copy of your passport off the ship does you absolutly NO GOOD. It will not aid you in getting back to the US or anywhere else. A copy of the passport will only help in getting a new passport which you won't need until you get home anyway.

For all those folks out there that think a photocopy of a passport is a good thing:

Next time you go through a passport control......don't use your passport. Break out the photocopy of your passport (even better a notarized copy).......and let us all know what the passport officer said to you after they were presented with the photocopy.....;)

You are only taking a copy of your passport to have all the information you need if stranded. Not to use as an official document.

I always take my passport with me:eek:.......maybe I am lucky, dumb

or a little bit of both:o.....after cruising for the past 9 years and now

going on my first trip to the Med....I was not planning to leave my

passport on board the ship:confused::eek:....I always thought I need to take

it with me.

DH and I are about to renew our passports (6 mos to expiration) and I'm thinking about investing in the passport card along with the regular passport. The thought being that I can leave the passport in the hotel/ship safe etc and just use the card as an additional form of identification.

Has anyone else done this? Is it worth the extra expense? I like lots of backups so the cost seems worth it to me. I also put photocopies of my passport in luggage and leave one at home for emergencies. It also let's me leave my passport at home when I take domestic flights which I usually carry as a backup to my driver's license. Thoughts?

I'm with those who take their passport with them. Mine is always with me. A passport is a document that proves your identity and citizenship everywhere, without question. Some foreign authority may well accept a photocopy as proof of ID, but it is not assured.

As to accepting that the ship will make sure your passport is removed from your safe and left with the port agent, they may do it indeed. But I've cruised enough to know that they don't do as advertised or expected enough that I'm not going to count on it.

The only thing the Puerto Vallarta incident proves is that you should have a copy of your passport information to help facilitate a replacement.

Most ports accept electronic registration. I have never had to surrender my passport while waiting to get off a ship. I know that staff do not raid my safe for a passport that they may need

Having your passport kept by the cruise ship used to be the norm, and is still in practiced on runs that go to less traveled ports. Guess it's been ten years since the cruise ship held ours.

We usually just take a photocopy of our passports with us BUT there are times it make far better sense to bring the real McCoy with us.

If we're taking a self tour that has an increased chance of missing the ship the passports ALWAYS come with us. I like to self charter boats where I can get to islands and hide-aways no cruise ship passenger tour will ever see. There is always a small chance a break down could occur, though none ever has. Rescue may come too late so we build all eventualities into our planning.

If you don't take your passport off the ship, and you miss the ship, you can not fly to the next destination or back home without a passport. I also take several copies as there are some bogus police scams in europe that end up taking your passport. Most police accept copies.

If you have your photo driver ID with you, you certainly can.

If you have your photo driver ID with you, you certainly can.

Only if you miss the ship in LA and need to re-board in San Fran.:D

As the others said, international flight or even a US-Canada land or sea crossing you need a passport.

Thanks to the OP for pointing out that 22 people out of roughly 20 million annual cruise passengers were robbed of their passports. I believe that the chances of having a passport stolen while in transit before your cruise, or even misplacing it while on the ship, are probably greater.

Personally, I think the decision to carry a passport is a separate decision unrelated to the chance of being robbed while on a cruise line tour. When we do carry our passport (and we usually do not) I carry it in a hidden wallet similar to a money belt worn underneath our outer clothing. The thieves would get my wallet with my ship card, cash and one credit card and I'd have my passport, extra cash and a backup credit card with me.

US has a passport card you can get. size of a credit card. easy to put in your pocket. it is in addition to having the passport so you have 2 to work with at all times... copies of both are at home and on board as well.

I don't think the passport card would help any more than a drivers license or photocopy of a passport while you're on a cruise. It won't get you on an international flight. Unless you are using them to cross the border on land between the USA and Canada or Mexico I don't thing they are anything more than just another form of ID.

You obviously don't get it, or refuse to listen to the majority of the people here who have experience in this matter. No one is saying not to use your passport when going through required passport control points. That is when it should be on your person. But when it is not needed, it is safer in your stateroom safe. If you miss your ship, the cruise line knows who you are because your sea pass card will not have been swiped to get you back on board. If that happens, the ship's security staff will remove your passport from your safe and give it to their agent in the port, the very same person who you will be complaining loudly to that the captain has deliberately left you stranded. So, you will have it - courtesy of the ship's staff, even if it was in your safe - where it should be for safety.

So you think that 5 minutes before the ship sails without you on it, someone from security will go to your cabin, open your safe, retrieve the passports, and give them to the port agent...all BEFORE the ship sails? I have my doubts about that.

So you think that 5 minutes before the ship sails without you on it, someone from security will go to your cabin, open your safe, retrieve the passports, and give them to the port agent...all BEFORE the ship sails? I have my doubts about that.

I've heard they do from a ton of different sources. No proof though.

If they couldn't get it before actually leaving the dock they would give it to the pilot, who is the last dirt dweller to leave the ship.

Whether you carry your passport off the ship is a personal decision and what you do won't bother me.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=32597723&posted=1#post32597723

My personal view is that unless there is some special reason to carry it(like taking a tour that may threaten your returning on time) leave it on the ship.

The number 1 reason someone goes to an embassy is lost(or mutilated so its no longer valid-ie. taking it swimming with you) or stolen passport.

While people have accidents and get arrested those are far down on the reason people need a replacement passport or help from the embassy. They are NOT number 1 as reported above. Arrests happen relatively rarely and you are better off without the passport if you do.

Cruise lines have protocols to follow when someone "misses" the ship. Some include getting the clothes and passports ashore..but I haven't actually seen them.

People believe in this like it's gospel truth. But it's utter nonsense. Has it happened? Sure! Is it the norm, or in any way a certainty? Absolutely not!

Traditionally, when the cruise ship held the passports, this was much more likely to occur. But rushing to a cabin and hoping to find the passport is a pipe dream, albeit one many, many people around here certainly do cling to!

Passport card might be useful at US customs, where they can scan it and bring up the info in their computer. But it's not likely to be as well received at some of the outposts you might end up while cruising.

While it does sound logical that a passport card "might" be better than other unacceptable documents the fact is that it is is not acceptable for passing through customs except at a land based boarder between the USA and Mexico or Canada. The only acceptable document for other border crossings is the full passport book.

It would be interesting to find out if it actually was more helpful than another document in the case of a lost passport, but absent a policy statement by the state department or a number of actual reports we're just guessing about the usefulness of the card.

People believe in this like it's gospel truth. But it's utter nonsense. Has it happened? Sure! Is it the norm, or in any way a certainty? Absolutely not!

Traditionally, when the cruise ship held the passports, this was much more likely to occur. But rushing to a cabin and hoping to find the passport is a pipe dream, albeit one many, many people around here certainly do cling to!

I've read about this quite a number of times, but don't rely on this when deciding if I should carry my passport or not. However, I'd presume that the only place security would look in such cases would be the stateroom safe and that substantially all passengers who do leave their passports behind leave them there. So there isn't likely to be much searching going on.

The whole topic is a catch 22 situation. You are required to produce your passport when asked in Europe. Some countries will even take you "downtown" to their station house until you can produce it.

If you miss your boat (literally), you could very well have to travel thru another country to pick it up.... if the quickest way is air, you'll need that passport that's sitting securely inside the safe on the ship.

Having said that.... I NEVER take my passport ashore. I try to protect it at all costs. I do carry a copy, to produce to prove while I am not legal without it, I do have one, and can retrieve it if necessary. It is a totally useless piece of paper, but can be used as evidence that one might exist.

Jewelry?? Never take with me.

I'm not up to the challenge of attempting Customs with my D.L and no passport, but I'll support anyone that wants to try (here's where I'll be a fly on the wall). The fiercest ugliest Customs workers I have ever met were US. Italy being the most laid back.

While it does sound logical that a passport card "might" be better than other unacceptable documents the fact is that it is is not acceptable for passing through customs except at a land based boarder between the USA and Mexico or Canada. The only acceptable document for other border crossings is the full passport book.

From what I've heard of the passport-card, it sounds a lot like the "enhanced" drivers' licenses, offered by a few states (including WA). The enhanced WDL allows the holder to cross into Canada and Mexico by land or sea -- like the ferries between Seattle and Victoria. But, it does NOT work at airports -- even if you're only flying to Canada.

The whole topic is a catch 22 situation. You are required to produce your passport when asked in Europe. Some countries will even take you "downtown" to their station house until you can produce it.

You have to show ID...your driver's license will do. Even if you don't have it, as soon as you open your mouth they will know you are an American. Most countries rely to a great extent om tourists and they don't want to be known as places that hassle them and the police know this...

Archived